Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-04-2019, 04:41 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Where have all the solar scopes gone???

We must have a fair collection of solar scopes available. Over the years we've heard of the Ha and Quark etc. scopes being acquired...then there's all those Baader solar screens....

The current AR 2838 is the largest sunspot we've seen for a couple of years, I would have anticipated a lot of interest (and images)
What's happened? No real interest in solar??

(Fulvio Mete in Italy has taken advantage of this sunspot to carry out more spectroscopy work on the Zeeman effect (multiple splitting of spectral line due to magnetic field) and has come up with some outstanding results.)
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...s/topics/14934
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Zeeman+AR+2738+big.jpg)
95.3 KB40 views
Old 14-04-2019, 05:36 PM
GUS.K (Ivan)

Apart from the usual few people replying to solar posts, there doesn't seem to be much interest in solar, especially during minimum. I still have my two Ha scopes and WL wedge and check gong everyday to see whats happening on the sun, and try to get out every clear day to at least have a quick look. There has been a fair amount of prom activity lately as well.
Old 14-04-2019, 07:08 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Isn't there, perhaps that is because unlike years ago there are now dedicated solar forums we all join

I have posted
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (P1060045.jpg)
104.9 KB30 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_20190312_151617045.jpg)
98.5 KB23 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_20190312_151651991.jpg)
98.1 KB28 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_20190312_151602373.jpg)
109.0 KB28 views
Old 14-04-2019, 08:47 PM
axle01 (Alan)

I had 5 and just sold one but life has got in the way with recently selling our business and retiring then the odd heart operation or two, on top of that 15 grand kids, but I did hear that the Sun will be up there for a while so when I sort my $hit out it’ll be there waiting.

Al
Old 14-04-2019, 08:53 PM
h0ughy (David)

Cloud heat mosquitoes life and the RASA setup in the dome. I miss my solar fix. Hoping to find my mojo soon, just need to be home for that and reconfigure the setup
Old 15-04-2019, 11:28 AM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

We haven't seen much sun in the past month up here which, has been driving me wild (especially this past few days).

Had been hoping it might pop out over the weekend but, no such luck...

It's out today so, plan is to get it out there this afternoon... if my first daytime PA goes okay with the mount, I will see if I can get some pics...

Cheers
Old 16-04-2019, 10:10 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

I know that my Ha and white light solar scopes have been getting a workout recently but I guess that a lot of solar scope owners are visual only and don't image. The images that are posted on here are to be admired for the detail they show ( not mine ) and I always look forward to the postings when there is noteworthy activity on Sol.
There are also plenty of images of AR2738 over on Spaceweather .com currently, taken with all manner of solar scopes that are a delight to view.
Old 16-04-2019, 10:16 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

If you come and do my job on a nice sunny day I’ll do some solar observing. This time of year I’m starting work before the sun comes up and getting home from work not too long before then sun starts going down.
Old 16-04-2019, 11:50 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Colin,
Know the feeling all to well; that was my life also for many, many years.
One benefit of retirement is being able to observe during the day.
Unfortunately the conditions down here at the coast (25m altitude) are pretty poor most of the time. Passable for spectroscopy, but very limiting for solar imaging.
Such is life.
Old 16-04-2019, 03:26 PM
Marke (Mark)

I only have the weekends myself assuming its not cloudy of course but its nice to be able to image something during the day and I guess the relative expense of getting into Solar doesn't help either . Still lots of great pics get posted here all the same
Old 16-04-2019, 05:42 PM
axle01 (Alan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
Colin,
Know the feeling all to well; that was my life also for many, many years.
One benefit of retirement is being able to observe during the day.
Unfortunately the conditions down here at the coast (25m altitude) are pretty poor most of the time. Passable for spectroscopy, but very limiting for solar imaging.
Such is life.
You should come up to Townsville we have 300 days of sunshine every year,,,,,,,,,oops now I will need a better excuse.

Al
Old 17-04-2019, 06:35 PM
Stardrifter_WA
Life is looking up!

Solar astronomy

This is my solar setup, which has been getting some limited use. Uni assignments leave me very little time to indulge.

I have my three apo refractors set up in my observatory. Since I have an uncooperative neighbour who shines a spotlight onto my dome in the early evening, so can't do astro stuff until late, but that is presently inconvenient due to Uni stuff. So, I am unable to do night astro, so stuff him, I turned to solar astronomy instead. And, I get more sleep

I am using:

WO FLT110 with an IR/UV Cut Filter (Looking at getting a full aperture ERF, when finances allow) I also have a full aperture glass white light filter with a Baader Continuum filter.
AT 65EDQ with an ERF
SV70T with an IR/UV Cut Filter

I also have a pair of Lunt Solar binoculars and if these show any sunspots I will open up the observatory.

I have a second solar kit with imaging stuff, but this is yet to have a custom case made. It would be nice to have a dedicated solar scope, but this setup works well for me, so I will stick with it for now.

Cheers Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMAGE-3-Low-resolution.jpg)
196.8 KB27 views
Click for full-size image (IMAGE-5---low-resolution.jpg)
197.9 KB28 views

Last edited by Stardrifter_WA; 17-04-2019 at 07:06 PM.
Old 17-04-2019, 07:49 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

I know Peter's set up , it's very nice and gives great solar views .

Anyway after owning Ha scopes , that are sooo addictive , Lunt Hershel wedges that work very well , I am now down to my 1 and only solar scope , it's a Saxon 102mm f10 achromat and Baader Solar film in a home made cover .

This set up shows great Solar detail as an f10 achro was made for Solar work , especially in the mornings where it really shines .
I like this simple set up a lot and it gets used often when I get a day off .

Brian.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_20180907_140256 (2).jpg)
210.2 KB17 views