Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-03-2008, 11:18 AM
Moonboy (Gus)
404 Not Found

meteor showers

Hi all,
Just a quick thread as I have to go out somewhere.
Are there are any meteor showers around at the moment?
And if there are any when are they?
Thanks
Gus
Old 22-03-2008, 07:23 PM
Dog Star (Phil)
I'm bloody serious

Any meteor showers?

G'day Gus. Not much happening at the moment. If you want to keep up with this sort of information I would strongly advise you to get onto a copy of Astronomy 2008 by Ken Wallace, Glen Dawes and Peter Northfield. It's from Quasar Publishing (ISBN 0 9756070 3 0) and should be easy to obtain in any good bookstore eg. Dymocks at a cost of about 23 -25 bucks. Can't recommend this book highly enough as it lists meteor showers, planetary rise and set times, moon phases, monthly sky views, star maps and much, much more. It really is invaluable to the casual or serious amateur astronomer and it's aimed squarely at the Southern hemisphere and Australian skies in particular. I really don't think that there is a better book available, although I stand open to correction on this point by more experienced forum members.
If you have trouble finding it, you can e-mail Quasar at info@quasarastronomy.com.au or visit the website www.quasarastronomy.com.au
If you still have problems, just put another post on the forum and I'm sure someone will help you out. (Or send me a personal message and I'll see what I can do.) All the best!

Last edited by Dog Star; 22-03-2008 at 09:51 PM.
Old 25-03-2008, 12:41 AM
Blue Skies (Jacquie)
It's about time

Check Gary Kronk's pages
http://meteorshowersonline.com/calendar.html

The international meteor Organisation
http://www.imo.net/

And this one too:
http://www.astro.amu.edu.pl/%7Ejopek/MDC2007/index.php
Old 25-03-2008, 07:57 PM
Moonboy (Gus)
404 Not Found

Thanks for your help guy's
Gus
Old 25-03-2008, 09:50 PM
fringe_dweller
on the highway to Hell

Eta Aquariids in early may, morning hours of 5th/6th may. are the next possible decent-ish show here's an interesting quote IMO webpage

'...A relatively broad maximum, sometimes with a variable number of submaxima, usually occurs in early May. Fresh IMO analyses in recent years, based on data collected between 1984 — 2001, have shown that ZHRs are generally above 30 between about May 3 — 10, and that the peak rates appear to be variable on a roughly 12-year timescale. The next highest rates should fall towards 2008 — 2010, if this Jupiter-influenced cycle is borne-out, thus ZHRs should be around 70 or more in 2008, according to this idea. The unexpectedly strong Orionid return of 2006 October adds a degree of extra uncertainty over what may be possible from this shower too, and new Moon on May 5 makes this a perfect year for checking. A more recent analysis of IMO video results has led to a slight amendment in the radiant drift, though the radiant at maximum is unchanged...'

been a long time since i saw a good one from the ETA's, but it is moonfree, being around the new moon just perfect - so i can predict rain/clouds quite confidently for those dates, take note farmers edit: also peak is during morning hours for eastern/central states on morning of 6th may local time

Last edited by fringe_dweller; 25-03-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Old 26-03-2008, 10:45 AM
Moonboy (Gus)
404 Not Found

'been a long time since i saw a good one from the ETA's, but it is moonfree, being around the new moon just perfect - so i can predict rain/clouds quite confidently for those dates'

That funny.
Just put the meteor shower on my calendar..
thanks....again.
Gus