Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2010, 10:38 PM
richardda1st (Richard)

Hi Jason.
The inaccuracy of the Astrosystem as compared to the laser in your CN post is a very useful comparison and informative statement.

You state that, "Had your autocollimator been a laser collimator, it would have traced a circle with 1.25mm (10mm/8) radius on the primary mirror".

But, can you please explain, if the circle would have a 1.25mm radius, what does the (10mm/8) represent?

Thanks
Richard
Old 07-10-2010, 02:44 AM
Jason D (Jason)

Refer to attachment.
Assuming we have an autocollimator where the mirror is not perfectly squared to the barrel. When we stack reflections P & 2, the autocollimator axis (same as focuser axis in this case) will point off-center. If we insert a quality laser collimator, the beam will strike the primary mirror off-center as shown.
Now let us rotate the autocollimator 180 degrees. Reflections P & 2 will unstack. The distance between them is 8X the axial error. We can estimate the distance between reflections P and 2 then divide the distance by 8.
In the link I provided, I estimated the distance between reflection P and 2 to be around 10mm after the 180 degree rotation. Dividing the distance by 8 will give me the true error. 10mm/8 = 1.25mm
Jason
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (ac_error.png)
20.8 KB56 views
Old 07-10-2010, 04:42 PM
richardda1st (Richard)

Okay so your estimate of 10mm (which you say is accurate) divided by 8 passes = laser scribing a circle on the primary of a 1.25mm radius. Is that right?

Q 1. Is that a severe enough error for an autocollimator to negate the benefits?

Q 2. Wouldn't most lasers and or laser+focuser give errors of at least that?

Thanks for your time.

Richard
Old 07-10-2010, 07:41 PM
Jason D (Jason)

Refer to the photo in this post
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthrea...2/vc/1#3906061
The 10mm estimate is the distance between reflections P & 2 which is an accurate estimation. The triangle spot perforation diameter is known to be 6mm. If you reference it, then you can estimate the distance between reflections P & 2 centers to be around 10mm.

The 8X is not because of 8 passes. In fact, Reflection 2 is only 5 passes. The 8X math is kind of complicated but it is a true statement.

Q 1. Is that a severe enough error for an autocollimator to negate the benefits?

Yes, because an average quality laser collimator can do better.

Q 2. Wouldn't most lasers and or laser+focuser give errors of at least that?

Yes. That is why autocollimators better be of superb quality to improve collimation above and beyond what other tools are capable of delivering.

Jason
Old 08-10-2010, 05:48 PM
richardda1st (Richard)

Thanks for clearing that up for me Jason.

Looking forward to Erick's call to try out his catseye tools.

Cheers
Richard

ps re the clip on light. Wouldn't a diffuse light be better than a spotlight which may be to bright to look at.
Old 14-10-2010, 06:40 PM
richardda1st (Richard)

From Astrosystems. With permission from Randy Cunningham

Just to keep it fair.
Lets not get into a brand name war please.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Richard,
We have been making collimation tools including the Laser, lightpipe/sightube and autocollimator for over 20 years. It is unfortunate that there is a lot of conflicting information out there about their use. Our Autocollimator is adjusted with an optical set-up having a 100' path. All others are just assembled mechanically and machine tolerances determine the accuracy. We adjust the tilt of the cap which holds the mirror to align the autocollimator, therefore the cap is not perpendicular to the body, so when the autocollimator is placed in the drawtube it is not inserted with the expectation the cap will be flush with the drawtube. Persons trying to force the cap flush with the drawtube has been one source of calling our tools "inaccurate". The three items in Jasons note are all incorrect in some way. First it is not necessary to see the fourth reflection, although you usually can. This level of collimation accuracy exceeds the ability of a telescopes structure to hold accurately. You will notice everyone talking about tool accuracy with no mention of the telescopes ability to hold it. What most assume or don't want to admit is that most production telescopes won't hold the single pass accuracy achieved by a laser or Cheshire (lightPipe). If you can percieve any movement of the laser spot within the center spot of the primary (1/2 pass) or on the bottom of the tool at the focuser (1 pass) when moving the telescope up and down then there is little need to waste time on using an autocollimator.

Item 2, flatness of the mirror is not critical, it is the center of the reflected spot that is being lined up so slight deviations in the appearance of the image have no affect.

Item 3 He is confusing the test for a laser which can be evaluated by rotating in the focuser. Doing this with an autocollimator cannot be done without tipping the autocollimator and seeing some movement since it only takes 1-2 thousandths of clearance between the two to show it.

I wrote the instructions and stand by them, they have been evaluated for over 20 years by thousands of customers. There seem to efforts by some manufacturers to keep collimation difficult and muddy the information water to get customers to buy their tools out of frustration.

As far as our tools accuracy, it is interesting that we have never gotten a autocollimator returned that did not test accurate. Our experience is that many have some difficulty learing the tool or don't care to take the extra time needed and rather than admit this go to the fallback "innacurate tool" defense.

We stand behind our product with a money back guarantee and complete customer support.

Randy Cunningham
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Richard,
Adding the thread is fine. I'm just trying to figure a way to dispel a lot of misconceptions that sadly, seem to be coming from manufacturers as a ploy to sell their products. I'm not saying it is across the board and some is obviously unintentional. There is one other option I haven't mentioned, that is using a laser or a Cheshire (Lightpipe) to get basic collimation and then use the star test for fine collimation. It is as accurate as an autocollimator and costs nothing and can be done at night, unlike the autocollimator. You have no doubt noticed that all the finer collimation methods are not intuitive like the Laser or Cheshire and have a learning curve.

Randy Cunningham
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for my decision:

As others have said, the Catseye tools (thanks Erick for the trial run) are very impressive tools, quality and accuracy.

The ac is to fiddly for me, and as Randy points out many scopes including mine will not be able to hold this very accurate fine tuning as I noticed during the trial run, so it's not worth all the fuss. Brilliant for quality scops.

I'v decided to get myself a good 2" barlow laser. I think I was told to do just that by Mr.47TUC back at the Snake valley camp earlier this year, why don't I listen?

Thanks one and all.
Richard
Old 14-10-2010, 07:10 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardda1st View Post
Item 2, flatness of the mirror is not critical, it is the center of the reflected spot that is being lined up so slight deviations in the appearance of the image have no affect.
I don't understand that bit. In my experience a tilted mirror is a problem. I have experienced this on an A/C with an SCT. Very hard to iterate towards a finer alignment if your A/C mirror is not square. Unless I'm missing something?
Old 15-10-2010, 07:14 AM
Jason D (Jason)

It seems that some have misinterpreted my posts as an attempt to push for a competing product. I find that to be unfortunate and insulting. I am not a vendor nor am I affiliated with any vendor. I never made a single penny from my involvement with astronomy. I am an engineer who loves and enjoys solving challenging technical problems. I was intrigued by the autocollimator reflections. I have viewed it as a challenging mathematical problem to solve. I developed a ray trace simulator to understand how reflections are formed and their characteristics. I spent a significant amount of time understanding the intricacies of the autocollimator and unraveling more of its secrets. Catseye encouraged me to proceed and adopted several of my innovations.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3532750/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/7/o/all/fpart/1

If a hypothetical laser collimator vendor attempts to sell a laser collimator that when rotated traces a circle with 1.3mm radius at a distance of 1500mm, will that vendor win good reviews? The 1.3mm radius represents an error of 3 arc-minutes which is the accuracy guaranteed for Astrosystems autocollimators.

If someone has a laser collimator that hardly traces a circle at a distance of 1500mm then how will an autocollimator with 3 arc-minutes error introduce additional accuracy? Additional accuracy implies using a tool with higher quality and higher sensitivity. Using a tool with lower quality will make things worse – not better.

Randy’s attempt to discredit the rotation test is unfounded. What is the point for someone to get out of his/her way to stack all center spot reflections then see them noticeably unstack when the autocollimator is rotated 180 degrees? I have already covered the math behind assessing the autocollimator mirror error with the rotation test. It is a valid method to assess the quality of an autocollimator.

Randy’s statement about mirror flatness being unimportant is also unfounded. A closed light path needs a flat autocollimator mirror. Without it, the background of the autocollimator will be semi-dark. This is a true statement because each part of the autocollimator mirror is contributing to the enclosed light path. Besides, why should anyone assume if a mirror is not precisely flat off-center to be flat at the center? I believe it is fair to assume the mirror will have the same good or bad quality throughout its surface.

Randy’s statement about discrediting the importance of the 4th reflection is a clear example that he does not understand the autocollimator. If I understood him correctly, he is stating that the 4th reflection is the most sensitive reflection and that ultra sensitivity is an over-kill for most scopes. He missed the whole point about the 4th reflection. First, the 4th reflection is NOT more sensitive than the other reflections. In fact, the 3rd reflection is 2X more sensitive than the 4th reflection. The math behind reflections bouncing back and forth between a concaved mirror and a flat mirror is complex and unintuitive. The importance of the 4th reflection is to use it for secondary mirror alignment. Each reflection measures a different error: 2nd reflection measures how close is the focuser axis to the COC point (Center of Curvature). 3rd reflection measures how parallel the autocollimator mirror is to the focal plane. 4th reflection measures how close is the focuser axis to the primary mirror center.

I disagree with the statement that quality and accurate collimation tools are a waste of money with scopes that flex and can’t maintain collimation for two reasons: First, the quality collimation tools will place collimation at the center of the “sweet spot.” This is the small area where collimation is considered excellent. Any minor movement of the scope will move collimation but will keep it within that “sweet spot.” In case someone swings their OTA significantly and the scope gets slightly out-of-collimation then it is up to the owner. If the owner is doing planetary observation and would like to ensure the scope is perfectly collimated at a given AZ/ALT setting, then the owner will have the option to do so using quality and sensitive collimation tools.

I am not the first one to unravel the autocollimator secrets. I only unraveled additional secrets. Nils Olof Carlin (barlowed laser inventor) was the first to analyze the autocollimator mathematically. Vic Menard used Nils Olof analysis to devise an excellent procedure to use the autocollimator starting with a technique he called CDP (Carefully Decollimated Primary). CDP uses the 4th reflection which Randy felt was unimportant. Nils Olof’s and Vic’s contributions have been published on the web for many years – even before I got into this hobby. Catseye took that work and productized it. I am still dumbfounded to why Astrosystems is still publishing outdated and inaccurate procedure and inaccurate description of the autocollimator theory.

http://web.telia.com/~u41105032/Acoll/Acoll.htm
http://homepage.mac.com/vicmenard/telescopes/NPaddend.html
http://www.catseyecollimation.com/vicsCDP.html

My critisim of the Astrosystems autocollimator should not be misinterpreted as a criticism of their other products or their business practices. I have nothing against Astrosytems. I am only criticizing the quality and documentation of a single product.

I stand behind every statement I made in this thread.

Everyone is free to do whatever they want with their money and purchase any product they desire. After all, amateur astronomy is only a hobby.

Jason

Last edited by Jason D; 17-10-2010 at 01:46 PM.