Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2020, 02:09 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

My brother and I had an air rifle we got from them in the late 70s. We used to shoot targets on the roof of our house which had a semi enclosed area. It was great fun!

Trouble was, our house at the time was a pub in the city (Sydney). It all ended with some police racing up onto our roof/target shooting area one day. Apparently some concern by the staff in the fire station across the road from us. That was the end of the air rifle ...
Old 02-06-2020, 02:32 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

My Daughter is 11 next year. I look forward to sharing with her a safe, enjoyable, and useful time with a rifle. I bought an air rifle and little pump action .22 for my Wife to use, but we never got the chance to do it. Since then, it's had my Daughter's name on it. I think knowing how to shoot safely and well is an important life skill. Even if your situation in life means you don't depend on it, knowledge and skill is rarely a bad thing.

If she doesn't enjoy it, then so be it. She seems to be looking forward to it when discussed however
Old 02-06-2020, 03:34 PM
leon

I also remember the time in Ballarat when the Cadets from St Patrick's College would come into town on different occasions on a Bus filled with Cadet Students all carrying their 303's. and all getting off and walking down the street to some venue.

Leon
Old 02-06-2020, 03:39 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
I also remember the time in Ballarat when the Cadets from St Patrick's College would come into town on different occasions on a Bus filled with Cadet Students all carrying their 303's. and all getting off and walking down the street to some venue.
Leon
I'm interested Leon, what year roughly was this? Depending on the time, were they carrying the ADF's current rifle, or had they moved onto the SLR by then? Doubt this would be the case in the F88 era...
Old 02-06-2020, 04:06 PM
JohnG (John)
Looking Down From Above

If they were Cadet's they would not have been carrying the full SMLE, cadet units were issued the SMLE Rifle No.2 MkIV*, used a .22 round in a single shot conversion, they were issued to Cadet Units up until 1975 I believe.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:36 PM
leon

Thanks John, I don't think I could have actually answered that question, there ya go Andy

Leon
Old 02-06-2020, 05:07 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
If they were Cadet's they would not have been carrying the full SMLE, cadet units were issued the SMLE Rifle No.2 MkIV*, used a .22 round in a single shot conversion, they were issued to Cadet Units up until 1975 I believe.

Kinda. Don't forget the green butt band cadet SMLE's, which were .303 (for the big kids). The green banding meant safe to fire, vs the yellow band DP (Drill Purpose - painted on butt, mid-foreend and nosecap, DP stencilled in black on the yellow, as well as stamped DP in the metal) and the red band rifles (do not bloody fire, or even non-standard calibre, depending on placement).

I do remember K Mart and A Mart selling rifles. Remember seeing the then brand-new Ruger Mini at A Mart many moons ago. I bought a Diana air rifle and a Norinco .22 from A Mart after saving my mowing money.

Now, well, too many, 4 safes, more money in it than astro gear LOL. I have a complete obsession with Swiss firearms, hence the paucity of Swiss rifles on the Australian market currently (plus me importing a bunch of stuff directly).
Old 02-06-2020, 05:16 PM
JohnG (John)
Looking Down From Above

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Kinda. Don't forget the green butt band cadet SMLE's, which were .303 (for the big kids). The green banding meant safe to fire, vs the yellow band DP (Drill Purpose - painted on butt, mid-foreend and nosecap, DP stencilled in black on the yellow, as well as stamped DP in the metal) and the red band rifles (do not bloody fire, or even non-standard calibre, depending on placement).

I do remember K Mart and A Mart selling rifles. Remember seeing the then brand-new Ruger Mini at A Mart many moons ago. I bought a Diana air rifle and a Norinco .22 from A Mart after saving my mowing money.

Now, well, too many, 4 safes, more money in it than astro gear LOL. I have a complete obsession with Swiss firearms, hence the paucity of Swiss rifles on the Australian market currently (plus me importing a bunch of stuff directly).
Well after my time, Lewis.. I was in the Navy March 66 so we were using big boys guns then...

Last edited by JohnG; 02-06-2020 at 05:34 PM.