Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:43 PM
glend (Glen)

But which one Fred? The choices baffle me.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:26 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Well, they are more expensive for one thing. In my case it is primarily the fact that I already have the nuc.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:47 AM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Power consumption is a main factor in my choice. As long as it functions completely.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:25 PM
jase (Jason)

I'm with Fred on his suggestion for a FITPC. I have two FITPC2 headless systems I purchased back in 2009 and they are both still running flawlessly today. The only maintenace that I needed to perform was replace the CMOS battery once as the system clock would reset upon reboot. They are powered on 24x7 controlling mount, cameras, focusers, etc. I made the transition to an SSD drive for the units in 2012 which has made the unit cooler (and faster). It runs SkyX, MaximDL, FocusMax, ACP w/Scheduler and more without a glitch on Windows 7 (32bit). You don't need grunt to run telescope and imaging control apps. I wouldn't dare attempt to process or calibrate images on this system. Its solely used for data acquisition and does that exceptionally well. When they do eventually die, I will certainly be going the FITPC route again. If you buy one, make sure you get the headless dongle that plugs into the HDMI port so you can run at full screen resolution via teamviewer, radmin or VNC. When you've got a lot of apps running doing different things its nice to see them all on one screen. Product rundown here - http://fit-pc.com/download/General/f...e-overview.pdf

Ultimately any industrialised fanless pc will do the trick. FITPC2 will run 5W under normal load, 8W under high load so is power efficient.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:02 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

They do look like a good bit of kit, but while I have a NUC lying around spare it does not make sense for me to buy one.

What does make sense though is buying one of their headless HDMI dongles. Getting a decent screen resolution to run the NUC headless took a fair bit of messing around creating files in the command line in Linux and downloading dummy drivers, and also effectively disables the display when you do plug it in.

The dongle will be a much neater solution. Money is tight, something for next month. But it did need the higher resolution to get Stellarium to run.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:52 PM
jase (Jason)

HDMI dongle shouldn't break the bank. Sounds like you've already lost considerable time tinkering around.

1080p version - $39
4k version - $63
http://www.fit-pc.com.au/#!appliances/c17lp

or

$35 for the 1080p version from a reseller in Victoria.
http://www.yawarra.com.au/shop/acces.../fit-headless/
Old 05-05-2015, 10:28 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

I will keep them in mind in a couple of weeks. I am in the middle of running a fibre optic link to my workshed (distance and a couple of other factors make getting cat6 run less than desirable) that will soak up some money and time for now.

I am currently trawling ebay for sfc compatible gear, tossing up between upgrading our switch or buying media converters instead.

Last edited by The_bluester; 06-05-2015 at 06:38 AM.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:20 AM
oilydog (Michael)

Jason, Which model fitpc are you using?
Old 06-05-2015, 10:44 AM
jase (Jason)

Michael, I used a FITPC2 (1.6Mhz, 2GB ram). If I were to purchase another today, I would look at a FITPC3 or 4 with a higher CPU and memory.

I did come across a use case for greater processing power recently when using CCDInspector to provide real time scope collimation adjustment information. It needs to process each individual exposure to report on what adjustments are recommended. Admittedly I was doing this with a 30mp ccd that had raw FITS files 55Mb in size so it took some time. Current camera produces 32Mb files so likely to be less of an issue. Still when you are making such adjustments, timing is of the essence especially when you are standing on the end of a ladder, in the cold, making miniscule tweaks to the secondary mirror.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:32 PM
Logieberra (Logan)

I took a gamble this weekend on an open box Pendo Pad 8. $120.

http://www.pendo.com.au/pendopad/pen...dppw81q716blk/

Running Windows 8.1. Quad core. Many input methods (micro USB, hdmi, micro sd card, BT etc). $25 rebate from MS at the moment. When that arrives, this unit will have cost me $95! I can't begin to tell you how well this thing performs, for the money. It's my new potable setup. Forget Raspberry Pi !

P.s. oh, and they throw in a one-year full subscription to Microsoft Office 365.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:21 PM
glend (Glen)

Out of stock now.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:09 AM
Logieberra (Logan)

Sorry. Meant to add - Target sell them. Plenty on the shelf
http://www.target.com.au/p/pendo-pad...ablet/56446876
And I'll definitely be buying this $40 dedicated case w' BT keyboard:
http://www.target.com.au/p/pendo-pad...-case/56510317
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (A729826.jpg)
73.1 KB6 views

Last edited by Logieberra; 10-05-2015 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:51 AM
oilydog (Michael)

Logan, What software have you installed on the tablet?
Old 11-05-2015, 02:04 AM
Logieberra (Logan)

Everything. Phd2. Nebulosity. Ascom. Drivers etc.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:10 AM
glend (Glen)

How does it perform? Win 8 can be a dog with all the trickery enabled and usually needs to be stripped bwck to run well.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:43 AM
Logieberra (Logan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
How does it perform? Win 8 can be a dog with all the trickery enabled and usually needs to be stripped bwck to run well.
So far, well! Are there any downloadable benchmarks to load up graphics / CPU that I can try for you and report back?

A quick comparison- it smashes my 2010 Intel Atom netbook which has 2gb or ram...

Might try SkyX tonight. Image Link is a tough test on the netbook. The old netbook falls down there...
Old 11-05-2015, 12:21 PM
niko

try DSLR Controller with the Canon 350D is you're having trouble with Backyard EOS - used to work like a dream for me.

cheers

niko
Old 11-05-2015, 12:41 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

They list the 350D as non compatible though. Which is a pity, I would happily go out and get an android device if it could work.

The main issue I face with the current setup is focus, without live view it is much tougher. I am looking at getting a Bahtinov mask to make it a bit easier.

Primarily I am trying to keep my forays into AP at the ver much cheaper end of the spectrum! A later camera would probably have been easier but not as cheap obviously.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:26 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Jase/Fred - How do those little Fit PCs go with plate solving? Would be running Sequence Generator Pro with local Astronomy.net, AstroTorilla type stuff.

Logan - how about those Pendo pads running the above?
Old 11-05-2015, 02:12 PM
Logieberra (Logan)

In my limited experience, it's Image Linking (plate solving) in SkyX that really tests my hardware, drawing on 4gigs on UCAC4 star data and the likes. That test is coming...