Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: EOI - Melbourne meet-up
Poll Options
EOI - Melbourne meet-up

Old 02-02-2024, 02:29 PM
AstroViking (Steve)

EOI - Melbourne meet-up

Hey all,

I've been kicking this idea around for a while and thought I'd throw it out and see if there's any response...

Who in Melbourne would be interested in a daytime social catch-up / meet&greet session?

Nothing formal, and not at anyone's house - I'm uncomfortable with the idea of strangers in my house (which is also way too small to host any sort of gathering) so I'll propose somewhere neutral such as a coffee place / eatery.

I'm in the outer-east, pretty much at the foot of Mt Dandenong, so obviously biased towards something on this side of town.

Regards,
V
Old 03-02-2024, 06:56 PM
AstroViking (Steve)

Hi folks,

Don't stress about the poll not showing results - I think I made a mistake when setting it up and the results won't be shown until it closes next Friday.

Apologies for that, and I'm as much in the dark as you are about responses...

V.
Old 04-02-2024, 03:09 AM
JA

Hi V,

That sounds like a wonderful idea. Please count me in to attend. I organised one of these a while back and found it was a great opportunity to put faces to forum names as well as to discuss all things astro.

Hopefully more of us will get on to this for a wonderful chin wag / coffee / meal / snack or whatever. Good on you Steve for taking the initiative.

Best
JA

Last edited by JA; 04-02-2024 at 04:06 AM.
Old 05-02-2024, 07:07 PM
AstroViking (Steve)

Thanks, JA.

I'm trying to work out some suitable dates to try and accomodate as many people as possible - assuming anyone else is interested!

It's looking like mid/late April at this stage as I have plenty of things happening in March and anything before the end of February is a bit short notice.

To anyone who's interested - please send me a private message with any dates and locations that suit you. I'll do my best to accomodate as many of you as I can.

Cheers,
V.
Old 07-02-2024, 09:23 PM
m11 (Mel)

I will try to come as I owe JA a raincheck as I couldn't make last time due to work.
Old 12-02-2024, 07:36 PM
AstroViking (Steve)

Hi all,

I've had a couple of private messages as well, so adding the numbers up we're looking at about half a dozen people who are interested.

Not bad, given that I'm some anonymous guy with an account that (almost) none of you know or have met in real life.

Location-wise, I'm contemplating one of those coffee-and-cake places in a shopping centre. Unless someone can recommend a good cafe where they won't mind a group of people taking over a large table for a couple of hours? I'm open to ideas and suggestions.

Cheers,
V.

BTW - I'm surprised that no-one selected the final poll option. I was expecting it to be the most popular one.
Old 12-02-2024, 08:58 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Sounds like a plan can't be a weekday as I'm working, maybe a saturday morning? Somewhere central?
Pretty sure we wanted to do something like this pre covid then lockdowns took their toll.
Old Yesterday, 02:34 PM
AstroViking (Steve)

Hi all,

I haven't forgotten about this. Life has been a bit busy lately and I haven't had time to sort this out. I apologise for that, and will see to having something organised soon.

Cheers,
V.