Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 31-03-2020, 01:44 PM
leon

Just one more try with this desktop please

Hi Guys, I know you are probably sick of me and my desktop problems, however most have been solved but I still have one and it is driving me crazy.

Some have suggested to move on and get a totally new experience with a new OS, probably on the cards one day.

In the mean time i have a new version of win 8.1 all works nicely except i cannot download anything, as it takes nearly one and a half hours to download 35 mb's.

Just a few questions please.

1. The installation decide to de/activate itself and it wont do it on line, and it doesn't open the right window to do it over the phone, i have tried, could this be a reason ?

2. It tells me i need to update, but it wont and it all fails.

3. It tells me to up date windows defender which comes with Win 8.1 installation, but it wont because it takes that long that it actually times out after an hour or so.

4. it tells me to update my browser, I use Seamonkey and it usually works great but it wont as it starts and tells me only 2 hours to go to load up 35 mb's which used to take 2 minutes, i went to Mozilla and that makes no difference.

Is there a setting that i should change or just chuck it in the tip.

Thanks in advance if you want to answer that is .

Leon
Old 31-03-2020, 02:31 PM
appiice (Ed)

Speed

Hello Leon

Is your issue really the speed of downloads or W8.1??

Looks to me as if it is download speed, have you run speedtest on your phone?

Try turning wifi OFF on your phone and then run speedtest, it should tell you what you could get down the phone, if it is the same as your download speed then your problem is your internet speed, if it is faster then your browser.

Since you said you had a new fresh install I am leaning towards your carriers data speed, if that is it then you need to find another carrier or move closer to the transmitter - I'm on the NBN and it and my data carrier ( Telstra ) is slower at the moment, thank Covid-19 and all the people off work or working from home for that.

If speedtest comes back with a fast download rate then sorry I can't help.

Best wishes

Ed
Old 31-03-2020, 04:33 PM
leon

Ed, my internet speed from my Telstra WiFi Router is quite good actually at 72Mb's and full bars.

Yes, I said a fresh install of Win 8.1 but in reality it is not that fresh.

It just struck me when I was asked by Windows Defender to up date, so i clicked on update and found that this was last updated in March 2013, I thought that a bit odd, hence why it is so slow to download the updates.

Then I realised what was happening here, I think!!!

In March 2013 I had a Desktop built for me by a very good friend of mine who had a Computer Business.

That was some 7 years ago, nearly to the day.

It was a great Computer and I changed settings got rid of Windows Defender and Installed Kaspersky Virus Protection and so on, on the whole things were changed to the way i liked it.

Then just recently I upset the workings and locked my C Drive, which is still locked by the way.

I bought an new Drive, unplugged the original and loaded a old installation of Win 8.1 which came with the original stuff when it was new in 2013.

The installation went fine but any updates for Windows Defender for example are dating back to 2013, plus i expect any other stuff that needs to be up to date. maybe that is why it wont activate windows either, after it de/activated itself.

I expect that this maybe the issue here maybe you might have some thoughts on this, or anyone else please feel free to contribute your thoughts and suggestions.

I might be very far from the answer to this issue, I don't know, maybe it is time to update properly with a new install of something better than what i have now.

Thanks Leon