Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2022, 08:17 AM
hotspur (Chris)

Replace or service Canon G1X MkI

Have had a Canon G1X for ten years its been a great compact camera used regularly ,from mundane work in shed when pulling things apart so I cam remember how to put back together,huge amounts of travel photography.Quality of auto images always good.However lately I feel many images look a bit too washed out. Is it worth taking to a dedicated camera service centre or just replacing with Canon G1X MkIII as the one I have is ten years old.

Any thoughts on this or someone that may be currently using a G1X MkIII,wonder what the body is like on them this one I have seems some sort of metal and has certainly survived some rough adventures very well.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-11-2022, 08:46 PM
Crater101 (Warren)
Mostly Harmless

I had one of these a while back and it seemed to suffer similar issues. Oddly, I still have an (even earlier) Canon G15 that is still going strong.

To get it serviced - I took a 5D to Canon some years ago - would probably cost you in the region of around $250, possibly a little extra if you get the sensor cleaned in a proper environment. Make the enquiry first though, as the age of the camera may limit the amount of "support" that Canon are prepared to offer (i.e. they may tell you they won't service it due to the age of it). The same model is available on eBay for prices around the $350 mark, where a Mark III can be purchased second hand for about $550, or new depending on where you look for about $1100 (digital camera warehouse has one here https://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.c...n-g1x-mark-iii for almost $1400) however it doesn't have the same focal length, the Mark 1 being (from memory) 24-112 mm, and the Mark 3 being 24-72mm) and I've heard that the battery life on the Mark 3 isn't the best. In addition, it was released in 2017, so it's been around for about half as long as the Mark 1.

I'm always reluctant to get rid of a camera that's still working and doing what I ask of it. It depends on your budget, and what the camera is going to be doing. I think in the long run if you're willing to bite the bullet, the Mark 3 has newer technology, but it's not without a few niggles. DP Review did a decent summing up in the conclusion to their review here https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/can...k-iii-review/7

Hope this is of some help!
Old 11-11-2022, 08:03 AM
hotspur (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crater101 View Post
I had one of these a while back and it seemed to suffer similar issues. Oddly, I still have an (even earlier) Canon G15 that is still going strong.

To get it serviced - I took a 5D to Canon some years ago - would probably cost you in the region of around $250, possibly a little extra if you get the sensor cleaned in a proper environment. Make the enquiry first though, as the age of the camera may limit the amount of "support" that Canon are prepared to offer (i.e. they may tell you they won't service it due to the age of it). The same model is available on eBay for prices around the $350 mark, where a Mark III can be purchased second hand for about $550, or new depending on where you look for about $1100 (digital camera warehouse has one here https://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.c...n-g1x-mark-iii for almost $1400) however it doesn't have the same focal length, the Mark 1 being (from memory) 24-112 mm, and the Mark 3 being 24-72mm) and I've heard that the battery life on the Mark 3 isn't the best. In addition, it was released in 2017, so it's been around for about half as long as the Mark 1.

I'm always reluctant to get rid of a camera that's still working and doing what I ask of it. It depends on your budget, and what the camera is going to be doing. I think in the long run if you're willing to bite the bullet, the Mark 3 has newer technology, but it's not without a few niggles. DP Review did a decent summing up in the conclusion to their review here https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/can...k-iii-review/7

Hope this is of some help!

Thanks you Warren-yes that is helpful.

I gave the lens a good clean and general clean down,I will see how it goes-it has really had no issues-apart from what I think are some washed out looking photos,yes I agree with you always reluctant to get rid of gear that still basically doing the job. I might look at a totally different option for a compact camera rather than Mkiii version of this one.Thanks again