Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Astronomy Books and Media
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15-06-2023, 11:30 AM
John W (John Wilkinson)

I have been a long term subscriber to AS&T and will miss the magazine. To me a magazine is like an actual book - a hard copy is much better to hold in ones hand and read. One can also look back at past copies now and again - I'm unlikely to store digital copies of the magazine as they take up too much space on a computer. I also noticed the first digital copy has no date or issue number on the cover (it is a few pages inside). The star maps that cover more than one page are split in the digital version (not good).

Cheers, John W.
Old 15-06-2023, 11:57 AM
UniPol
I Prefer Refractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by John W View Post
I have been a long term subscriber to AS&T and will miss the magazine. To me a magazine is like an actual book - a hard copy is much better to hold in ones hand and read. One can also look back at past copies now and again - I'm unlikely to store digital copies of the magazine as they take up too much space on a computer. I also noticed the first digital copy has no date or issue number on the cover (it is a few pages inside). The star maps that cover more than one page are split in the digital version (not good).

Cheers, John W.
Totally agree John, a hard copy is much more satisfying to read, easy to put down when you need to get up from the lounge or wherever. I have attached a couple of screen shots from my Adobe Acrobat Pro which overcomes the problem of split pages.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (AS&T - 1.jpg)
217.9 KB111 views
Click for full-size image (AS&T - 2.jpg)
212.7 KB113 views
Old 16-06-2023, 08:05 AM
marc4darkskies (Marcus)
Billions and Billions ...

I won't be renewing my subscription either.

A couple of years ago, I tried for weeks to renew my US S&T without success. Their staff seemed utterly incapable or unwilling to help. So I switched to Australian S&T and now this?!

Thus ends my 48 year relationship with S&T!
Old 16-06-2023, 08:03 PM
David Fitz-Henr

I had a similar experience to Marcus; I was with the US Sky & Telescope for decades, but in the last few years I wasn't receiving some of my issues and their response was "that issue is now out of print" or "the print run was short", etc.
So... I switched to Aussie S&T and thought this is great, I now receive all my issues on time. However, when I tried to take them up on a bonus subscription renewal offer the other week (no mention of digital at that point), I found out (via phone) that they would be digital from now on and that I would get an email (just received the other day) to that effect. I asked them whether there was an option to pay more for the printed magazine, but sadly no ("no longer viable").
That will be it for me - I find it far more relaxing and enjoyable to read a printed version
Old 19-06-2023, 02:48 PM
PhilTas (Phil)

I don't know about anyone else, but I still have an (almost) complete collection of AS&T.
So now, I will just pick an old issue of the same month (ie, June or July), any year, and read it as if it were the current issue.
All of the regular monthly features will be relevant, and the articles will be a refresh.
Old 20-06-2023, 01:42 AM
raymo

If the posts in this thread are anything to go by, I don't think S&T will
survive in digital form.
raymo
Old 22-06-2023, 08:57 AM
dikman (Richard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
If the posts in this thread are anything to go by, I don't think S&T will
survive in digital form.
raymo
I agree. Once a magazine goes digital it's very easy for someone to post it to one of the download sites where it can be accessed for free. So two reasons why sales will decline -
People don't like reading digital magazines and want a hard copy
Why pay for it when it can be found for free.

I'm sure they will save a considerable amount initially from not printing hard copy, but how long they will survive is another matter.
Old 12-07-2023, 03:20 PM
trek1701 (Mark)

Australian Sky and Telescope

Being a long time continuous subscriber to Sky and Telescope (US then Australian editions) since 1976 I have to say I’m disappointed to hear that there will no longer be a printed version.
I get a great deal of enjoyment from having the actual magazine in hand and I think I understand and absorb the information better.
This is supported by actual research so it is probably the same for most people.

https://www.themantic-education.com/...l-vs-print.../

I am surprised with the argument that limited access to newsagents and the COVID years made a big difference to subscriptions, as people reading the print version would predominantly be subscribers anyway and thus receive their copies by mail.
So I won’t be renewing my subscription when it expires.

Mark
Old 17-07-2023, 01:12 AM
gdrabs (Graham)

Magazine

What a shame they're not printing a magazine anymore. Too much time is spent in front of screens as is. I like a bit of time out, away from powered devices... S&T just lost another subscription I'm afraid.
Graham
Old 26-07-2023, 01:37 PM
alan meehan (Alan)

Thats a real shame i always enjoy the magazine to read and have a good collection as well it's good to use as a reference to something I have read and can go and look it up. change is not always good maybe they should have done a poll before they changed
Old 07-10-2023, 08:47 AM
cgoulden (Craig)

October 2023 edition running late?

I’ve been happily reading the digital version of Australian Sky and Telescope on my iPad for a few years now. It looks like the October 2023 edition is late. It’s normally published in the middle of the prior month. Anyone know if the magazine is still going strong?
Old 07-10-2023, 11:20 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

I have a full bound collection of Sky&Telescope since Vol1, number 1 in 1941.
They provide a great source of goto reference material.

I also have the DVD version which unfortunately has difficulty playing with current DVDs (I did find a work around....)

I'd be very sad to hear that the US version of S&T had gone electronic only.
Let's hope they have sufficient subscriptions to maintain the current published version.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (100_3560.JPG)
111.7 KB84 views
Old 07-10-2023, 01:48 PM
ad602000 (Pete)
L plates

I've tried email and phone for the past week got no reply to email and no one is answering the phone
Old 08-10-2023, 03:24 PM
Crater101 (Warren)
Mostly Harmless

Clicking on the Paragon Media website link gets a message of

"SECURE CONNECTION FAILED - SSL ERROR INTERNAL ERROR ALERT".

I've tried the link from a laptop, a desktop PC, and via mobile telephone through differing providers with the same result. Not looking good...
Old 08-10-2023, 04:39 PM
brisen (Brian)

According to a post I saw on a local astro Facebook page Australian Sky & Telescope is no more. The poster had been unable to contact them and subsequently contacted the company hosting the electronic version. They confirmed the demise of A&ST. Apparently the October issue will not be forthcoming.

Brian
Old 08-10-2023, 07:25 PM
UniPol
I Prefer Refractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisen View Post
According to a post I saw on a local astro Facebook page Australian Sky & Telescope is no more. The poster had been unable to contact them and subsequently contacted the company hosting the electronic version. They confirmed the demise of A&ST. Apparently the October issue will not be forthcoming.

Brian
If this is the case it will be the second time I’ve been done on my subscriptions. I recall Sky & Space went under back when and I still had over a year left on the subscription. Regarding Australian Sky & Telescope, the cover sheet which came with my postal subscription showed the number of remaining copies yet the digital version via email had no such indication so I don't know how many copies are still owed. It will be interesting to see if we receive a refund for the remaining copies.

The following diatribe from the publisher, Ian Brooks, sent with the first digital issue in July seems rather moot now particularly as we were given two extra copies owing to our “continued support”.

Dear valued subscriber,

Due to increased print and distribution costs, we have found that it is no longer viable to produce hard copies of Australian Sky & Telescope. Instead, we will be issuing you with digital versions of each magazine which can be found here. Australian Sky & Telescope has been serving the astronomical community for almost twenty years and will continue to provide the latest news from around the world and the galaxies in the new format, Every four to five weeks you will receive an email link to the latest edition, which you can read online, download or print your favourite articles.

As a way of saying thank you for your continued support we’ve added two additional issues to the end of your subscription.

I trust you understand the reasons for the changes and thank you for your understanding.
Clear skies

Ian Brooks
Publisher
Old 15-10-2023, 02:42 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

There is data around to say revenue from print magazines has been modestly increasing over the last few years so theres still a market out there.

I like the paper in your hand part .. my father got my mother ( book person lifelong) a kindle and she never once looked at it gave it to me ..and i couldnt give it away quick enough
Old 22-10-2023, 12:04 AM
gaa_ian (Ian)
1300 THESKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
I have a full bound collection of Sky&Telescope since Vol1, number 1 in 1941.
They provide a great source of goto reference material.

I also have the DVD version which unfortunately has difficulty playing with current DVDs (I did find a work around....)

I'd be very sad to hear that the US version of S&T had gone electronic only.
Let's hope they have sufficient subscriptions to maintain the current published version.
Looks like they have gone under Merlin, such a loss for the Astronomy community!
Old 27-10-2023, 02:35 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Ian,
I think you refer to the Australian edition not the American.
Old 30-10-2023, 06:03 PM
gaa_ian (Ian)
1300 THESKY

Hi Merlin
You are correct I am referring to the Australian edition, many unhappy people who have not only done their subscription. Not only that but no more Australian content !