Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Poita (Peter)

Leaving the EQ6 outside...Options?

I am in a rental, so putting in a permanent pier isn't an option.
The owners live next door and are not very friendly, so I can't get away with much.

I was thinking of picking up the standard EQ6 Pier, and setting it up in the yard and leaving the EQ6Pro setup on it.
What would be the best way to cover it/protect it from the elements without building a permanent structure?

One mate suggested an outboard motor cover, any other suggestions?

-Peter
Old 29-03-2012, 11:38 AM
cventer

I have heard of guys using desert storm or telegizmos covers leaving their scopes out in the snow for winter without issue. Bring electronics inside though.
Old 29-03-2012, 11:56 AM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

yep Ill agree on that one, ive seen a 365 cover too they are built to suit the mount/telescope in two pieces. Very well constructed and insulated so your mount doesn't warm up too much! (not that it will harm it in any way)
Old 29-03-2012, 12:20 PM
jamiep (Jamie)

Peter,

There are myriads of different options - from cheap ebay greenhouses, even a cheap garden shed if you can set it up in a 'roll away' type configuration and anchor it down in a non destructive manner may work. (it's almost an obs!).

The only suggestion i'd have would be multiple layers (ie an insulating/absorbing layer - such as removalists blankets or something, then a waterproof membrane, gathered underneath to prevent moisture getting to the electronics) ... should be fine other than that...

Jamie
Old 29-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Poita (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cventer View Post
I have heard of guys using desert storm or telegizmos covers leaving their scopes out in the snow for winter without issue. Bring electronics inside though.
I really want to leave the mount itself outside. Setting up is driving me nuts, I'm over it.

I'm happy to keep the scope inside though.

I don't think I can get away with a shed of any description though, I'll have a look around.

Thanks for all the ideas so far, I didn't know about these:
http://www.telegizmos.com/
Old 29-03-2012, 12:58 PM
ReaPerMan (Paul)
Work & Play at Night

I have the Telegizmos 365 covers (the picture in the field was at the Tammin deep sky site setup next to Brendan, dribbly light rain, which the covers are totally impervious to.) and have left my scope out from time to time even over winter (Back garden pic with C9.25 setup and polar aligned, waiting for breaks in the weather). They are fantastic. But I agree on the layers suggestion and there should be towels or a blanket lurking underneath to head off any stray moisture. All really fragile electronics should be disconnected and reconnected when ready for use.

all the best

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (photo.JPG)
88.8 KB66 views
Click for full-size image (TGZ.JPG)
119.0 KB65 views
Old 29-03-2012, 01:34 PM
Poita (Peter)

Looks good. My main concern would be ground moisture.

I can deal with hooking up the cameras and power, would just like to leave the mount and if possible scope setup and aligned.
Old 29-03-2012, 02:07 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Another vote for the 365 Telegizmo. My concern also is moisture from the ground up. I don't leave it out for long periods, but it's handy if you know there's going to be a few nights in a row clear.

Something also hadn't thought of, but noticed the other day. Ants. They love the cool, dark under there. Something to consider.

Another point is that if you get the tripod cover as well as the scope cover, is that the tripod cover is loooong. I stupidly assumed it was a one-size-fits-all like the website hints at, and didn't specify a length. I'm going to have to get the bottom cut off by quite a lot, maybe 300-500mm. So if you're ordering one, make sure you measure up and let them know so you don't have to mod it yourself.
Old 29-03-2012, 02:16 PM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poita View Post
What would be the best way to cover it/protect it from the elements without building a permanent structure?
A big rubbish bin, upside down.
Old 29-03-2012, 02:42 PM
Mighty_oz (Marcus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
Now that's a good idea, and Oscar can keep the burgulars away hehe
Old 29-03-2012, 03:31 PM
AstroFlyer (Arek)
Be gentle, I'm new..

Another type of cover to consider:
http://www.green-witch.com/acatalog/Cases_and_Bags.html

Good price too.
Old 29-03-2012, 03:50 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

My EQ6 was outside for a good 3 months straight at one point in time under rubbish bin bags, and pegs!

Step 1 get towel wrap around head mount. <-- Rubbish bin bag protector + moisture barrier
Step 2 get strong bin bag place over
Step 3 get second strong bin bag place over.
step 4 3 pegs wrapped around

= One snug as a bug in a rug EQ6 pro that has endured some of Perths crazy storms last year
Old 29-03-2012, 04:32 PM
bartman (Bart)
1 of 7 of 9

ATM I have a car windshield protector wrapped around the eq6 then a coles freezer bag on top of that and then an umbrella that has reflective coating...... So far no probs......so far....
Batman
Old 29-03-2012, 11:52 PM
Poita (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
Funnily enough, that was my first thought, but then I was worried that moisture might build up inside it.
Would I need to put a vent in, or would it just work as is?
Old 30-03-2012, 12:13 AM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

I know Bert (Avandonk) kept just a a bucket over his HEQ5 and then his EQ6 for years and his mounts ran faultlessly all that time.

I have left my EQ6 outside in the backyard for years and all I do is cover it in a doubled-over bedsheet, then a plastic sheet, tied around the bottom with some scrap electrical wire.

All the cables, power board etc are tucked up under the cover. I have never had a problem in all the years it has been out there.
I usually bring the scope inside, but not always. Sometimes I leave it out there too, under cover.

Daniel and some others use a BBQ cover from Bunnings to cover their mounts and scopes.
Old 30-03-2012, 12:13 AM
Screwdriverone (Chris)
I have detailed files....

Check this out Peter,

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astr...ding-pier.html

As per Bojan's suggestion, I came across this the other day when sifting through DIY obs designs. If you get an old style plastic bin with the metal clips to hold the lid on, then when it is inverted, the clips clamp the bin down to the circular "table".

A bit of weather stripping on the circumference, and it would be nice and snug, maybe a solar powered fan mounted on the side with a little silicone aroung the cut would keep the moisture down, just as long as you drill some holes in the table board and mesh them with fly screen to keep the bugs out....

This is my current plan for a pier in the back yard without having a roof over it. Keeps the HEQ5 ready to go, mount the scope, power it up, BAM.

Cheers

Chris
Old 30-03-2012, 10:03 AM
Poita (Peter)

Oh man, that is the business.

I think that is on my shortlist now of ways to do this.
Old 30-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Chancellor (Jeff)

Another one for the telegizmo 365 day cover. I have left mine out during some horrible weather with no issues.

In terms of moisture, look at the Hippo moisture absorbers (http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail...undry/LE008394). You can grab them at local woolworths on special occasionally. I replace mine every 2-3 months, and it keeps things nice and dry.
Old 30-03-2012, 04:17 PM
tilbrook@rbe.ne (Justin Tilbrook)
JHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poita View Post
I am in a rental, so putting in a permanent pier isn't an option.
The owners live next door and are not very friendly, so I can't get away with much.

I was thinking of picking up the standard EQ6 Pier, and setting it up in the yard and leaving the EQ6Pro setup on it.

One mate suggested an outboard motor cover, any other suggestions?

-Peter

Hi Peter,

It's part of my business making covers for various items, camper trailer covers, canopies and the like.
I would think about a custom cover, made from light weight PVC. It needs to be lined with a soft fabric and have two vents in the cover top and bottom.
I would also consider getting moisture absorbing crystals from the local hadrware shop tp place under the cover.
Are you setting up on concrete or grass?
If on grass I would also consider a ground sheet under the mount.

Not trying to sell you anything, but if you like I can supply information on materials you will need to make it, and a plan of the vent system so you can get made locally.

Cheers.

Justin.
Old 30-03-2012, 04:35 PM
alistairsam

Hi Justin,

what are the two vents for? wouldn't that allow moisture and dew in?
While I like the bin with the cork plate idea, that requires the counterweights, dovetails etc to be removed. I guess objective here is to leave everything with the OTA outside??
might sound silly, but how about one of those tall cubicle tents with pegs or weights at the base to prevent it flying off?
http://www.raysoutdoors.com.au/onlin...spx?id=1021192
you'd have to remove the base so you place and remove it vertically.