Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:19 PM
gregbradley

Looking very good Marcus. It looks like tight star sizes in the corners which is great. Is there much vignetting?

Greg.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:22 PM
marc4darkskies (Marcus)
Billions and Billions ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazjen View Post
That's a very good idea and helps keep things neat and easy to use.
Yes, it took me a while to figure it out though! The thing tilts up and down 10 degrees and with the mounting accommodating the dome curvature (roughly) I'll be able to pretty well push the flat panel against the front the the OTA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Nice idea, Marcus! Now, if only I had an obsy to hang mine on...
Thanks Rick. So what's your problem then? Obsies are easy to build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassnut View Post
Ha, of course you are,excellent beneficial snafu .

Following with keen interest Marcus, progressing wonderfully
What do we want? FOCAL LENGTH!! When do we want it? NOW!!!
Alas this wretched cloud is slowing progress to a crawl. Currently twiddling my thumbs as a completely clear day turned cloudy just as I powered everything up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_4059 View Post
Marcus - just wondering what the orange coloured things are between the mirror and the red plate (above the colimation bolt) in the second image?

Peter
I believe they might be mirror heating elements. I didn't think to investigate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Looking very good Marcus. It looks like tight star sizes in the corners which is great. Is there much vignetting?

Greg.
Thanks Greg. I'll let you know once I take some serious images

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Oooh aren't you a clever little Vegemite

I just don't use flats - that's pretty easy

Mike
Mmmmm .... Vegemite!!
Old 05-01-2014, 12:36 AM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc4darkskies View Post
I believe they might be mirror heating elements. I didn't think to investigate.
They look a lot like Kendrick mirror heating elements only they are not attached to the mirror?

http://www.kendrickastro.com/astro/newtonian.html
Old 05-01-2014, 09:58 AM
gregbradley

Yes I see what you mean, NGC3263 is a tiny and dim galaxy and its showing up quite well there. Very promising.

Greg.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:12 PM
marc4darkskies (Marcus)

Quote:
They look a lot like Kendrick mirror heating elements only they are not attached to the mirror?

http://www.kendrickastro.com/astro/newtonian.html
I believe you're right Peter. There is foam underneath most of it to press it against the mirror (see another picture I took below). Perhaps I need to add some more!

Quote:
Yes I see what you mean, NGC3263 is a tiny and dim galaxy and its showing up quite well there. Very promising.

Greg.
Yep, that's it! Remembering this is a raw image without the full compliment of longer subs and processing techniques (including decon), I'm very pleased!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (DSC_5197_0205.jpg)
207.3 KB70 views
Old 05-01-2014, 12:24 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Marcus,

I see Kendrick have these heaters for RC primary mirrors:
http://www.kendrickastro.com/astro/RCoptics.html

I had one on my 10" Newt but found the Kendrick controller was switching it to control the temperature (I assume it was full on/off with the duty being controlled by the amount of time it was on). This was causing the focus to shift so I've stopped using it. I wonder if your scope control system has a smarter way of controlling the heater duty (perhaps varying the voltage?) so it doesn't cause problems?

Peter
Old 05-01-2014, 12:38 PM
marc4darkskies (Marcus)

Quote:
Marcus,

I see Kendrick have these heaters for RC primary mirrors:
http://www.kendrickastro.com/astro/RCoptics.html

I had one on my 10" Newt but found the Kendrick controller was switching it to control the temperature (I assume it was full on/off with the duty being controlled by the amount of time it was on). This was causing the focus to shift so I've stopped using it. I wonder if your scope control system has a smarter way of controlling the heater duty (perhaps varying the voltage?) so it doesn't cause problems?

Peter
It's still early days - I haven't done any full-on imaging yet. Besides, in this hot weather (with short warm nights) the mirrors have usually ended the night a couple of degrees above ambient and the dew point. The controller will only activate the heaters to keep the mirrors at a set point above the dew point - and I haven't gotten close to the dew point yet to see what happens.

Also remember that my mirror substrate is Sitall with an incredibly small coefficient of expansion so, as temp changes, nothing much will happen. I haven't seen temperature based changes in focus yet.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:45 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Quote:
Also remember that my mirror substrate is Sitall with an incredibly small coefficient of expansion so, as temp changes, nothing much will happen.
I hadn't considered the mirror material - good point!
Old 07-01-2014, 08:31 AM
gregbradley

Sitall. That was a smart upgrade choice. I notice with my CDK temp needs to be within .5 to 1C of ambient to get best focus and sharpest images. Not that its a big deal as it just takes about an hour to get there perhaps an hour and a half.

But I think that is a useful upgrade.

Greg.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:26 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Also remember that my mirror substrate is Sitall with an incredibly small coefficient of expansion so, as temp changes, nothing much will happen.
Man! this beauty must have hit the bank account ...all awesome though and.... ya only live once
Old 07-01-2014, 10:57 AM
UniPol
I Prefer Refractors

Quote:
Man! this beauty must have hit the bank account ...all awesome though and.... ya only live once
I'm still trying to figure out ways to come up with the necessary $45-50K for one of these superlative ultra supreme scopes. It is either buy lots of scratchies or get into real estate.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:32 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniPol View Post
I'm still trying to figure out ways to come up with the necessary $45-50K for one of these superlative ultra supreme scopes. It is either buy lots of scratchies or get into real estate.
I'm thinking just extend the mortgage... why not? just be in debt a little (lot?) longer ...hmmm? thinking, thinking...then there is the PME and automation gear for the (new) dome...Hmmmm? thinking thinking ...thanks Marcus

Mike
Old 07-01-2014, 12:50 PM
marc4darkskies (Marcus)

Quote:
Sitall. That was a smart upgrade choice. I notice with my CDK temp needs to be within .5 to 1C of ambient to get best focus and sharpest images. Not that its a big deal as it just takes about an hour to get there perhaps an hour and a half.

But I think that is a useful upgrade.

Greg.
Yes indeed - temperature is not something I worry about. I was 2 or 3 degrees above ambient for most of the night and my focus seemed fine. Night before last sucked though - terrible seeing. Last night I couldn't tell - it was cloudy!!!!!!

Quote:
Yep, I dropped a few bob on it. Still a lot cheaper than the equivalent RCOS would have been though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniPol View Post
You must want a BIG one then Steve - mine's only a little 14" ... and it wasn't THAT expensive!!

Quote:
I'm thinking just extend the mortgage... why not? just be in debt a little (lot?) longer ...hmmm? thinking, thinking...then there is the PME and automation gear for the (new) dome...Hmmmm? thinking thinking ...thanks Marcus

Mike
You only live once Mike! And you can't take it with you!!! You know, a PME II would look nice in your dome!! Then you'd also have an excuse to buy a 100kg telescope to put on it
Old 09-01-2014, 05:30 PM
TrevorW

Close to $40k including mount based on OPT prices so a hefty investment hope you've insured it
Old 12-01-2014, 11:35 AM
marc4darkskies (Marcus)

Well I guess my charmed existence had to end sometime. So far nothing of any significance has gone wrong. Everything has checked out and I'm thrilled with the quality of the optics and the promise they hold. But, as someone said to me recently, there will always be something that isn't perfect! Even, dare I say, with a Ferrari!

I've discovered I have a stray light issue ... oops! Off axis starlight is impinging directly on the outer edge of the flattener lens causing flaring. In typical fashion, OS has quickly stepped up and, after carefully modelling my particular system, is now engineering a baffling solution that better matches my setup. Apparently, my flattener is non-standard but engineered to more optimally match my imaging train and the backfocus it needs. It sits further forward in the scope than normal, just enough to have off axis light hit it directly.

I'm not really fazed by this kind of thing. Of course I was a little disappointed initially, but after seeing how well OS responded and the tentative solution they are proposing, I'm more than confident of a happy ending.

In the meantime I have to figure out what's causing BSODs to suddenly start happening in my Obs lappy!
Old 12-01-2014, 11:58 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Glad to hear that OS are stepping up with a fix, Marcus! Don't expect that much help from Microsoft on the BSODs
Old 12-01-2014, 03:35 PM
allan gould

Thats a great response from the manufacturer. Im sure it will be fixed to your sattisfaction.
Allan
Old 12-01-2014, 11:01 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
But, as someone said to me recently, there will always be something that isn't perfect!
Now who could that have been ...clearly your guys are on to your issue quick smart, good to hear

Mike
Old 13-01-2014, 12:51 PM
marc4darkskies (Marcus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
... Don't expect that much help from Microsoft on the BSODs
Video error - not sure whether to blame MS or Toshiba. Even though there are later drivers for an NVidia 560M, I can't update them in a Qosmio X770!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan gould View Post
Thats a great response from the manufacturer. Im sure it will be fixed to your sattisfaction.
Allan
Yes indeed, I've been very impressed with their after sales service (and Cris' as well)! I just need to be patient - which is quite hard when I'm chomping at the bit to see what this baby will do!

Quote:
Now who could that have been ...
You jinxed me Mr Sidonio .... I hope you're satisfied!!
Old 13-01-2014, 01:45 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Well.....there will always be something that isn't perfect! Even, dare I say, with a Ferrari!
Sorry, that's just not possible.

Even when they aren't running they are still perfect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAlHlaWjWyo

As penance, you need to spray paint Stella green this instant...and don't worry about masking off the optics.

Last edited by Peter Ward; 13-01-2014 at 04:57 PM.