Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2024, 10:06 AM
glend (Glen)

It is OK to walk away, from Astronomy.

With over 50 years of astro involvement, from casual observation to obessive long nights imaging, and observatory building, I can say with prejudice, it's ok to walk away from astronomy in all its forms.
Earth based amateur Astronomy is not what It used to be, and despite a wide choice of consumer products aimed at us, light pollution, satellite pollution, etc, plus the many claims on our precious time; there are probably better choices we can make along the way. The advent of Hubble and the James Webb telescopes, put the mysteries of the Universe just a click away, in wonderful detail.
Perhaps you find it relaxing, or distracting from other life demands, fair enough, but the day will come when the return on your ever diminishing time on Earth, will not justify the effort. It's ok to let it go.

In memory of Alex.
Old 11-08-2024, 11:23 AM
leon

Hmm interesting Glen, and you are probably right, Personal Astronomy has certainly come a long way, and to be honest I just cant keep up with the processing stuff like i once did.

It is just beyond me, and hence gave imaging away some time ago, however just in the last few days have had a go at some simple Tripod Wide Fields just for fun.

The image taking was not that hard after a few stuff ups but now if i want to keep going I have to learn that stacking and processing stuff again.

So i will see what happens and seeing that i haven't done it for a long time it wont be too hard to walk away again.

I did enjoy and took it very seriously in the past and have great memories of the cold frosty nights and some nice photos hanging on the wall.

Leon
Old 11-08-2024, 11:55 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

It's a very personal choice, you do what you feel is right for you.
Old 11-08-2024, 12:48 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Glen,
I totally understand with over 50 years under your belt
Me I’m only 64 and entering my 6th year so the bug is still new ( a late starter into the hobby )
Hopefully I can enjoy observing and imaging into my late 70’s pending health
It’s certainly ok to walk away
Also a lovely sentiment regarding Alex

Good luck and farewell

Martin
Old 11-08-2024, 01:22 PM
EpickCrom (Joe)
Epick Crom

It will be sad to lose your vast experience Glen if you decide to give up amateur astronomy..

For me I'm 43 and in my 5th year as an amateur astronomer. I'm loving every second of it, purely visual observing. In fact my astronomy "addiction" is growing more intense as time goes by! I wish you well whatever you decide.
Old 11-08-2024, 01:25 PM
EpickCrom (Joe)
Epick Crom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo.G View Post
i love photography and have since I was a kid with many an opportunity to do pro work when younger. i also love the night sky and have been hanging cameras from telescopes since i got my first 80mm scope, it was much harder with film.
However, my son has severe depression and states he's not going to live to see his 30th birthday. That is coming up this Friday and I'm doing everything in my power to get him help. I can't force him to a doctors or psychologists. Incarceration is out of the question, I'm the only person he talks to and he never leaves the house. If he does he stays so close to me. Incarceration would kill him. He's extremely smart despite his problems.
If anything happens to my son I'll be putting our pets down, giving everything I own away and ending myself if I didn't have a heart attack first, that's 30 years of my life down the drain and a life I don't want to live.
Hi Leo, sorry to hear about this. Is your son interested in Astronomy? Observing the night sky might be a great therapeutic outlet for him.. I wish you all the best.
Old 11-08-2024, 10:30 PM
PhilTas (Phil)

Hi Leo,
I profess to having little understanding of these sorts of issues, but I have a lot of empathy for your son and yourself.
Sincere best wishes to you both, and I hope the young bloke chooses the life option, and we keep on seeing your posts on IIS.
Phil
Old 12-08-2024, 05:53 PM
Buck

Hello Leo,

I do hope things improve for you and your son. You said ..."I have an appointment with a doctor there this Wednesday to do a mental health plan. Whether or not I can get my son there I do not know but I'm going to do my best, if it kills me."

I assume the mental health plan is for your son? Please also discuss with health professionals your own mental well being, as your recent correspondence would indicate that you could benefit from support and assistance in this area as well.

All the best,

Paul
Old 13-08-2024, 07:54 PM
PCH (Paul)

Hey Leo,

Don’t be so quick to apologise. You have many friends here and it can help just to unload sometimes and share the burden.

I’m no expert (obviously) but it can be cathartic and may help in some small way to share these super-important issues that are consuming you right now.

You don’t know me and I only know of you what you’ve shared here. All I’d say is if you get anything at all from off-loading here, then keep doing it. It just might give you the strength to carry on.

People DO care
Old 13-08-2024, 08:49 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH View Post
Hey Leo,

Don’t be so quick to apologise. You have many friends here and it can help just to unload sometimes and share the burden.

I’m no expert (obviously) but it can be cathartic and may help in some small way to share these super-important issues that are consuming you right now.

You don’t know me and I only know of you what you’ve shared here. All I’d say is if you get anything at all from off-loading here, then keep doing it. It just might give you the strength to carry on.

People DO care
What Paul said, Leo.

Old 13-08-2024, 10:00 PM
PCH (Paul)

Thank you Andrew
Old 14-08-2024, 08:16 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

You have not failed.

Even though things might look dark right now, you have not failed.

What you have endured as a young child, no child should have to live through.

The love you have for your son and the incredible strength you have shown in your Soul illuminates the words you write.

Your courage, your love for your son and the story of your survival is so amazing that I am in tears as I write these words.

Be well and best wishes to you both.

Dennis.