Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-11-2016, 02:27 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharptrack2 View Post
Thanks Rally,

That is something to consider when attempting to re-purpose older things. Sometimes technology is its own worst enemy.

BTW, the bayonet ring came off quite simply by loosening the 3 set screws in it. That revealed a ring much like a moonlight focuser with a groove that the set screws would set into. The optical tube is threaded, extends about 1/4" from the body and is 1.254" in diameter. Photo attached...

Seems like there are still possibilities for it if I can adapt to a M42 male thread... then it should fit a T-ring adaptor, correct? I just need to watch the spacing and not allow it to get to big.
The standard M42 lens thread size is 42mm with 1mm pitch. The T-ring adapters all have 42mm diameter but utilize a 0.75mm pitch.

I've just acquired an old Starlight Xpress camera and was trying to adapt all sorts of lenses just to trial it in my yard on terrestrial objects.

I have a collection of antique cameras dating back to the early 1900's and all sorts of lenses laying about. I found a few old Praktica and Zenit lenses all have standard M42 threads along with an older Pentax (K mount I think) which also has it. My T-Ring adapter will screw in enough threads to hold for a rough trial (Starlight Xpress has M42 ) but I won't be putting my extremely heavy Nikon 80-200 F2.8 ED lens on with that attachment, it's too heavy and way too expensive to replace (older 16 glass element lens).
If you can identify the lens mount, there are a host of adapters available cheap on ebay to adapt to M42. I'm currently waiting on one from Hong Kong to adapt my Nikon lenses.

I never throw old lenses away!