Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Astronomy and Amateur Science
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 05:44 AM
ispom
admirer of the sky

galactic center

did you see already,
this phantastic picture of the galactic center, taken by Spitzer?

http://www.spitzer.caltech.edu/Media...2006-02a.shtml

there is also a only 3 MB version in APOD, beautiful even though!

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ima...pitzer_f40.jpg
Old 24-02-2007, 08:16 PM
danielsun
Canon collector

Thanks for the link ispom!
Very interesting and What great shots!! I wish i had a spitzer telescope in my backyard.
Old 24-02-2007, 08:38 PM
DobDobDob (Ron)
Blacktown isn't so black

and to think....in our own small way, we are all part of it.....
Old 25-02-2007, 04:07 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

AND when you think that at any given moment a piece of a star, or some part of radiation and presumably some particles as well, even stuff from the start of time, a piece of everything from everywhere hits every part of our body and every part of our world .
alex
Old 25-02-2007, 04:11 PM
DobDobDob (Ron)
Blacktown isn't so black

Sounds like you have come to terms with neutrinos

EDIT: purloined from Wiki

Neutrinos are elementary particles. Travelling close to the speed of light, lacking electric charge and able to pass through ordinary matter almost undisturbed, their detection is extremely challenging. Neutrinos were once thought to have no mass, but they are now known to have a minuscule (but non-zero) mass.

Neutrinos are created as a result of certain types of radioactive decay or nuclear reactions such as those in the sun, in nuclear reactors, or when cosmic rays hit molecules. There are three types, or "flavors", of neutrinos: electron neutrinos, muon neutrinos and tau neutrinos; each type also has an antimatter partner, an antineutrino. Electron neutrinos or antineutrinos are involved whenever neutrons change into protons or vice versa, in the two forms of beta decay.

Most neutrinos which pass through the Earth emanate from the sun and more than 50 trillion solar electron neutrinos pass through the human body every second.
Old 25-02-2007, 06:01 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Terrific images, but Geez it's a mess out there!
Old 25-02-2007, 06:03 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

One source of gravity rain I recon
Hey thanks for all that . I find it facinating they give them mass as my particle needed mass to work so I am claiming it until they find another that I like better
thanks again
alex
Old 25-02-2007, 06:36 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hey Ron It may be time to place my ideas on why there may not be the black holes we expect to find in fact none at all .. just because a theory says something is possible that does not establish its existence in the real world unfortunately . I was reading about concerns with string theory and the implications on inflation, dark matter and even dark energy,,they cant touch that one its already been seen and other things abandonment of string theory will imply.. so I need to be ready with some alternatives and it very much suits my purpose to retain dark energy but get rid of dark matter.. my Universe works better that way I like string theory is says there are billions of Universes possible so maybe one of them works as I see it .. Do you recon all those particles could be responsible for dark energy ? or an overall pressure in the Universe that could cause it to appear to be expanding?
Ken there may be other poluters out there besides us do you recon?
alex
Old 25-02-2007, 06:39 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Ken there may be other poluters out there besides us do you recon?
alex
Yep, and it looks like they have a 'gas' problem
Old 25-02-2007, 06:54 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I think as species advance they produce more hot air.. and thats not trying to say I am a very advanced specimen of our species.. Looking at the photograph and thinking about even that is such a small fraction of everything really makes one feel small vunerable and in the overall context insignificant I think about those sort of photos when things get a bit stressful .. its only a small part of whats going on really.
alex
Old 25-02-2007, 06:55 PM
DobDobDob (Ron)
Blacktown isn't so black

I think the term Black Hole is somewhat of a problem, for a couple of reasons. Firstly we tend to think of black being a colour, this is not really true (IMHO) of the region we call a Black Hole. I believe that it is the absence of all colour (light) that defines the region, thus we use the terms black, but it's the exact inverse. Second, the 'Hole' part also implies that it has a structured beginning and end, I rather think in terms of a region where certain phenomena occurs and doesn't occur with a transitional area between.

Put my way, it's far less exotic and hard to sell to the masses, that's why we use key phrases and words, to describe phenomena we can't comprehend between humans.

So black holes or regions in space that have particular characteristics, it's all the same to me, and your belief based on your imagination is as right for you as anyone else's. In a sense you are a universe unto yourself, thus what you perceive is as true as truth itself. A tad heavy, but it is Sunday night.
Old 25-02-2007, 07:40 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Well by definition each of us is the centre of the Observable Universe .. I visited my friend who believes we are each a God and that was only a Sturday . any ways dont worry about black hole links I have a few.
alex