Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2019, 07:12 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Colapse of wave function.

Sure a little knowledge is a dangerous thing so help me understand please..collapse of wave function implies a change from a "wave" to a particle..I dont see it that way and rationalise that wave function is a convenient mathmatical description of actual particles travelling (not driving for all you sovereign citizens) and the implication of a change in state actually does not really occur and all reality holds are particles travelling but being described as a wave for the journey.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Alex
Old 09-07-2019, 09:21 AM
Wavytone

Means it interacted (ie hit) something. Can also happen spontaneously.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:39 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Means it interacted (ie hit) something. Can also happen spontaneously.
Thanks for your input.
Yes I get that that ...Anyways had the opportunity to read heaps more and I think I get it...I just find some of this stuff not so easy these days.
Alex
Old 09-07-2019, 09:52 AM
astro744

Want some more to boggle your mind? Look up double slit experiment and then delayed choice quantum eraser. The act of observing an event changes the outcome even from the future!

I've been watching a math problems on YouTube lately (MindYourDecisions) and trying to brush up on some Calculus from various sites. YouTube likes to prompt you with stuff it thinks you may like and this led to General Relativity then Einstein Field Equations then Tensors then Quantum theory all intertwined with Snooker because its one of few sports I like although one could argue calling it a sport, more like a game of chess with a cue to move the pieces around but having played it competitively it is very demanding especially mentally.

As to the duality of light (wave/particle) and the duality of matter; I've still got a lot more videos to watch before I can even begin to comprehend it. Certainly beats the rubbish on television though.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:56 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

The suggestions youtube give me are rather varied...
I followed youtube pool a far while ago and still get suggestions although nothing for snooker which I was looking at back then.
I love pool mainly because it was an activity you could do at the pub plus I was making good pocket money from the pool comp and the after games where everyone would bet they could beat you after you had won the damn thing...but I agree its like chess ...I am really not a great shot but I can usually cover a pocket and put the white where they cant do much with it...I always laughed to myself when to ball would not go in and the audience would sigh thinking bad luck but I was always playing for a close miss...the duck in a row bang bang all over red rover.

I have a thing about waves...and my view is basically as outlined in the first post.
I know folk talk of radio wavrs etc but in my view it must come down to a flow of particles and the wave thing is merely humans attempt to quantify it...and gravity waves...mmm...I know I know space is bending etc but at a basic level there must be particles communicating what we interprete as waves...although I dont think GR folk like that approach...I still believe gravity is in effect a pressure from all the particles running around, Le Sages idea really to a degree, but GR seems reject the notion of a mechanical explanation...but information must, one could think, require something to carry it...I see the universe like a giant snooker table with balls (particles) rushing around and creating all the forces. ..I dont expect a Noble or recognition etc which is your typical crank but I do enjoy sitting and holding in my mind that big table we call the universe comptemplating where each (and every) ball will go .... also I dont think quantum physics need be mysterious ...all that is happening is humans can not firstly record all that is actually going on (they can only see some of the balls in my view) so they cant know where all the balls will go☺...also there seems a belief that random (notwithstanding the recognition I now point to) means not being able to determine outcomes while nevertheless recognising that probabilty plays its part...
Also it is my belief that at some level energy must be made up of descrete particles and we know that is teally swiming against the flow of current opinion.
I have been looking at Nikola Tesla and his countless extraordinary achievements..The man deserves a hundred fold the recognition he gets but he made the mistake of critisizing Dr Albert Einstein ..not so much him but the reliance upon maths I suppose was his beef..
Anyways how not to win friends and influence people...he is quited as saying " I dont care that they steal my ideas but I do care that they have none of their own"..I dont know the context but I suspect that would have upset everyone particularly those not steing his ideas.
From all I can tell he daw the universe in a similar fashion to me ..as to particles etc and I think he saw gravity as particle pressure and I even suspect he may have visialised energy as something discrete.
Anyways the Sun is shinning and I have so much to do and I have had my test so must get back to it..and progress is painfully slow so must work harder. I cant edit now bt will try later.
Alex
Old 09-07-2019, 01:28 PM
bojan
amateur

Alex,

I highly recommend Feynman videos on youtube... it is a good start
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=feynman+QED

https://www.google.com/search?client...ynman+lectures

Last edited by bojan; 09-07-2019 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:59 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
Alex,

I highly recommend Feynman videos on youtube... it is a good start
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=feynman+QED

https://www.google.com/search?client...ynman+lectures
Thanks Bojan although it is going to be clear tonight laying in bed watching physics and cage fights seems the best idea..tired after a big effort on the observatory..got the roof screwed down finally ..tired but very happy.
Got the fire going so may sit out there for a while and think about stuff.
What to have for dinner ..I can't get a pizza delivered here...baked beans and salami? eggs salami tomato and toast...a couple of spoon fulls of peanut butter and catch up on food in the morning...a packet of Tim tams may just do it.

Alex
Old 09-07-2019, 05:07 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Thanks Bojan although it is going to be clear tonight laying in bed watching physics and cage fights seems the best idea..tired after a big effort on the observatory..got the roof screwed down finally ..tired but very happy.
Got the fire going so may sit out there for a while and think about stuff.
What to have for dinner ..I can't get a pizza delivered here...baked beans and salami? eggs salami tomato and toast...a couple of spoon fulls of peanut butter and catch up on food in the morning...a packet of Tim tams may just do it.

Alex
Don't forget your green veggies, a lad needs his greens to stay in tip-top observing condition.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 09-07-2019, 06:00 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Don't forget your green veggies, a lad needs his greens to stay in tip-top observing condition.

Cheers

Dennis
You are entirely correct but I just grabbed a few survival items when in town.
Funny thing I have just now set up the heq5 in the observatory mainly to get ideas about future pier height ... now usually it can take me 15 minutes getting it level but I put down some pavers stuck the tripod and mount on it then realised I left my spirit level up at the house but looked at the bubble and it was perfect..I could not believe it... So I may do some wide fields using the heq5 as the BWM needs looking at as it stopped the other night and I have not yet had a good look at it...I can't see the CSP but can get a fair idea from the star trail photos I took at between 4 and 5 am this morning..maybe that early start is why I am feeling tired as well...Anyways maybe just the Nikon and the 70/200 lens ... the fire is ragging but should be just coals soon so some toast baked beans and salami...maybe some fried tomato that isn't too bad...I will get veggies next trip to town.
It's a beautiful night but I bet the dew will be heavy and hope the fire helps.
Alex