Old 29-07-2011, 06:46 AM
hotspur (Chris)

50D and Canon 10-22 lens=7D?

Hey folks.

I bought the Canon 10-22 mm wide field lens about 8 months ago,its a very fine lens-but I have only used 6 times,beautiful results.Was thinking about selling it along with my 50D.And looking at purchasing a 7D for my bird photography.

Was thinking if of advertising the above combo for around the $1400 mark,would that seem like a plausible equation?I'll see what your thoughts are before going taking photos of the above kit and advertising in the classifieds.

Cheers Chris
Old 29-07-2011, 10:07 AM
hotspur (Chris)

Ok,folks-thanks for your PM's ,I'll put it up in the for sale section and we will go from there.At this stage I am will not be spliting the package,

Cheers
Old 29-07-2011, 03:44 PM
koputai (Jason)

Chris,

I've had the 7D for about 6 months now. Overall I find it more difficult to get good results out of than the old 350D. Bird-in-flight is about the only subject where it (well, more likely me) performs better than the 350D. For scenery, landscape and people photography, I've not been able to get good results using the 7D. It's probably my inability to use it properly, but colour balance and contrast are horrible.

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 29-07-2011, 05:44 PM
hotspur (Chris)

re camera

Thank you Jason for your thoughts-I do appreciate that.

Have a look on 'Fred Miranda Reviews' on the 7D reviews-The very first review is by a pro photographer,and like you say its a very difficult to get use to using=particularly the AF, other reviews state it takes along time to learn how to get the best out of it.The 50D also had similar reviews,and even some pizzling reviews for both cameras-These cameras a highly advanced and a capable of taking really good images-but most who own them never have the time to fully learn how to understand them and use them.

I feel the 50D's and 7D's and similar have so many meag pixels on the sensor,and it small,yes you can get god res,but to hold that body and lens so still,to get that very best images takes alot of time to master.98% of lens and camera issues is usually
99% operator issues.

I understand your thought re your 350D and 7D,it has taken me a long while to get use to this highly complex 50D.Over the last 3 weeks I have taken 3000 frames and finally starting to get some reasonable images-have a look at 'Lewin Honeyeaters' in terestrial photos.

After reviewing a few things today,I think I will keep the 50D,but a sale of the 10-22 mm is still on the cards-as I never use it-lovely lens.

Cheers-Chris

Jason-do not be frightened to play around with those micro-adjust settings-very simple to use,and worth
the time to get the best out of your lenses.

Last edited by hotspur; 29-07-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 29-07-2011, 06:48 PM
Brundah1 (David)
Oh! No! More Clouds!

Chris,

Thanks for that informative view on the latest Canons including the 50D & 7D.
I concur about complexity and results. Perhaps the 40D had a better sensor, but the hi-res live view is so much better. I have friends who also seem to get more consistent results with 40D & 450D, but when me and the 50D go dancing I get some stunning results.

I am very happy with the 50D, now that I have lived with it for 18 months. Would like to get a 50mm f1.4 & 70-200 f2.8 IS but funds are going elsewhere ATM.

Have you thought of going to a 5DII? My son's girlfriend is a wedding photographer and graphic designer - has two 5DIIs. They are fantastic cameras as is her lens collection (drool)!

David