Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-09-2013, 06:57 PM
PSALM19.1 (Shaun)

conjunction of uranus and moon

When uranus and moon are in conjunction on saturday night, would the moons glow make uranus a no show?
Old 17-09-2013, 07:26 PM
JJDOBBER79 (Jas)

I would like to find out more about this. I have not seen uranus yet nor do I know if its possible with a 6" dob. I expect that it would not be spectacular but a conjunction with moon may make it easier to locate. That is, if the moons glow doesnt make it a no show. What are others thoughts on this.
Old 17-09-2013, 07:45 PM
Allan

Uranus can be seen with the naked eye under a really dark sky. I look at it from time to time in my bino's and it shows up a nice green colour. In a 6" and higher power you will see it as a colourful disk.

The moon will certainly wash Uranus out and it wont look nearly as good as in a dark sky, but it will still be there to observe.
Old 17-09-2013, 08:13 PM
JJDOBBER79 (Jas)

Thanks Allan
I guess it wont appear on star charts. Maybe I will have to use elimination to find the object that is not on the map. Does it move that much or generally stays in and around the same constellation?
Old 17-09-2013, 08:45 PM
PSALM19.1 (Shaun)

I'm certainly not a seasoned astronomer (started with a Celestron First Scope 2 years ago and now have an 8" Dob): but Uranus has eluded me thus far! Thought the moon might help me line it up...?
Old 17-09-2013, 08:55 PM
noeyedeer (Matt)

I can see stars around the full moon .. dunno what mag they were but Uranus is quite bright. Being around full moon you should still be able to locate Uranus, might make it easier by washing out fainter stars .. but there's not too much of them around it. I'm going to try too with my 10" ... havnt yet seen it either (havnt tried)...fingers crossed for clear skies.

Last edited by noeyedeer; 17-09-2013 at 09:29 PM. Reason: typos
Old 17-09-2013, 09:12 PM
noeyedeer (Matt)

I had a look just then with some binos and I'm pretty sure I could see the star I've highlighted ...but it is a fair distance away from the moon. Defiently can see the mag 4.7 o Aqr, the brighter star south of the crosshairs.

matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2013-09-17_21-03-30.png)
133.9 KB48 views
Old 17-09-2013, 09:28 PM
noeyedeer (Matt)

I think at mag 5.7 we should be able to see Uranus. specially at around midnight -0100 when its directly north of the moon for me. good luck if I'm not buggered from work I might give it a go ... perhaps earlier thou.
matt
Old 17-09-2013, 10:23 PM
Allan

Planets don't get marked on paper star charts, for obvious reasons. This is where the electronic star charts are super useful as they can show any object in the sky that moves such as planets, comets, satellites, etc. There are many electronic apps in the market. I use one called StarSeek because I use it to drive my telescope. But I can use it anytime as an atlas to star hop around the sky. You can pick up cheap versions of this for around $10, and you will find all the planets in no time using one.

The outer planets can spend months and years in the same constellation, they move quite slowly. But even Pluto can be seen to move from 1 night to the next across the background stars in a telescope's field of view.

Once you have found these guys for the first time, you will locate them quick and easy after that. What makes Uranus and Neptune stand out against the star field is their colour. As I said, even in bino's they both have a green/blue appearance, but even more so in a telescope. Just scan around the area you think they are in with a lower power, looking for a green 'star'. Once you find one, up the magnification and the star might look like a small disk instead of a point of light, then as Borat would say, Ah success.

The key is having the electronic atlas to start with that shows you where the planets are. Star hopping to the right place then is much easier. Good luck
Old 17-09-2013, 10:30 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

You said Saturday night. CdC says the Moon and Uranus will be closer at around 01:00 on Saturday morning (Sydney time).
Old 18-09-2013, 11:18 AM
PSALM19.1 (Shaun)

Sorry everyone, is early Saturday "morning"....thanks for all the help everyone...hopefully might catch it at last....
Old 18-09-2013, 11:03 PM
Tony_ (Tony)

Looking at world wide telescope - the actual conjunction time (same RA) is about 12:20am Saturday morning, when Uranus will be 4 degrees south of the moon. The position of Uranus will be RA 0h 41m 46s, Dec 03:42:06.
It will be about half a degree closer at about 8:30PM Friday night, but not quite in conjunction.
Uranus is easy to see, even in a finder scope, but tricky to find - it isn't near any bright stars currently.
For those who do not know the program - World Wide Telescope is free and gives a photographic view of the sky - it is very good for searching for DSOs etc.

Regards,
Tony.
Old 19-09-2013, 06:27 PM
Tony_ (Tony)

For those who are interested I have attached 2 finder chart from CdC.
This is the location at 12:20am Friday night/Saturday morning.
Earlier in the night the position of the moon will be a bit different but Uranus won't move much. There will be a lot of glare from the moon - but it may help to find Uranus.
Cartes du Ciel is also free - and good.

Regards,
Tony.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Moon-Uranus-1.jpg)
151.0 KB31 views
Click for full-size image (Moon-Uranus-2.jpg)
54.9 KB31 views
Old 19-09-2013, 07:57 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Tony, here's another example from CdC with the Moon plotted every hour from 22:00 to 02:00. I've annotated the times on the Moon rather than using the default text, and emphasised Uranus.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20130921-Moon-Uranus.jpg)
93.2 KB28 views
Old 20-09-2013, 01:26 PM
PSALM19.1 (Shaun)

I have a sinking feeling that the weather is going to ruin my opportunity tonight! And I just bought an Orion Edge 4mm planetary EP as well....I'll pray on..!
Old 21-09-2013, 10:49 AM
PSALM19.1 (Shaun)

Prayer answered! Clear skies last night and little wind...took me and a mate an hour, but we got a good look at Uranus! Still buzzing this morning about it! Go my new Orion 6mm Edge - a good eyepiece!
Old 21-09-2013, 10:54 AM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSALM19.1 View Post
Prayer answered! Clear skies last night and little wind...took me and a mate an hour, but we got a good look at Uranus! Still buzzing this morning about it! Go my new Orion 6mm Edge - a good eyepiece!
I dragged SWMBO out to see Uranus in my 11x70 binos.
Old 24-09-2013, 08:35 PM
PSALM19.1 (Shaun)

Next stop Neptune

Next stop, Neptune! Now there's a challenge!
Old 24-09-2013, 11:25 PM
raymo

I really stuffed it up for myself. About 52 yrs ago I dragged SWMBO out
of bed at 1.00am into the snow, to have a look at the steadiest most beautiful view of Saturn I have ever been privileged to see; and she has
hated astronomy in general, and my scopes in particular, ever since!!!!!
raymo
Old 25-09-2013, 09:25 AM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
I really stuffed it up for myself. About 52 yrs ago I dragged SWMBO out
of bed at 1.00am into the snow, to have a look at the steadiest most beautiful view of Saturn I have ever been privileged to see; and she has
hated astronomy in general, and my scopes in particular, ever since!!!!!
raymo
Maybe the solution is video astronomy