Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15-01-2011, 06:04 PM
kitsuna (Adam)

Exclamation consumer advice required - andrews communications

Hi all.

I'm looking to buy my first scope in the not too distant future. Obviously a big step.

I've been looking around the web and talking to my local dealers. From what I've seen, andrewscom has probably the cheapest price I've seen for what I'm interested in.

while I was checking their site, I found that in most cases, they seem to offer cheaper prices. Sometimes huge differences compared to competitors (I've seen $1100 differences for the same setup in some cases).

I realise that it makes good business to undercut the competition wherever possible, but I do have to say, I wonder if this is a case of "too good to be true."

I'd asked my local scope dealer to quote me a price on a dob. They quoted me a figure, and I asked if they could match andrewscom. They couldn't.

What followed was a rather... passionate speech by the dealer which put into question andrewscomm quality of products/service/validity. I'd rather not say what was said, for fear of breaking a forum rule. however I will say that the vendor suggested that andrewscom may not be an authorised dealer for many products (meade, skywatcher, celestron etc) and that by purchasing from them, the manufacturer may not honor any warranty because they aren't an authorised dealer. *I am not personally making such an accusation.* I only bring it up because, if true, that would significantly affect my decision to purchase from that source.

I fully recognise vendor bias when I see it, and as a result, have taken everything said with a hefty pinch of salt. however, I do wonder if there is a kernel of truth under all the chaff of bias.

I am lucky enough in that I have a friend that has dealt with andrewscom before. however, this was several years ago, and not for a telescope. They have also not had cause to test a manufacturer warranty. With that in mind, I'm trying to find some unbiased information about andrews comm.

So, what I'm really asking is if any users here have had personal dealings with andrewscomm. how would you describe the service, quality of products ordered. In particular, have you ever had cause to use the manufacturer warranty for a scope bought from andrews?

(I am aware that andrewscom offer their own extended warranty, and that is fine. However, I ask about the manufacturer warranty because if the worst happened and andrews shut up shop, I can't rely on their own store warranty).

Hearsay and rumor is not really what I'm after, because that's what got me into this position in the first place.

Any input (good or bad) would be helpful.

Thanks all!
Old 15-01-2011, 06:18 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Adam,

your seller is pulling your leg.
Andrews is well respected by the Astro community for his products and warranties.
Many times I've heard of Lee Andrews even hand delivering items on his way home from work.
I have never had a problem dealing with him over the last 6 years.
I find him honest and punctual with his deliveries.
If anything is damaged in freight he immediately replaces it.

His prices are lower because he doesn't unpack every individual item and test it.
The orders come in from overseas and he dispatches them.
He doesn't have a tech sitting there setting every scope up before it leaves the shop.

But in almost all cases scopes don't need much setting up (if any) by the dealer.

If you can grab a bargain from Andrewscom, then grab it.

Oh, and yes, he is an authorised dealer of his products.
Old 15-01-2011, 06:22 PM
kitsuna (Adam)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballaratdragons View Post
Adam,

your seller is pulling your leg.
Andrews is well respected by the Astro community for his products and warranties.
Many times I've heard of Lee Andrews even hand delivering items on his way home from work.
I have never had a problem dealing with him over the last 6 years.
I find him honest and punctual with his deliveries.
If anything is damaged in freight he immediately replaces it.

His prices are lower because he doesn't unpack every individual item and test it.
The orders come in from overseas and he dispatches them.
He doesn't have a tech sitting there setting every scope up before it leaves the shop.

But in almost all cases scopes don't need much setting up (if any) by the dealer.

If you can grab a bargain of Andrewscom, then grab it.

Oh, and yes, he is an authorised dealer of his products.
Thanks for the heads up.

I'd skimmed a few other threads on the forums here, and I've seen it mentioned that a few scopes have been bought from andrews. That's a good sign in and of itself. I hadn't seen any specific comments about the company though.

As I said, I did take what my local said with a grain of salt, but I'm naturally paranoid, especially since I'd be buying over the 'net from a source a long way away.
Old 15-01-2011, 06:37 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Adam, also mention to Andrewscom that you heard about them in the Online Astronomy Forums.
That way a dealer knows that if you don't get good service it is likely to be posted in a Forum

We gotta keep them all honest

But if you feel you can't trust Lee Andrews there is also Bintel and MyAstroShop.
Both are also trusted dealers.
Old 15-01-2011, 06:38 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Adam
I have dealt with Andrews on a couple of occasions and have had no problems, main item purchased was 12" dob. Service was fine, items were delivered as poromised. Before I bought I rang to ask a question and they got me the answer very quickly so from that side of things no problems. I will also say that the exact same level of service has been provided by very astro shop I have dealt with in Australia, so small markets certainly make for keen service!
On the warranty issue, I didn't even look at or query that with Andrews as I know about the first thing I was going to do with my scope was mod it anyways, so would probably void the warranty with week of it being delivered.
Malcolm
Old 15-01-2011, 06:43 PM
kitsuna (Adam)

all good input. Thanks a lot guys.
Old 15-01-2011, 09:24 PM
leon

I will not go into any detail here, but I disagree Ken.

Leon
Old 15-01-2011, 09:59 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post

Leon
Which bit specifically, Leon?
It can only be this line - "Andrews is well respected by the Astro community for his products and warranties." because all the rest of the comments in my post are from MY experience with him, and you can't 'disagree' with my own opinions and experience
As well as my own excellent dealings with him I have only ever heard 1 complaint about him in 6 years.

Or unless you mean that he does actually check and test every single item that leaves his store. If he does I was unaware of it.

Or unless you mean that Bintel and MyAstroShop really aren't trusted dealers.

Go 'into it' because Adam may need to know.
That is his question - "Any input (good or bad) would be helpful" at the end of his post.
Otherwise your post is useless and helps no-one which isn't fair to Adam. He asked for help.

Last edited by ballaratdragons; 15-01-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 15-01-2011, 10:22 PM
OzRob (Rob)

I have bought a few things from them with the main thing being my FLT110 and may bits a pieces that went with it. I couldn't fault the service and in fact he went a little extra due to some technical difficulties out of his control.
Old 15-01-2011, 10:41 PM
leon

That may be so Ken but I can't really bag a company on this site, because what i had to say would not be very nice.

To make it short, after a purchase from him some time ago which was faulty i might add, i was an idiot in their eyes, with a rude letter to boot, that's all I'm saying on the subject.

Leon
Old 15-01-2011, 10:42 PM
kitsuna (Adam)

Quote:

Leon
As a general rule, I'm getting pretty good feedback, which is encouraging. If you've got an alternate opinion, I'd be glad to know all about it. Feel free to PM me if you feel more comfortable with that.
Old 15-01-2011, 10:45 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Quote:
That may be so Ken but I can't really bag a company on this site, because what i had to say would not be very nice.

To make it short, after a purchase from him some time ago which was faulty i might add, i was an idiot in their eyes, with a rude letter to boot, that's all I'm saying on the subject.

Leon
That says enough. That is YOUR experience which is all Adam wanted to know.

Geez, chill Leon. You can't disagree with my own views, but you can have your own
Old 15-01-2011, 10:59 PM
casstony

To the best of my Knowledge Andrews is not an authorised dealer for some product lines including Celestron - but this is not necessarily a bad thing. Australian Celestron pricing dropped some months back in response (I imagine) to competition from Andrews, who I think has their own independent source for Celestron products. So Andrews could be viewed as the good guys bringing competition to monopolistic Celestron pricing in Australia.

Andrews and Bintel are the two main rivals; I've purchased from both shops and had good service from both. I've also been happy with Sirius Optics and Star Optics.

I haven't purchased from www.theastroguy.com.au but they're worth checking for prices too.

I'd recommend that you purchase locally if the price is just a little more - the convenience of being able to return to the shop for warranty service or advice is worth a hundred bucks or so.
Old 15-01-2011, 11:22 PM
kitsuna (Adam)

True tony. A local vendor is a boon if something goes wrong. If it were only 100 it woudn't matter. For 300 though...
Old 15-01-2011, 11:34 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsuna View Post
True tony. A local vendor is a boon if something goes wrong. If it were only 100 it woudn't matter. For 300 though...
Adam,
If you want local, as far as I know, the dealer in South Australia that is worth checking out is 'Telescopes and Astronomy'.

South Australians will be able to help you better, but it's the only one I've ever heard of in South Australia that South Australians talk about.

May be worth a try for a quote.

http://www.telescopes-astronomy.com.au/
Old 15-01-2011, 11:36 PM
h0ughy (David)

thanks Guys for your valued advice - thank you for keeping it cordial
Old 15-01-2011, 11:43 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
thanks Guys for your valued advice - thank you for keeping it cordial
That's cool David
but Adam isn't after cordial, he is after Astro goodies
Old 15-01-2011, 11:48 PM
kitsuna (Adam)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballaratdragons View Post
That's cool David
but Adam isn't after cordial, he is after Astro goodies
If I'm offered cordial with my scope, that vendor gets my business.
Old 16-01-2011, 01:08 AM
Visionoz (Bill)

Should have no problems dealing with AndrewsComm - had good experiences with both lenses and accessories - and I got immediate replacement when the "wrong" item was delivered and was even offered return postage too - yes Lee has a way with running his business and his business model sometimes irk others but it's all in favor of the customers/consumers - I know that the same tactics he employs has also made pricings for amateur radio gears go down!! or to put it another way; kept others honest!!

HTH
Cheers
Bill
Old 16-01-2011, 01:13 AM
mithrandir (Andrew)

The only time I had any problems getting something from Andrews was when they didn't have the item in stock, and the US source didn't include it in the expected shipment. It arrived a week or so later by air, rather than waiting for the next container.

Apart from that, the service has been fine. The one item returned for a warranty claim was sent by Lee (or maybe it was Luke) to the only people in Au with the skills and parts. Something the "official" importer could not match in those days.

Bintel tends to be the other shop that gets my money, and they have run into the same issue with the US not sending stock when expected.

If you actually go into either of those shops and they aren't busy, they can talk your leg off.

Andrew