Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-07-2015, 02:14 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Discovered What Was Wrong With All My Telescopes

I bought three Maks in the last five years, and their images on planets weren't quite as crisp as what I expected. My SCT wasn't that crisp either. Neither were my little refractors. There always seemed to be a soft spot with some slight glare to the side of the planet - but I was really pushing them at high power.

So I kept checking for dirt of the objectives, and on the various diagonals - including a TeleVue one.

Thus earlier this year, I mounted my 4" Vixen APO, which I know is my best telescope and - I got the same result. Maybe, I surmised, I just have lousy atmopheric conditions in this new place I've moved into.

But I found out the cause of all this poor performance the other day. I went for an eye test, and I have moderate cataracts.

Finally, the mystery was solved - how about that?
Cheers,
Renato
Old 16-07-2015, 02:18 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

I bet those scopes are all impeccably clean!

I guess if you weren't an astronomer it would've taken a lot longer to figure out. what is the solution? glasses / surgery?

Russ
Old 16-07-2015, 02:47 PM
Neutronstar (T)

A few months back I went to a very good Optometrist. She said I had the very early signs of cataracts, I'm aged 53. This is fairly typical from what i was told and understand. (anyone know better?)
I have to say though the points through my little Tak FS60Q looks pretty sharp.

I believe my low light sensitivity is down also.
Oh, getting old ain't fun.
Old 16-07-2015, 02:49 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustigsmed View Post
I bet those scopes are all impeccably clean!

I guess if you weren't an astronomer it would've taken a lot longer to figure out. what is the solution? glasses / surgery?

Russ
Hi Russ,
The optometrist said I will need surgery in 5 years time. Though I might get it done sooner if those planet images keep getting worse. But the thought of the scalpel cutting into my eyes while I am wide awake, puts me off somewhat.

Maybe half a bottle of Scotch before the operation would help.
Regards,
Renato
Old 16-07-2015, 02:56 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutronstar View Post
A few months back I went to a very good Optometrist. She said I had the very early signs of cataracts, I'm aged 53. This is fairly typical from what i was told and understand. (anyone know better?)

You aren't wrong - the points through my Vixen APO were very sharp four years ago too.

My Optometerist said the same sort of thing when I asked "How Come?" He said it was age and genetics. Though I don't understand quite why I am following in the footsteps of my two uncles who came to Australia. My dad here and his brothers and sister who stayed in Italy never got cataracts. No cataracts on my mother's side either. And I've worn sunglasses since I started driving.
Regards,
Renato
Old 16-07-2015, 02:56 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutronstar View Post

might need to upsize the aperture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renato1 View Post
Hi Russ,
The optometrist said I will need surgery in 5 years time. Though I might get it done sooner if those planet images keep getting worse. But the thought of the scalpel cutting into my eyes while I am wide awake, puts me off somewhat.

Maybe half a bottle of Scotch before the operation would help.
Regards,
Renato
yeah that doesn't sound too enticing. might need a couple half bottles!
Old 16-07-2015, 08:10 PM
uwahl (Ulrich)
Mr Avalot To'Learn

Don't have cataracts but I have something called Fuchs Distrophy which means that the lens of the eye has a golf ball dimpled surface instead of being smooth. Result is blurred vision and the treatment is the same - lens replacement surgery. Visual observations are less than ideal for me hence I am learning to use a ccd camera.
Old 16-07-2015, 08:14 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Umm...I don't think I will ever again complain about eye floaters.
Old 16-07-2015, 10:16 PM
Occulta (Chris)

Cataract surgery

Renato

Do not PANIC regarding the surgery and get it done as early as practicable.

You are under sedation and feel no pain during or after the operation and it is amazing the contrast and colour clarity that you will see as soon as the Dr. removes the bandages.

Get it done.

Chris
Old 16-07-2015, 11:40 PM
Neutronstar (T)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post
Oh, no, Don't get me started on floaters.
I've had them forever but lately I have stopped ignoring them.
The only trick I have is if I ignore them they kind of don't bother me much.
Seems most of the population have some or a lot.
Old 16-07-2015, 11:57 PM
raymo

Don't worry Renato, you can feel nothing, and see nothing, except a
white brightness. The only slight nuisance is the eyedrops you have to use for a while afterwards. I had one done a while back, and have no
problems with having the other one done in a few months time.
raymo
Old 17-07-2015, 04:43 AM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwahl View Post
Don't have cataracts but I have something called Fuchs Distrophy which means that the lens of the eye has a golf ball dimpled surface instead of being smooth. Result is blurred vision and the treatment is the same - lens replacement surgery. Visual observations are less than ideal for me hence I am learning to use a ccd camera.
I've never heard of that one. At least be thankful that it's fixable.
Best wishes,
Renato
Old 17-07-2015, 04:45 AM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post
Good point, annoying as they are, at least flaoters float away some of the time.
Cheers,
Renato
Old 17-07-2015, 05:00 AM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occulta View Post
Renato

Do not PANIC regarding the surgery and get it done as early as practicable.

You are under sedation and feel no pain during or after the operation and it is amazing the contrast and colour clarity that you will see as soon as the Dr. removes the bandages.

Get it done.

Chris
Thanks for the encouragement Chris. It will be interesting to see what I see after the operation.

I think one reason I haven't noticed the deterioration is because some seven years ago I switched from $20 to $30 chemist sunglasses to heavily discounted, formerly very expensive designer sunglasses that cost me $35 to $40. I don't know what effect is at play, but colour and contrast is greatly enhanced in the more expensive pairs for me, and I wear them all the time outside.
Regards,
Renato
Old 17-07-2015, 05:06 AM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
Don't worry Renato, you can feel nothing, and see nothing, except a
white brightness. The only slight nuisance is the eyedrops you have to use for a while afterwards. I had one done a while back, and have no
problems with having the other one done in a few months time.
raymo
Thanks very much for sharing your experience. It does de-stress me somewhat.
Cheers,
Renato
Old 17-07-2015, 09:52 AM
Occulta (Chris)

I have had both eyes done and it was amazing the difference it made, especially after the first one, and then to be able to make comparisons between each eye.
The problem with cataracts is the gradual change in eye functionality. This then allows the brain to compensate for the change and for you not to notice how bad your eyes have become. As a diabetic I have my eyes checked every 6 months and it was easy for my opthalmologist to see the cataracts forming. Most people, unfortunately, only see Drs when something is noticeably wrong.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renato1 View Post
Thanks for the encouragement Chris. It will be interesting to see what I see after the operation.

I think one reason I haven't noticed the deterioration is because some seven years ago I switched from $20 to $30 chemist sunglasses to heavily discounted, formerly very expensive designer sunglasses that cost me $35 to $40. I don't know what effect is at play, but colour and contrast is greatly enhanced in the more expensive pairs for me, and I wear them all the time outside.
Regards,
Renato
Old 17-07-2015, 12:11 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occulta View Post
I have had both eyes done and it was amazing the difference it made, especially after the first one, and then to be able to make comparisons between each eye.
The problem with cataracts is the gradual change in eye functionality. This then allows the brain to compensate for the change and for you not to notice how bad your eyes have become. As a diabetic I have my eyes checked every 6 months and it was easy for my opthalmologist to see the cataracts forming. Most people, unfortunately, only see Drs when something is noticeably wrong.

Chris
Hi Chris,
Thanks for your sharing your experience. I was using as my guide to whether my eyes had changed how well my eyeglasses showed the night sky. And for 30 years or more, the sky looked pretty good and my scrip remained pretty much unchanged. So I knew for most of that time that I had nothing much to worry about. I can't honestly say that even with the cataracts I saw any difference in the night sky through eyeglasses. But my scrip finally changed this time, as I went from being short sighted to long sighted - apparently I've been pushing my eyes to see the sky as dots. whereas I am supposed to see the star dots with relaxed eyeballs with the new scrip.

I paid the extra $60 to get the OPSM eye scan. And the good part of the eye testing was that I had no issue at all with bleeding arteries in the retina, which is the main problem for diabetics.
Cheers,
Renato

Last edited by Renato1; 17-07-2015 at 09:50 PM.
Old 17-07-2015, 02:25 PM
Baddad (Marty)
Teknition

Hi Renato,

I have had the operation. My left eye was bad. Even trying to do simple things was difficult. Judging distances close up or far away was a hassle. I would miss placing the key into its hole or driving and approaching a stationary car I always braked early and slowed well down, much to the annoyance of other drivers.

Come the operation. I spoke with others. They said it is virtually nothing.
Still I was concerned. The biggest hassle of it all, looking back, was finding a car park. The operation, no blood, no pain and sedated, "Oh finished? That was quick, I was wondering when you were starting?"
That is what its like, and as its been mentioned the hardest part of the whole thing is making sure you remember the eye-drops for the next few weeks.

The result? Wow, I can see as though I were 20 yrs old. Whites are whiter, the colours brighter and the resolved detail is quite distinct.
You will wonder what the heck you were worried about and when you meet someone with a similar concern. It will be, "Go and get it done. do not wait (repeating everything that has been told to you)

It really is minor Renato. Just do it.
Old 17-07-2015, 02:34 PM
raymo

It's a shame you went to OPSM, it's free at Specsavers.
raymo
Old 17-07-2015, 11:04 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddad View Post
Hi Renato,

I have had the operation. My left eye was bad. Even trying to do simple things was difficult. Judging distances close up or far away was a hassle. I would miss placing the key into its hole or driving and approaching a stationary car I always braked early and slowed well down, much to the annoyance of other drivers.

Come the operation. I spoke with others. They said it is virtually nothing.
Still I was concerned. The biggest hassle of it all, looking back, was finding a car park. The operation, no blood, no pain and sedated, "Oh finished? That was quick, I was wondering when you were starting?"
That is what its like, and as its been mentioned the hardest part of the whole thing is making sure you remember the eye-drops for the next few weeks.

The result? Wow, I can see as though I were 20 yrs old. Whites are whiter, the colours brighter and the resolved detail is quite distinct.
You will wonder what the heck you were worried about and when you meet someone with a similar concern. It will be, "Go and get it done. do not wait (repeating everything that has been told to you)

It really is minor Renato. Just do it.
Hi Marty,
Thanks very much for your encouragement and detailed explanation.
It's better to view the operation as something to look forward to, rather than something to be in trepidation about.
Cheers,
Renato