Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2015, 08:58 PM
pgc hunter

Made it

First night in my new home in Renmark

Notice, notice all that ugly Melbourne Cloud™ that seemed to have followed me.

In any case, the back deck is nearly pitch black, the light pollution from Renmark spams the eastern horizon, it was actually quite striking driving in yesterday in the heavy rain Ironically, the only bit of sunshine during the drive was in Melbourne LOL, getting close to Bendigo it started to hose down right up until about Sea Lake, then it cleared until just after Mildura then started to hose down at Lake Cullelleraine and arrived at a very wet and muddy Caravan Park in Renmark. Took over the my residence today in better weather, but there is a huge puddle out front and my car is has a new layer of mud The telescopes will have to live in the car for another couple of days till I work out where to put them -but I got my 12" SDM, 8" dob, 4" F/15 refractor, 130mm F/5 newt and 80mm refractor in there along with a whole stack of accessories, atlases, clothes, bedding, KFC and drinks

Have to say, I did have intense bouts of stress, anxiety and what not with the whole drama of moving, I've gotten intense headaches lasting the whole 3-4 days before moving day,headaches which I never experienced before, I started imaging all sorts of things wrong with me. I went through a whole pack of Herron in 2 days (ordinarily I almost NEVER pop painkillers) but now being here, I am starting to get more settled.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (boat1.jpg)
180.1 KB94 views
Click for full-size image (boat2.jpg)
155.3 KB98 views
Click for full-size image (boat3.jpg)
191.4 KB97 views
Click for full-size image (boat4.jpg)
144.1 KB94 views

Last edited by pgc hunter; 03-09-2015 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:59 PM
pgc hunter

More pics of the essentials. I shall note, these are the BIGGEST Wicked Wings I have ever enjoyed in my life. These things were flat out legendary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (boat5.jpg)
130.1 KB80 views
Click for full-size image (boat6.jpg)
160.2 KB83 views
Click for full-size image (boat7.jpg)
180.8 KB85 views
Old 03-09-2015, 09:24 PM
h0ughy (David)

well glad your settling in. Hope its a lifestyle that suits you, certainly may be some great sunrises and sunsets to come....
Old 03-09-2015, 10:03 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

The awful part for all of us still stuck in Melbourne, is that cloud is heading our way ...hope it's a good move Sab. Still have not looked through that 80mm achro I bought from you...when was it, of yeah about 6 weeks ago and counting...

Matt
Old 03-09-2015, 11:20 PM
pgc hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
well glad your settling in. Hope its a lifestyle that suits you, certainly may be some great sunrises and sunsets to come....
Cheers mate, much appreciated. So far I am liking it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattT View Post
The awful part for all of us still stuck in Melbourne, is that cloud is heading our way ...hope it's a good move Sab. Still have not looked through that 80mm achro I bought from you...when was it, of yeah about 6 weeks ago and counting...

Matt
Melbourne was clear when I left .... it turned to custard around Bendigo and was horrible up to SeaLake, then fine to Mildura, then turn to really started hammering down at about Lake Cullulleraine all the way to Renamrk. Shocking weather, on the few days it rains here it ofcourse has to be during moving day. lol

Some more pics, of my little buddy
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (catboat1.jpg)
119.2 KB48 views
Click for full-size image (catboat2.jpg)
139.4 KB45 views
Click for full-size image (catboat3.jpg)
195.3 KB49 views
Old 03-09-2015, 11:59 PM
JB80 (Jarrod)
Aussie abroad.

Excellent, glad you are settling in nicely.
Had some KFC for lunch today, sadly the potatos and gravy are different here and it's no longer my favourite side.

Have you dangled a line yet?
Should be plenty of Callop around.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:17 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Nice house Boat .....simple living at its best....

No yard to mow ....you can move if you don't like your neighbors.

Col..
Old 04-09-2015, 02:26 PM
deanm (Dean)

Some friends have a houseboat moored near Renmark, at Parilla. I usually take a C6 or (if lugging distances aren't so great) a C11 on our river trips.

Is Parilla anywhere near you?!

Dean
Old 04-09-2015, 03:11 PM
eddiedunlop (Martin)

Good on you Sab, I hope it works out for you.
I'm currently tossing up whether to leave Sydney to take up a job in Canberra. Not such a big move I guess, but I will be leaving the family behind
Never easy to leave one's comfort zone for the unknown.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:02 PM
pgc hunter

Cheers guys. First thing that greeted me as we hooked up the power lead to the electricity outlet box was a huge redback spider! These boxes have a light on top which has proven to be about as bright as a streetlight.... but I can just throw a cloth over it. Dean, I havent heard of Parilla, there is a Paringa nearby. Jarrod, hopefully there are some yabbies around - I'd love to chuck a few on the Weber and smother them in garlic butter sauce!

It's still full Melbourecast but atleast I know here it'll actually go away lol
Old 05-09-2015, 12:50 PM
deanm (Dean)

Der! My mistake: Paringa it is!

The best thing about having friends who own their own houseboat is that you aren't subject to the rules around hire boats.

You are not required to be moored by sunset - our friends have mounted floodlights outside on their vessel & cruising the Murray cliffs at night is just breathtaking (well, it is during the day, too!!)

Dean
Old 05-09-2015, 05:57 PM
pgc hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanm View Post
Der! My mistake: Paringa it is!

The best thing about having friends who own their own houseboat is that you aren't subject to the rules around hire boats.

You are not required to be moored by sunset - our friends have mounted floodlights outside on their vessel & cruising the Murray cliffs at night is just breathtaking (well, it is during the day, too!!)

Dean
I always thought you were not allowed to drive at night, until the previous owner of this boat told us the other day that it only applies to hire boats. Most boats here are decked out with all sorts of lights, it's something I will certainly try!
Old 06-09-2015, 09:59 PM
pgc hunter

Evening Luncheon on the back deck. This oven is awesome, it uses real flames for the grill and oven and you can really taste the difference compared to the heating elements in modern ovens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (lunch1.jpg)
117.2 KB35 views
Click for full-size image (lunch2.jpg)
134.9 KB36 views
Click for full-size image (oven.jpg)
164.2 KB38 views
Old 07-09-2015, 10:47 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Livin the dream Sab, livin the dream ...great pictures, making plenty of onlookers (incl me) quite envious but in a good way

Mike
Old 08-09-2015, 09:48 PM
pgc hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Livin the dream Sab, livin the dream ...great pictures, making plenty of onlookers (incl me) quite envious but in a good way

Mike
Cheers Mike! The sky is beautiful from the mooring here, I'll be driving out into the desert to check out my planned dark sky sites soon. The KFC is so far astounding.