Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-04-2019, 09:43 PM
Sparksinspace (Steve)

What motivates you to look up

As the title says, What possesses you to look to the sky?

As for me its the peace that comes from emptying my mind and just looking

I'm sure I'm not alone and also I'm sure there are lots of interesting motivations for our pastime.
Old 20-04-2019, 12:35 AM
Stonius (Markus)

It's where almost everything is.

It's good to remember that.

:-)
Old 20-04-2019, 06:58 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I look up but my mind does not empty.

Perhaps I become less concerned with "the little things" like wars global warming and balancing the budget...theirs not mine...but that stuff does not worry me at anytime really.

My mind starts to engage more the interesting questions...mainly how does gravity work at a mechaical level..GR does not permit such but I do it anyways☺ this notion of space time expanding and contracting is far too adstract to satisfy my minds demand for an answer that it finds acceptable.

I find it frustrating that we do not have a better model of gravity...its good but it is not all I require☺.
I thought I invented a new gravity hypothisis sitting under the stars night after night year after year...I worked on its development for about five years and was rather happy with it...but was surprised when I finally found out that Le Sage had presented much the same idea back in 1745...and it seems that Nikola Tesla also had thoughts along those lines although that is not entirely clear...I am of course talking about gravity being a force, which GR rejects..how can gravity not be a force.. .well it can be what ever the current successful model says it is..we work only with models after all ..but our best model GR has it that gravity is not a force. ..ok its a model and as its our best one must accept that notion...my idea does not even qualify as a completly developed hypothesis. ..anyways I still think about the infinite sea of packets of energy travelling about following every trajectory.
Just think of all the nutrinos from trillions of Suns...how do they all fit☺..everywhere there is just so much stuff all rushing by at C...
When I realise that I realise that every point in the observable universe enjoys the pleasure of a particle or energy packet reaching it coming from every other point in the universe...try it..hold up your finger and realise that everything from everywhere passes by...and so thinking about that and recognising the sheer magnitude of something of everything passing any and every point I contend this fact provides a condition of a pressure that manifests gravity...such an approach rejects the notion that gravity is an attraction and I would think if we could accept gravity is an external pressure it could better explain why the outter stars in a galaxy travel faster than our sums suggest that they should and thereby doing away with the need to introduce dark matter to satisfy the sums somewhat built upon a notion that gravity attracts...

I also like to think about that saying..." it is a wise man who can imagine a stick with out ends"... it is a wise man who realises such is beyond a humans ability ... so I imagine a stick and start a journey along it in one direction ( imaging a split screen showing both directions is optional☺) imagining all the objects and beings that it must pass through at various points as I observe it...I start by imagining it passing thru the Moon and what is both at the surface ( I take the time to look side to side) and below and then follow it to asteroids and the outter edge of the solar system...and thru planets in the next system and thru that geology and creatures that may occupy its surface or below...it is of course a journey that can never end and even if you can imagine travelling along this imaginary stick at a thousand times the speed of light it is still a very slow journey from galaxy to galaxy ... why if I up the speed to a million times the speed of light it still takes two minutes to reach M31...but here I cant outline the extent of my thoughts obviously ...
What I do like to do is get my mind to accept that I am standing on a sphere...that is not easy and requires for me intense concentration but when I can convince my mind that is the reality at that point I am out there. ..you relate to everything differently and it is perhaps the most extraordinary feeling I have ever experienced...all this without booze of course as you need all the brain power you can muster.
I also wonder about the cultures of the species on the planets my stick passes thru...I imagine a planet where bovines rule and raise humans as a food source...I imagine places where there is no religion and all resources are directed at making a world beyond anything we could produce whilst shackled to superstition...I imagine places with only one species that has monopolised their planet by seeing all other life go extinct...so my mind does not empty but it becomes free to think and move beyond the thoughts relating only to humans and their experience.

So why do I have so much time on my hands today...my many stacks of Eta Carina data had to be scrapped and I had to start over..the mega stack started last night and as of now has six and a half hours to go...then I have to stack each channel again and process each of the results in startools ..which I had done yesterday...all for nought as I forgot to align my subs...so I can see another twenty four hours at this...and although I can do other things I choose to lay back and think about stuff cause really I am already doing something right☺

And here is so good to air some of my simpler thoughts.

Alex

Last edited by xelasnave; 20-04-2019 at 07:21 AM.
Old 20-04-2019, 07:34 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

The fact I cannot look down...all I see is my gut and gnarly nailed toes. Yik.
Old 20-04-2019, 10:37 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
So.... laying on your back is the main motivator?
Old 20-04-2019, 11:04 AM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
You should do outreach.

Old 20-04-2019, 11:22 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB View Post
You should do outreach.

I have to already
Old 20-04-2019, 11:42 AM
glend (Glen)

I am looking up, hoping to spot someone coming into land. The Earth needs saving from itself, and it is clear humans cannot make this happen. Where is Gort when we need him? Or Mork for that matter.
Old 20-04-2019, 01:58 PM
drylander (Peter)

Crick in the neck does it for me. But really as Stonius said everything majestic is up there.
Old 20-04-2019, 04:35 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Remember Oscar Wilde - he had it nailed:

“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”

― Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan

Peter
Old 20-04-2019, 06:05 PM
DavidU (Dave)
Like to learn

It clears my sinuses.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:31 PM
MichaelSW (Michael)

What motivates me to look up?

The Sky-Tour I got from Star-Hopper (GelnC) in 2009 at my first QLD Astrofest that set me on the pathway of Push-To visual observing.

And the wonders in the photons when I arrive at my destination.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2ASTROFEST 29 copy.jpg)
192.6 KB21 views
Old 01-05-2019, 07:37 PM
leon

Because we as humans just love the stars and wonder.

Been in the outback and it was jet black, could not see a foot in front of me, to scad to walk as i could have fallen over the Great Australian Bight 200meters down, and could see stars from horizon to horizon they the stars actually caused a shadow, something to behold.

Now that is what you call a dark sky, beautiful

Leon
Old 02-05-2019, 09:44 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Drop bears, they leap off the trees and attack you, it pays to look up at all times .....
that and a lifelong love of space and what is out there
Old 02-05-2019, 10:09 AM
Startrek (Martin)

I look up and hope there’s no cloud around !!
Old 03-05-2019, 10:15 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

In the words of the Great Monty Python Team:

Whenever life gets you down, Mrs. Brown,
And things seem hard or tough,
And people are stupid, obnoxious or daft,

And you feel that you've had quite eno-o-o-o-o-ough,

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at 900 miles an hour.
It's orbiting at 19 miles a second, so it's reckoned,
The sun that is the source of all our power.
Now the sun, and you and me, and all the stars that we can see,
Are moving at a million miles a day,
In the outer spiral arm, at 40,000 miles an hour,
Of a galaxy we call the Milky Way.

Our galaxy itself contains a hundred billion stars;
It's a hundred thousand light-years side to side;
It bulges in the middle sixteen thousand light-years thick,
But out by us it's just three thousand light-years wide.
We're thirty thousand light-years from Galactic Central Point,
We go 'round every two hundred million years;
And our galaxy itself is one of millions of billions
In this amazing and expanding universe.

Our universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding,
In all of the directions it can whiz;
As fast as it can go, at the speed of light, you know,
Twelve million miles a minute and that's the fastest speed there is.
So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth;
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!

Pretty much sums it up for me....
Old 03-05-2019, 10:22 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Having spent so much on gear
Old 05-05-2019, 09:11 AM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukastronomer View Post
Having spent so much on gear
Yeah... there is that too...
Old 05-05-2019, 11:03 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

My motivations have changed over the years.

* First spark was when a teacher complimented me on reading a book on science instead of the comics the rest of my classmates were reading during reading-time in year 5 at school. That spark started a life-long fascination with science in general, leading to astro with the practical slant it has with amateur astronomy.

* Halley's comet then sparked sketching as I knew my folks wouldn't spend $2 on astrophotography gear! Got to see Halley's faint tail from my home in Surry Hills in Sydney with my 2" Tasco, and having always had an affinity with pencils, astro sketching was a natural progression for me.

* Outreach and sidewalk astronomy was inspired by my wife! She has a deep set aversion to all things astro, saying she finds the numbers involved "too big" and concepts too full of jargon. So its led me on a path of finding ways to talk about astro by stripping away ALL the jargon using everyday concepts and experiences everyone can relate to. It also killed stone dead my dread of public speaking!

* Today, it's a hybrid of all of my astro and life experiences. Sketching is my two hour escape at home, and mental health reset button under dark skies, and IIS is my outreach fix when I can't get it under the stars.

Alex.

Last edited by mental4astro; 05-05-2019 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:16 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

I just dont know what keeps me going outside, risking the fall, getting bitten by mozzies, catching a cold, etc. Maybe just loneliness, dont have friends so might as well spend quality time with the great nothing.