Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15-11-2020, 05:11 PM
cjr (Cody)

M42 - Orion Nebula & M43 - Running Man Nebula - First StarTools Processing compared t

Hey all,

As some of you know i am trying out startools as was recommended by everyone. I had a go at an old Orion Nebula dataset that i had from earlier this year when i began imaging.

Its not the best data but its been good to process. This was before having the EQ6R-Pro and when i had an eq5 that i retrofitted with steppers and a homemade controller/ascom driver to do the guiding. Its abilities were OK but very lacking in terms of DEC guiding! So i really pushed the mount by doing 360 exposures on this one.

I have really just followed the startools tutorial in terms of processing workflow but just made some adjustments to suit. I've definitely got a whole lot to learn on the program but to sign off on a "first try" here it is.

Anyway here are the details. I acquired this in Jan so my records might not be perfect.

Equipment

Equipment list is as follows
Skywatcher EQ5 (diy - stepper motors added and controller built with ascom driver)

Skywatcher 130P

Nikon D5600 (I've removed the stock IR Filter)
ZWO IR Cut Filter
Baader Coma Corrector
Guiding I'm using a Skywatcher 9x50 finder scope that i made up a sensor housing for with an IMX291 sensor

Acquisition

Capture details were as follows (Using BackyardNikon)

33 x Light Frames 360 seconds @ 200 ISO
45 x Light Frames 30 seconds @ 200 ISO
50 x Light Frames 15 seconds @ 200 ISO

I used a BIAS and FLAT stack on this one, unsure of exposure time for the flats. probably around 1/10. No Dark frames on this by the looks of it, i really need to get onto doing it more often, i can see a whole lot of Fixed Pattern noise

Stacking

I have used DSS to stack the images.

Processing

Gimp

It was a while ago but i would've done my normal routine as below. I also put the three stacks in and blended the layers together to form the HDR for the core.

Post stacking I put the image into gimp, cropped & scaled it. Stretched the levels > white balanced the levels > did a star reduction by fuzzy selecting the stars and using the value propagate function > performed some curve adjustments > removed gradients > added a little bit of saturation > final white balance tweaks.

StarTools
I have just followed the startools tutorial workflow found here. https://www.startools.org/links--tut...ssing-workflow

I have only used the 360 second stack on this one and used the HDR function in startools to bring out the core. Also i have no idea how to deal with the diffraction spikes or whatever they are in the image so for now they remain

Cheers hope you all have some clear weather this week with the moon away for a few days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Orion Nebula StarTools.jpg)
198.8 KB103 views
Click for full-size image (Orion Nebula Gimp.jpg)
173.2 KB113 views

Last edited by cjr; 15-11-2020 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Typo's
Old 15-11-2020, 05:17 PM
jahnpahwa (JP)

Cody, that second one is really sensational! Amazing how the HDR (and your skill in using it) protected the core there. That version is bang on how I'd like to do a similar shot!
First one is too ropey for me.
Old 15-11-2020, 05:35 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Second one for me but those star spikes are huge
Old 15-11-2020, 06:03 PM
cjr (Cody)

Thanks JP,

I really do prefer the second one for the nebulosity. I really love how startools has brought out the dust lanes though. I definitely agree the core is a bit too much on the startools version. I think i may have put a bit too much deconvolution and wavelet sharpening in to be honest. I'll try an work towards an amalgamation of them both.

Agreed with the diffraction spikes too Nik i can't wait to get my hands on a nice refractor to be honest. I have done a lot of work on the 130P in terms of getting stars to look a lot nicer (3d printed some baffles and hid the screws/mirror clips, blackened the tube etc, trying it out tonight actually) this week but i still love the look of the stars in a refractor.
Old 15-11-2020, 06:59 PM
AdamJL

Cracking images
StarTools indeed is a fabulous bit of software, isn't it? I'm learning it now as well.

Great work!
Old 15-11-2020, 07:23 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Cody
Sensations images well done !!
I’ve yet to master the core blowing out in M42 and I’ve been using Startools for over 3 years
Also your diffraction spikes are caused by the spider vanes that hold your secondary mirror ( part of the baggage when imaging with newts ) I image with newts and don’t mind them at all.
Your images reflect someone who’s been imaging for years !!! and using a DSLR as well
Keep it up
Cheers
Martin
Old 15-11-2020, 11:02 PM
PKay (Peter)

You have set the bar very high Cody.

It will be hard to do better!