Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28-08-2013, 09:17 PM
Astrochick (Nikki)

New member from the North Coast, NSW

Hi Everyone!

My name is Nikki and have recently joined Iceinspace! I've just brought home my first telescope, a Celestron NexStar 5SE - so happy! Big thanks to Screwdriverone for all your advice and help and thanks to carlstronomy for the demo, extra bits and tips, and my first 'up close and personal' with Saturn!
A few things led me to actually realise my interest in astronomy in recent months. The first was noticing amazing images of deep space by a friend on Facebook, I've always felt so drawn to the night sky and what is actually out there and I want to answer all my children's questions about space. The children in my preschool group that is! I decided to have a look on the net at what was available in the range of telescopes. I did a bit of reading but decided to ask a man I knew could possibly steer me in the right direction! He did! I wanted a telescope to look into space and see what I could for real! I want to know more - see more! Now- just a few weeks later, here I am!
I'm starting from scratch here! I haven't used my telescope yet, however I look forward to reading about it and when the time comes, turning her on and see what we can do!
As I mentioned I have a preschool group, they are most of my life! I'm also studying for a Degree in Teaching, that takes up my time when I'm not at work! So, I really do look forward to some nights in the near future gazing into our galaxy and getting to know our planets and stars! I look forward to becoming more familiar with the forum and our space with all her wonders there to observe and discover! Woo Hoo!

Thanks, Nikki
Old 28-08-2013, 10:02 PM
Screwdriverone (Chris)
I have detailed files....

Hi Nikki and to Ice In Space!

That Celestron 5SE is a CORKER of a starter scope and with its GOTO and tracking and EQ mount capability should last you a long time and give you HEAPS to look at. PLUS it was a great price for a beginner to get started.

If you have any questions or need any help, just shout out. You will probably find someone here who will know the answer (or more likely - plenty!)

Take some time reading the manual and get familiar with the scope. Probably rule one is to make sure you enter the DATE correctly in the handset. I have lost count as to how many times I have entered DD/MM/YYYY. Most scopes use the American MM/DD/YYYY which can really confuse you when you try to goto a star or object and the scope goes nutso and points nowhere near it.

Hope you can get some time and take "Celeste" (there, I gave her a nickname for you ) out for a run. Saturn is still up and I know you have already taken a gander at her, so use her as your WOW factor starting point.

Remember, the only dumb question is the one you never ask, so ask away. If you get stuck, shout out.

Enjoy yourself, this hobby is a blast!

Glad to have you on board.

Cheers

Chris
Old 29-08-2013, 04:48 PM
carlstronomy (Carl)

Welcome to the forums Nikki, I hope you have great fun with your new scope. Need any help around here just ask there is always someone around.

Carl
Old 31-08-2013, 03:22 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

Welcome Nikki theres a few of us round these parts who meet up now and then, enjoy your new scope
Old 03-09-2013, 08:49 PM
mulberry (Suz)

Hi Nikki,

Seems like there are a few of us in the woodworks around here.

Suz
Old 29-10-2013, 09:01 PM
Astrochick (Nikki)

Cheers Screwdriverone!
Just caught up on the forum! I'm loving every opportunity so far and although yet to truly use 'Celeste' (I like!) I'm learning heaps and info is sinking in bit by bit! Trying to remember all the valuable tips! This is so fun already!
Thanks! Nikki
Old 29-10-2013, 09:03 PM
Astrochick (Nikki)

Thanks Carl! A few start up hitches because I have no idea but getting there- I love the scope! Getting to know her!
Old 29-10-2013, 09:07 PM
Astrochick (Nikki)

Thanks Graham,
So much to learn, just starting with basic equipment knowledge I've quickly realised!
Old 29-10-2013, 09:09 PM
Astrochick (Nikki)

Yep! Cool! Thanks Suz!
Old 29-10-2013, 09:23 PM
JJDOBBER79 (Jas)

Hey nikki,
Welcome to the forum and nice scope. Looks like no cloud round these parts for the new moon this weekend
Old 29-10-2013, 10:07 PM
Astrochick (Nikki)

Thanks Jas! Sorry I've only just hopped back on the forum! Great to see a few people up this way! A huge open sky up here, lots of potential viewing once I really get going!