Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2006, 09:17 AM
drmorbius (Randall)
and mini-Morbius too

Beginners Scope

Hi all,

Ok, I've done my research, I've rubbed shoulders with some very knowledgable, extremely helpful IIS members (thanks guys ) and nicked some of their valuable viewing time looking through their scopes. In the end, I decided that the 12" GSO Dob was the scope for me, peering deep into the heavens in search of vast, glowing nebula and shimmering star clusters...

But now, it's back to reality. My budget for the next year or two is more the Tasco refractor down at the local Big W. Well, maybe not that bad, but I need to be more realistic and do what beginners should probably do... start at the beginning.

So given a budget of around $250 (I know... ), what are my options for a reasonable beginners scope? I've got the 7x50 and 10x50 binoculars, but the kids want a bit to see Saturns rings and I wouldn't mind viewing a nebula or two.

Am I being totally unrealistic? And if I do happen to fnid a 2nd hand scope at the garage sale down the road, what things should I be wary of?

As always, I appreciate your comments... thanks!
Old 11-06-2006, 09:54 AM
janoskiss (Steve H)

If you can stretch the budget to $300, that will buy you a 6" Dob from . That is a terrific scope, more than capable of what you're asking. The 12" Dob is way too big IMO anyway for a first scope, especially if kids might use it.

If $300 is no go, for $250 you can get a 80mm scope on an AZ3 mount from . The slower of the 80mm's would do better at high powers, while the faster goes wider at low powers.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:08 AM
chunkylad (David)
Open up. it's me, Dave...

Hi Randall

Yes indeed, the 12" GS dob is a beauty.

However, since we're being realistic (I hate that term when I want to buy some new astro widget), Andrews Comms have brand new 6", f8 (150x1200mm) dobs for $299.oo. These come with a couple of EPs as well - not sure what brand of eyepieces though. IMO, this seems hard to beat for value-for-money.

Good luck in your search.

BTW, here is a link to Andrews Comms:
http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-10.htm

Dave
Old 11-06-2006, 10:09 AM
chunkylad (David)
Open up. it's me, Dave...

DOH!!!

Steve beat me to the punch. I guess I type too slow...............

Cheers
Dave
Old 11-06-2006, 10:25 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Go the 6" unless you can pickup a second hand 8" somewhere along the line. Getting a couple of eyepieces in the kit certainly makes it a great bargin.

Besides it will make a great guidescope later on when you get that 16" Meade RCX200
Old 11-06-2006, 10:44 AM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Yes please do save until you can get the 6" dob, or better yet, the 8".

I had an 80mm refractor and sold it. Why ? Because my 70mm binoculars fill the same role.

The 6" dob IS the ideal beginners cheap scope and anything less is only going to frustrate.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:13 PM
mickoking
Vagabond

An 150mm Dob or 80mm short tube refractor would be ideal I have a 300mm GSO Dob and still use my 80mm refractor, you will be suprised how much they will show.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:56 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Hang on till you can afford the 6". You'll be happy with it's performance and when it's time to upgrade it will keep it's resale value better than a small refractor.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:12 PM
acropolite (Phil)

IMO you should hold out for an 8 inch dob, not a lot more expensive ($100) than a six inch, but a very good compromise aperture wise since your wish is a 12 inch. You could either wait until you have sufficient funds or maybe sell something of value (e.g. the white fluffy dog ) that's no longer required, it wouldn't take much to raise the extra few dollars between your budget of $250 and $399.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:29 PM
drmorbius (Randall)
and mini-Morbius too

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolite
...maybe sell something of value (e.g. the white fluffy dog )...
Don't tempt me...

Ta everyone...
Old 11-06-2006, 08:38 PM
astro_nutt

Just a thought..if you did purchase a 12"GSO in the future..and for the moment you're still only going to spend $250 on a scope..may I suggest a quality refractor on a Alt-az mount..(check out the local Astro societies/clubs)..later on..you can use it attached to the 12" as a guidescope!
Old 11-06-2006, 08:56 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, AVOID BigW, Kmart, Dorky Smith scopes!!!!

Get a GS 6" or 8". The quality is great and the prices low! The Supermarket (BigW etc) scopes are toys.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:43 PM
Jupiter

I too am looking to upgrade from a no name 60 mm refractor wobblitronic, and have up to $1000 to spend, but if I can get away with spending $600 I will.
What should I do, get the 12" GSO Dob deluxe version with crayford focuser or get the Celestron nexstar 130 slt for $899 both from Andrews? the reason I was interested in the Celestron is for astrophotography, but I still should be able to take photos with the GSO Dob?
I am worried that I will spend money on the wrong scope and end up regretting it, I am slowly swinging toward the 12" Dob, any ideas thankyou.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:46 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Now you will cause an argument!

2 different scopes for 2 different uses! Hmmmm

I am staying out of this one, sorry.

No, that would be unfair.

Firstly, a 12" dob can be used for Astropics but you will need some form of tracking to get decent pics. Some of us have had a bit of success without tracking but it is very frustrating. To track a 12" dob you will need either an EQ mount (VERY expensive) or an Equatorial platform. Someone may know prices, I don't.

Does the Celestron have tracking? How stable is it's mount?
Old 11-06-2006, 10:53 PM
Jupiter

Say what you think, I don't mind, another question I forgot to add was do the bigger scopes still pick up the planets or are they primarily used for DSO?
AFAIK there aren't any astronomy clubs around here so its a bit hard to try before I buy.
The celestron has goto, is that tracking?
Old 11-06-2006, 11:07 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Hi Jupiter. You can do astrophotography with any type of scope you want the biggest issue is as you have guess is tracking. But there is tracking and then there is tracking. A fork mounted scope such as the celestron (or dob if it is motorized) is not suitable as they are for AP as it is. Fork mounted imaging will cause you to get field rotation in your images. You need to be able to polar align your scope and to do that you need either an equatorial mount, an equatorial wedge (for fork mounted scopes) or as Ken has said a platform for a Dob.

If AP is definately what you want to do then think seriously about an Equatorial mount. BTW GOTO is not tracking. A GOTO mount will track, but goto is the scope being able to find targets on its own.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:09 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

BTW if you are interested in planetary photography then Focal Length for high magnification is more important, if you are interested in DSOs then f/ratio is more important.

Aperture is always important though.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:47 AM
astro_nutt

Hi Jupiter...I think an eq platform retails for around $1,150..(Bintel)..and that's good for about an hour until you have to re-position the RA...as for Planets...I helped build a mask for a 12" LB..this was done by cutting out four 80mm holes in a piece of ply and fitting it to the front..works ok!
Astropics set-up for around a grand..having a look at Andrews Mak range..there's a Mak102 on an eq2 mount with drive for $799..(use the change for some camera adaptors, filters, ep's, etc)
It's a tough choice to make!!..
Old 13-06-2006, 01:01 AM
Gargoyle_Steve (Steve)
Space Explorer

Hi Randall ... when I saw the title of your thread here I figured you'd finally made the leap and ordered a scope. I was so excited for you I was going to ring you straight away! Good thing I read further, since you haven't ordered yet, and it IS 1am now

Anyway .... you know you are welcome to come round to my place for some viewing through my dob anytime, and the next new moon night at Ron's is presumably only 12 nights away now and the scope and I will be in attendance again.

Of course there is always the "Plan B" we have previously discussed .... where I bring the scope around to your place one night and see if we can impress the missus into some kind of budget extension.

Another idea: Seek budgetary changes elsewhere in the home, as long as it frees up cashola for astronomical purchases (yes, I mean that literally and figuratively).

Does she REALLY need to have her hair done by a professional for instance?? Isn't "home brand" make up every bit as good as Este Lauder for example?? It's up to you to sell this plan mate, be prepared to throw numerous compliments on everything and anything - your scope depends on it!

Ask not what your scope can do for you, but ask rather what you are willing to do for your scope!!!

When all else fails ..... keep watching ebay. Most of the scopes there are cheap and crap, but there ARE genuine good quality bargains from time to time there - you know what you're looking for, keep your eyes open!

Catch up soon....

Steve
Old 13-06-2006, 04:09 PM
drmorbius (Randall)
and mini-Morbius too

Hey Steve,

Thanks for not ringing at 1am...

Yar, I almost got across the line, but some unexpected expenses blew away the scope budget at the last minute. Bugger! Oh well, now I've set my sights a bit lower so we'll see how we go. I've got that fluffy white dog on eBay... gee, I hope the missus doesn't read this...

Thanks again for that offer... one of these days I'm going to have to just make some time and pay a visit. At the very least, we'll catch up at the new moon.

Seeyer buddy