ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29-12-2019, 07:46 PM
Mamba (David)

Cri de coeur

How do I prevent my images in the For Sale section from appearing up side down, inverted, stood on its head etc, etc
Mamba
Old 29-12-2019, 08:40 PM
Wilso

I think it depends on which way you take the photo.
Using an iPhone I always have the iphone capture button to the right!
Hope this helps
Old 29-12-2019, 08:53 PM
Mamba (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilso View Post
I think it depends on which way you take the photo.
Using an iPhone I always have the iphone capture button to the right!
Hope this helps
Darren,
I use an iPad and the only way I can get it right is by using the iPad up side down. Surely there has to be a way of turning stuff through 180 degrees?
When I use the iPad in normal orientation the image in my photo file is the correct way up but when transferred to ISS is up side down
Hi, ho says I, all I have to do is turn the images in my photo file up side down and then when I transfer them to ISS they will be the right way up
Yeah right, still up side down.
I am approaching 74 years of age so any advice has to be very, very simple, which is how I’m feeling right now.
Mamba
Mamba

Last edited by Mamba; 29-12-2019 at 09:11 PM.
Old 30-12-2019, 09:45 AM
alval (Alan)

Hi David,
I use an ipad (apple not android tablet) too for posting and havent had an issue with posting photos they appear as the are in my photo folder, and whether i lock my screen rotation or not the photo is always right way up in my photo app no matter how I orientate my ipad for the photo. Have you tried doing a hard reset? That is press and hold the on off button and the home button simultaneously until the screen goes black and continue to hold for about ten seconds until the apple logo appears then release the buttons. This remedies most software glitches. Youve got a thread started so try posting something here to test.
Al
Old 30-12-2019, 02:52 PM
Wavytone

Nope that isn’t the issue.

jpg images contain metadata which among things, indicates which side is “up”. There are three issues that arise, as a result:

1. Some older cameras do not correctly set this metadata when the image is taken. This was an issue with some early digital cameras 20 years ago, but most (including phones) have finally got this sorted.

2. Some software - notably older windows freeware apps and those bundled with MS Windows XP, vista and 7 - such as the paint app and photo browser - do not respect the orientation as identified in the metadata, and if you rotate the image so it looks right on your PC, they do not set the metadata accordingly either.

3. The next issue is whether IIS respects the orientation per the metadata (it does) or just blindly displays the image as-is (which is what happens if there is no metadata).

If you used a dumb app in Windows to rotate and compress the image and the app didn’t set the metadata, then upload the image to IIS, the result is likely to be wrongly oriented.

Not in particular some formats do not have metadata to define orientation - eg the old .BMP (bitmap) format.

If you used a screenshot to crop an image this has no metadata. rotate the screenshot, save and upload to IIS and it will be displayed with the wrong orientation (no rotation).

Thankfully it is one thing Apple did get right from the outset and iPad/iPhone/OSX users should get it right without having to think about it.

If you’re a Windows/Android user and it’s often wrong I’d suggest you experiment with other software to crop and rotate images to find one that does set the metadata correctly. And remember to save as JPG not BMP.
Old 30-12-2019, 03:20 PM
Mamba (David)

Thanks for the explanation Waveytone
I have now taken a set of shots with the iPad turned through 180 degrees, ie up side down, the images on the iPad appear up side down when the iPad is held normally and when transferred to ISS appear the correct way up.
Mamba