Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20-05-2024, 10:32 PM
PCH (Paul)

NBN - FTTP Install Help

Hey guys,

I’m sure someone here will be able to help with this problem.

The time has come when I want to upgrade my NBN from FTTC to FTTP.

Can anyone recommend a wireless modem/router (for use on the ground floor and connected to the NBN box of tricks) and a corresponding wireless router for use upstairs where I have a couple of hardwired PCs and a Printer to connect to the network?

It should be pretty simple, but it’s been so long since I’ve faffed around with this stuff that I’ve kind of forgotten what equipment I need to ask for down at the shop.

Hope this is clear enough fellas. Any and all suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks in advance
Old 21-05-2024, 10:03 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

FTTP will come with it's own fibre -> ethernet box.

I'd recommend ethernet for heavy use cases like your PCs. Otherwise, are you really benefiting from the extra speed?
Old 21-05-2024, 10:55 AM
PCH (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
FTTP will come with it's own fibre -> ethernet box.

I'd recommend ethernet for heavy use cases like your PCs. Otherwise, are you really benefiting from the extra speed?
Hey Dunk,

Thanks for replying.

I’m hoping the upgrade will get rid of the times when our present setup goes slower than we’d have believed at certain times. That’s the main reason, and the monthly cost is barely more than we currently pay anyway, with zero installation cost.

I’m thinking that at ground level I might need to buy a wireless router and upstairs a wireless 4 port router that will connect wirelessly to the downstairs device.

Anyway, that’s the plan, loosely speaking. Hopefully the good folk here can advise if I’ve used the wrong terminology etc.
Old 21-05-2024, 10:55 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

I try to avoid all in one boxes (As in WiFi routers) and I look for business grade routers. I have one of these and the firmware is stable enough that it has simply worked for months at a time where consumer grade ones I have had in the past have needed regular reboots.

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/...s/87397-er7206

After that I have similar grade switches (We have quite a bit of IT gear at home) with the main one being a POE switch so that the WiFi access points I have up in the roof don't need separate power cabling.

I lean the same way as Dunk seems to. Ethernet for anything that matters and keep WiFi for handheld devices. Current spec WiFi is OK but the range I have always found to be about a quarter of what is advertised before it gets flaky.
Old 21-05-2024, 11:40 AM
PCH (Paul)

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Regarding both your views, that is what I currently have - hard wired ethernet for my 4 important devices and wifi for all our phones and tablets and one air printer.

That said, whereas my ethernet router is currently connected directly to the (currently) upstairs NBN box, once the NBN box is relocated downstairs with the new FTTP, I’m going to need to buy a device that will connect to the upstairs box.

Any tecommendations?
Old 21-05-2024, 05:44 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

Is it too hard to simply run Ethernet cable?
In saying that I ran TV coaxial for a fellow with a 2 storey house and how he wanted it was an absolute pain and took hours of stuffing around, it ran to a downstairs garage from inside his ceiling coming from the satellite dish.

Quote:
(We have quite a bit of IT gear at home)

My kitchen is filled with a fully populated HP C7000 blade server cabinet, a HP 48 tape backup library, a HP Proliant DL360 G7 server which acts as a firewall and router and other gear. That's one of 4 (from memory) C7000 blade cabinets and we have a C3000 blade cabinet not currently in use because I'm too lazy to build a rack for it. Plus a few disk shelves.
Why the kitchen?
It's the only room in the house with the room to put it.
Don't ask about 24 and 48 port switches, mini servers (HP micro server G8) and other computer gear, too much for me to even comprehend, and fibre/Ethernet cables running through the rooms suspended from the ceiling with rope.

I live in a tiny 2 bedroom commission house.
Old 21-05-2024, 07:58 PM
PCH (Paul)

Hi Leo,

Thanks for your reply my friend, and wow, that is an impressive bunch of stuff you have connected!

My needs are nowhere near as heavy as yours.

However, I do take your point and am thinking that a cat6 cable linking the upstairs and downstairs routers would be the way to go. It should be quite cost effective and with the couple of items of new gear that I’ll need, the total cost shouldn’t be excessive.

Yup, that’s the way I’ll go.

Thanks to y’all for the helpful suggestions
Old 22-05-2024, 10:49 AM
Leo.G (Leo)

We have a lot more, all purchased from auction very cheap as an interest for my son who is as good as any network engineer and coder but he's taught himself every bit .

I'm in a similar situation with an installation except it's only a one storey home. I have the mob coming on the 28th this month to have a look. We're considering putting conduit under the house becuase according to the installation rules it can't go under windows, is not supposed to be placed in a bedroom or near a wet room and in the house we're in getting it to the lounge room won't be easy. We're considering putting the conduit under the house and it can be moved to the point on the front wall where the initial box is installed. It will already be running up to a point inside a wall in the lounge room with clear space and near enough to a power outlet.
We haven't yet decided.
Old 23-05-2024, 10:00 AM
sharkbite
Look up!

Quote:
I’m thinking that at ground level I might need to buy a wireless router and upstairs a wireless 4 port router that will connect wirelessly to the downstairs device.

Yeah dont do this....it will make your upstairs effectively "wireless" and wont be any faster than connected directly.

I have one router downstairs, and one upstairs -

Each has 4 wired ports and wifi...
Both are hardwired to the downstairs modem.

Works like a beauty - anything with an ethernet port is hardwired to a router...and all portable devices are get good coverage all over the house.