Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2011, 10:11 AM
ChubbyStarstuff (Pete)
Always 'waxing gibbous'

Lightbulb Wonderful new science series : The Wonders of the Universe

Hi all,

I'm sure many already know this, but Brian Cox (ex-boy-band keyboardist and The Man With The Coolest Job In The World) has a new science series on Aunty ABC that should be required viewing for everyone breathing. The Wonders of The Universe.

I don't think anyone would disagree that this is the best thing on TV since the Cosmos series in the 80's. Like Cosmos, it's full of music and light and wonder and passion and the most incredible special effects I've ever seen. (And I'm a computer designer/developer/programmer!)

If you've got kids over the age of about 7 or 8, this could help them make sense (if needed) of mum/dad's weird preoccupation with freezing their coughgenitalscough off peering up into the night sky... (Complaints about 'seeing' or viewing conditions you'll have to deal with yourselves)

The show is also available on iView, so it's possible to catch up later on if (like Stu Parker!!) you're out photographing hypernovae before starting your day job...

I know I'm very new around here, but I really feel extremely strongly about science outreach, and this guy (my mate Coxy really can stand alongside Julius Sumner Miller, Richard Feynman, and my hero Carl.

Thanks for reading this far! Good Seeing!
Old 11-08-2011, 12:44 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Pete,

Howdy!

This series has been discussed over here: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=78253

Cheers.

H