Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-09-2023, 03:11 PM
JimmyAstro

Hello Everyone

Hi,

New here, just thought I would intro myself.

Looking at where to possibly start. I first took an interest in astronomy in the 80's and had a small refractor telescope back then. I do a lot of research and viewing online, including videos.

I am interested in astrophotography, something I could have only dreamed of back in the 80's.

I am thinking to start with either an EQ3-2 or EQ5 as the mount, I want something that is portable and that I am going to get out and not just sit there because it is too heavy.

When it comes to the telescope or OTA, I am thinking either a Skywatcher Newtonian 130 or 150 PDS, but I can't seem to find one anywhere for sale in Australia. Or perhaps a Skywatcher refractor 62ed evolux or 72ed black diamond refractor. I have an old 135mm lens that I am also planning on using with my cheap DSLR.

I am thinking these should be light enough for an EQ3-2 or EQ5 mount when well balanced. Trying to stay light and wide, I believe staying wide as a beginning imager is probably a good starting point as I think I will probably enjoy more success and will stay within the limits of a small mount. Early success seems to be important from what I see, and not making things too difficult to start with.

Once I have served my probation period on here, I plan on putting a wanted advert in for some of the things listed above. I am happy looking for an older EQ3-2 or EQ5, even if it needs a little work! If anybody has one? Budget is tight so don't want to spend too much. I would like to also take on the DIY OnStep system/project to add to such a mount.

Other than that really excited to be here and learn from you all.

Interested to know your thoughts and advice on the above.

Regards

JimmyAstro

Last edited by JimmyAstro; 13-09-2023 at 03:22 PM.
Old 13-10-2023, 06:54 PM
Rusty2

Hi Jimmy !

Before you blow your dough , have you thought about a Skywatcher Star Adventurer ?

I wish I had have started with something like that .

In my opinion it's a good place to start and there are benefits .

It works very well .

You can achieve longer exposures with wider angle lenses because your polar alignment doesn't have to be as accurate .

Easy to carry .

It's battery operated .

If you have a Dslr then you don't need a telescope and can use various lenses to start with .

Wide field astrophotography can be quite stunning .
https://duckduckgo.com/?va=n&t=hs&q=...ages&ia=images

You can get results immediately but will have to master finding Octans in your polar scope .

You begin to understand the importance of polar alignment and getting familiar with the night sky and what's where .

You can also begin your journey into post processing without outlaying thousands of dollars .

The whole point of what I'm saying is that a Star Adventurer will drop you into astrophotography without too many dramas . Basic gear and a easily portable setup can produce stunning results . If you find that you don't like astrophotography , then at the very least you'll get out without outlaying thousands of dollars . Astrophotography takes time and needs dedication .

Longer focal lengths require more precise alignment and that's where things change .

Longer focal lengths require a laptop or other device with programs that you will have to learn and become familiar with .

You may also need a guide scope and guide camera and if you want to lug all this gear around then you also need a power supply .

There's nothing impossible about astrophotography but it may be a steep learning curve and can be quite frustrating but once you've outlayed your money then that's it . You will either become an astrophotographer or your gear will sit in the corner gathering dust .
Good luck : )
Old 13-10-2023, 09:10 PM
USQastrostudent (Mark)

Hi Jimmy, welcome The short focal length Sky-Watcher ED refractors - as you mention the 62ED, 72ED, 82ED, and time honored 80ED - are excellent choices. Mount wise, the EQM-35 is a winner - I would not recommend going lighter than this for astrophotography as a solid set up is needed to avoid even the slightest wind from impacting exposures. The 62ED with its field flattener, on an EQM-35, would be a magnificent entry into deep sky imaging. And I assume you're meaning deep sky imaging...planetary imaging is heading in the other direction on focal length... clear skies, Mark