Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-05-2024, 05:45 PM
Martin Pugh

Another brand new, yet defective, ZWO camera

I ditched the idea of buying QHY cameras well over a year ago with their shocking support, drivers and build quality.

Last week I purchased another ZWO camera (2600MM Pro), this time from Testar, and defective on receipt….looks like a power problem as it works for a while then camera downloads stop and camera reports 0.0degs temp. Not even cycling the power or USB fixes it. I have asked for a refund from Testar …good luck with that I hear you say.

Bottom line…dont buy this Chinese crap.

My Moravian cameras are absolutely rock solid.

Martin

Last edited by Martin Pugh; 22-05-2024 at 09:48 PM.
Old 23-05-2024, 10:51 AM
Adox (Adriano)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pugh View Post
I ditched the idea of buying QHY cameras well over a year ago with their shocking support, drivers and build quality.

Last week I purchased another ZWO camera (2600MM Pro), this time from Testar, and defective on receipt….looks like a power problem as it works for a while then camera downloads stop and camera reports 0.0degs temp. Not even cycling the power or USB fixes it. I have asked for a refund from Testar …good luck with that I hear you say.

Martin
Hello from Testar,

Martin, you sent to us a message on Saturday at 8PM thinking the camera to be defective. On Monday we sent you a label for the return of the camera, Tuesday you shipped it back demanding a refund. It is now Thursday and the camera has not arrived to us yet. We need inspect the camera it first, this is a the standard procedure for any faulty equipment.

Adriano
Old 23-05-2024, 11:26 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Under Australian consumer law if the camera is proven defective you are entitled to a refund. I will watch this thread and see what the outcome will be.
Old 23-05-2024, 11:56 AM
Adox (Adriano)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
Under Australian consumer law if the camera is proven defective you are entitled to a refund. I will watch this thread and see what the outcome will be.
Certainly, we will happy to issue a refund if the camera is defective. But we need the camera first.
Old 23-05-2024, 12:10 PM
JA

Quote:

Martin
Hi Martin,

Did you try another power supply (>= 3 Amps) and/or the supplied ZWO cable or another USB cable, to help with diagnosis, just in case ?

Best
JA
Old 23-05-2024, 12:31 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adox View Post
Certainly, we will happy to issue a refund if the camera is defective. But we need the camera first.

Thanks for that
Never had an issue with Testar service just wish your postage was free to Victoria seems an unfair advantage for those in Sydney as we don't have anyone else that sell some of the equipment you stock, considering the astronomical prices of gear sometimes postage may be the tipping point where someone says Nope.
Old 24-05-2024, 03:53 PM
Adox (Adriano)

We received the camera yesterday, we tested it over and over and we could not find any issue.

To revolve this situation, we have refunded the camera.
Old 24-05-2024, 08:40 PM
Zuts

I have purchased 5 ZWO cameras over the years and never had an issue with them.
Old 26-05-2024, 12:34 PM
ReidG

Never underestimate the power supply

One of the major causes of problems in any computing equipment is inadequate power supply capability.

In this case not all USB sockets can be counted on to supply adequate current at all times.

The same apples to many 12V supplies, they need to be properly sized to work with the load.

Manufacturers often tend to be a bit optimistic about the ratings of their products.

I have three ZWO cameras and have had no problems with them.

Having designed some power supplies for large scale production in the past and been aware of the performance problem I recommend being safe and use supplies rated for greater power output than you need.

The transient load (a short peak at start up say) can cause say a perfectly good camera to appear to fail.

Last edited by ReidG; 26-05-2024 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Update
Old 27-05-2024, 08:19 AM
gregmc (Greg)

Possible power (voltage drop)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReidG View Post
One of the major causes of problems in any computing equipment is inadequate power supply capability.

In this case not all USB sockets can be counted on to supply adequate current at all times.

The same apples to many 12V supplies, they need to be properly sized to work with the load.

Manufacturers often tend to be a bit optimistic about the ratings of their products.

I have three ZWO cameras and have had no problems with them.

Having designed some power supplies for large scale production in the past and been aware of the performance problem I recommend being safe and use supplies rated for greater power output than you need.

The transient load (a short peak at start up say) can cause say a perfectly good camera to appear to fail.
I’d support the possibility of power supply but would add some comments:

Looking at the voltage specifications for astro systems, they are designed for 12v battery systems (usually about 11.5/12 to 15 or so volts)
I note that many think exactly 12v regulated is necessary and I think you are setting yourself up for issues.

Many people use cables that are too thin and/or too long as well as use inadequate connectors. Voltage drop on cabling/connections (under load) can be the cause of issues. If in doubt, measure your voltage at the device (make yourself a short test cable to put in series with your power cable and measure the voltage). Same goes for USB. Use a USB device to measure the voltage at your device. Some USB cables use wire that is too thin. Some computer ports or hubs (particularly unpowered hubs) just don’t have the correct voltage or can deliver enough current.

Re 12v, if selecting a MAINS powered brick that puts out at least 12.8v and possibly better, 13.5v will help with any voltage drop.

Re MAINS bricks, I suspect that a max current spec is more for marketing and not the advisable normal running current. Ripple on the power is more likely to increase at the supplies limits as well as the voltage drop. If in doubt, measure it at load.
Old 29-05-2024, 01:01 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:

rtdfz

Martin
So..tell us how you really feel about made in the ROC cameras Martin

I've had a QHY600M for a couple of years now, and sure it's not SBIG level engineering, but has worked very reliably with no driver issues. Their machining is a bit hit and miss, but the latest production generation has many welcome refinements.

If there are some specific aspects you'd like to see improved, please send me a PM as I do have a QHY contact who can pass this on/make improvements.
Old 06-06-2024, 02:40 PM
Addos (Adam)

Shocking. A camera at half the price of its competitor may have some QA issues.

You dont often have issues with any Australian astro retailer and returns given our statutory landscape... unless of course they're 3nm filters

FYI alot of these issues with power/readout drops with ZWO cameras trace to the wiring loom attaching to the sensor separating slightly. Easily fixable by the amateur in 5 minutes. Whilst I'm not suggesting you should have to, you're absolutely entitled to a brand new unit / refund; but it is by no means indicative of systemic design flaws leading to a conclusion that all ZWO (or perhaps the 'Chinese' reference was the focus) cameras are bunk.

They're a market leader for a reason.