Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-04-2024, 12:11 PM
Retrograde (Pete)
a.k.a. @AstroscapePete

NGC 3532 / Calwdell 91 and surrounds

This is another image with my Esprit 80, but the first with a new OAG & ASI220mm guide-cam combo. I thought I'd try NGC 3532, the Wishing Well cluster, and capture some of the surrounding nebulosity as well.
Unfortunately clouds rolled in so I had to be content with an 1.25 hours through the Antlia ALPT. I decided not to bother extracting any OIII (given the short exposure time) and just left the Ha & stars.

Higher resolution on Astrobin: Astrobin NGC 3532

Comments & CC welcome as always.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC 3532_IIS.jpg)
126.4 KB15 views

Last edited by Retrograde; 28-04-2024 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Fixed broken link
Old 30-04-2024, 01:09 PM
Retrograde (Pete)
a.k.a. @AstroscapePete

I realised after a question from AlexN on Astrobin that I'd somehow reversed the image during processing. Most likely it happened in Siril which I'm still coming to grips with.

Here is the image in its correct orientation. The Astrobin Link in OP should be fixed too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC 3532_IIS2.jpg)
126.8 KB8 views
Old 30-04-2024, 08:23 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Very nice Pete, this is one I'll have to add to my imaging list! It was one of the very first targets I imaged and I did such a terrible job of it I really should give it another go.
The Ha has been handled well. Were the stars captured separately or also through the dual band filter?
Old 01-05-2024, 02:06 PM
Retrograde (Pete)
a.k.a. @AstroscapePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
Very nice Pete, this is one I'll have to add to my imaging list! It was one of the very first targets I imaged and I did such a terrible job of it I really should give it another go.
The Ha has been handled well. Were the stars captured separately or also through the dual band filter?
Thanks Colin!

I did capture separate 'RGB' stars through a broadband L-Pro filter but when I tried adding them to the starless narrowband image I found I preferred the narrowband image with its own stars, so ended up not using the RGB stars.
I used Siril Photometric Colour Correction on the narrowband stars but still wasn't happy with the results so tweaked them a bit further in PS.