Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 30-07-2018, 07:13 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Well, I had 2 items (2nd hand books bought in the US) waiting at my US proxy postal address, and my time for free storage was running out, so I had to ship them. comgateway is charging GST at checkout :-/

What makes me cranky is that our Australian government has the audacity to tell foreign companies what they can and cannot do. Foreign companies should be giving the Australian government the finger and forcing our government to hold items via customs inspections (thus wasting Australian taxpayers money and making the idea of extorting GST worth less than the expenditure to collect it). and yes, this is nothing but extortion on the Australian governments part.
Old 31-07-2018, 08:12 AM
mynameiscd (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpastern View Post
The whole idea of a taxation system is to ensure that *everyone* contributs back to society. Without a cohesive society, businesses would NOT succeed. It's a symbiotic relationship. Companies that take advantage of what a civilised society offers in terms of business income, but don't want to contribute back to society disgust me. They are lower than snakes.

For far too long, successive governments have pandered to these mega rich corporations (typically US owned and based companies I might add), whilst the rest of Australia (typically the poorest of the nation) prop up our government and social spending. Is that fair?

We've already seen Trump in the US introduce new laws that will effectively mean that large companies will pay ZERO tax from 2022 and taxes to the ordinary people will be increased to compensate for this. That's CRIMINAL in my eyes. The sad thing is, the majority of society didn't even blink at that. People have grown too stupid, and too lazy. The few who are outspoken and vocal are labelled whingers and troublemakers.

The current fiscal system is not sustainable. it never was. The edges are already fraying. I question why the US government spent like 3 trillion dollars bailing out banks in the banking collapse? Shouldn't those banks be held accountable for their screw-ups and the bank owners be forced to pay from their personal wealth? I mean, if I have a mortgage with a bank and continuously squander my income on drugs, alcohol and prostitutes and don't pay my mortgage, would the government bail me out? I bet they wouldn't. it's called responsibility. These banks were irresponsible and they expect the greater society to bail them out? The buggers should have bloody well been lined up and shot at dawn and their personal wealth confiscated.
Well said ...
But maybe "shot at dawn" is a bit harsh.
What about a public flogging? ...or at least a "jolly good thrashing"
Cheers
Andy
Old 31-07-2018, 12:16 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameiscd View Post
Well said ...
But maybe "shot at dawn" is a bit harsh.
What about a public flogging? ...or at least a "jolly good thrashing"
Cheers
Andy
Yeah, a good flogging (I'm actually against the death penalty, it's morally offensive).
Old 31-07-2018, 01:44 PM
Kunama

I'm glad the IIS TOS states that discussion on politics is to be avoided.....

Last edited by Kunama; 31-07-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Closed Thread