Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2024, 03:20 AM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

Statue of Liberty in NB

Hey guys..

Well somehow, we managed to get clear skies... on new moon no less...
I got the longest period of clear sky I've had here since November, and was able to get 5hr 30min on target before quite strong westerly winds put an end to proceedings, as the keeper rate was starting to drop off due to multiple 40km+ wind gusts every minute..

I took the Ha and OIII data from the camera and created a OIII+Ha/Ha/OIII blend from it... Not sure on the colour, because... colourblind... but to me it looks nice!

Larger image on Astrobin

110*180s subs with darks/flats/dark flats

Askar 65PHQ
Player One Astronomy Artemis-C Pro
Player One Astronomy Filter Draw + OAG
Askar D1 dual narrowband filter
Avalon Instruments M-Zero mount

Captured with NINA and PHD2
Processed in PixInsight
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC3576_SHO_v1_iis.jpg)
181.1 KB45 views
Click for full-size image (NGC3576_SHO_v2_iis.jpg)
150.8 KB26 views

Last edited by AlexN; 10-04-2024 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Added a reprocess
Old 10-04-2024, 09:25 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Actually looks quite cool Alex, almost like an old fashioned sepia tone photo, has a certain je ne sais quoi and I like the vertical composition

Mike
Old 10-04-2024, 11:58 AM
Startrek (Martin)

That’s a fine image of Liberty and surrounding area
Detail and framing is top stuff
Yeah colour is a bit washed out to be honest but understand it must be difficult
I’ve read a few reviews about these latest Askar OSC NB filters , they certainly give L Extreme , L Ultimate and Antlia ALPT a run for their money
I think they’re working on 3nm versions too
Well done !!

Martin
Old 10-04-2024, 12:22 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

Mike:
Thanks mate! I was trying to push the OIII a little harder, but it doesn't seem to be there really... I will have another look at the data at some point and see how I go with it... The data is there, no doubt about it... I just need to tease it out...

Martin:
I was honestly shocked to see the initial stretch... Compared to what was being shown in NINA when the images were downloading, there is SO MUCH MORE going on in that field of view than I expected to see!

These Askar D1 filters are amazing!
I considered originally the C1/C2 filterset, as the pair of them were cheaper than just the D1 on its own, however the OIII bandpass is 35nm, which is just not going to cut the mustard when the moon is up at all, or when I'm shooting to the south like with this image!
The E series are available already, E1/E2 being Ha/OIII and SII/OIII with 3nm bandpass, but they are about $880 each, which is 100% out of the question for me, and since my home is Bortle 4, I'm quite happy with 7nm

Thanks again guys.
I'll take a look at the colour and try to find a good reference image to guide my processing.
Old 10-04-2024, 01:53 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

Ok, how do we feel about this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC3576_SHO_v2_iis.jpg)
150.8 KB18 views
Old 10-04-2024, 03:31 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

WOW, stunning images Alex!
I really have to pay more attention as to what's around. I have books I forget to look at which should tell me what time of the year certain things are available but without knowing what the numbers and letters are, plus huge trees in neighbouring yards and mountains close by which make anything other than straight up near impossible to image or view.
Reftactors aren't great for looking directly overhead unless I roll out a mat to lay on.....
Old 10-04-2024, 04:25 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN View Post
Ok, how do we feel about this?
Looks great Alex
Processing colour in Narrowband ( OSC bi colour or Mono SHO , HOO etc… ) is always going to be subjective as it’s really a false colour ( Hubble ) palette.Folk tend to opt for the popular blends with golden hues , reds , blues , cyan and teal etc…oh and those pesky magenta star halos.
The options are endless , I use Startools and its colour module, quite frankly can create at least 50 renditions in SHO , SHO OHS , HOO and so on …. Which is ridiculous.
As long as your happy with the final image , that’s the most important thing
Well done !!
Martin
Old 10-04-2024, 04:34 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo.G View Post
WOW, stunning images Alex!
I really have to pay more attention as to what's around. I have books I forget to look at which should tell me what time of the year certain things are available but without knowing what the numbers and letters are, plus huge trees in neighbouring yards and mountains close by which make anything other than straight up near impossible to image or view.
Reftactors aren't great for looking directly overhead unless I roll out a mat to lay on.....
If you have a PC or laptop , download a “free” copy of Stellarium
http://stellarium.org/
This virtual planetarium will show you where the majority celestial objects and satellites are in the night sky 24/7 , year after year for a decade
I couldn’t do visual or imaging without it , excellent Astro tool for beginner and advanced

Attached basic user guide for Stellarium

A question if I may , if you have no sky view ( only straight up ) where do you observe or image ?? Remote location ?? Dark site ?

Cheers
Martin
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Stellarium Basic Set Up and User Guide rev 2.pdf (308.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-04-2024, 08:28 AM
glend (Glen)

I agree with Martin on his colour processing comments. Many Statue of Liberty photos we see are heavy on the Oil content and this can lead to bluish, turquoise hues being more prominent. However, I always say, we are not out there hovering next to the object, so all narrowband processing is subjective. I agree your images are stunning renditions and all that matters is that you are happy with the outcome. Check on the comments you get on Astrobin. Glen
Old 11-04-2024, 09:05 AM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

Thanks Glen,

Yeah, while I know that narrowband images are always an interpretation of the data, because they don't align with visible light at all, I still feel like there's 'acceptable interpretations' and 'less... acceptable'

That said, I like both these two renditions, the more colourfull one is more exciting to look through at full resolution, but the more dull one has far more detail and nebulosity to look at...

The more colourful one highlights certain areas a lot more, especially some of the ridges between OIII and Ha areas, but the other really highlights the extent of the region, without sacrificing too much... I like both... but I do lean towards the more typical SHO look I think!
Old 21-04-2024, 11:44 AM
SamTurner (Sam)

Your processing is getting better and better. I am considering the sv220 filter how do you think it compares as a poor mans askar d1?