Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2018, 07:44 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Professional artist

How do you do it?
A mate has a mate who pulls $2500 a painting... is that worth having a try at?

Anyone know of art sucess stories.. and a run down on blue poles if anyone knows.
Alex
Old 05-07-2018, 07:51 PM
Mav

I have a mate who is an exceptional painter and his paintings command big dollars.

For him it didn't happen overnight he has spent decades honing his passion of painting and it certainly shows.

But for most artists there is little reward for their efforts. Dpn't get me started on dot paintings. lol
Old 05-07-2018, 08:23 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

When I was a kid I sent painting to the country shows and would take out first second and third..there was no restriction on the number of entries so as names were hidden the judges didnt know until the prizes were all awarded.
Me all three places five bob first, three bib second and two and sixpence for third.
The best I had was a second in the open section at the Wagga show when I was eleven it was an adult even as I understood so I was happy with second but first would have been better..just a tad unconventional they daw it but had to go classic I guess.
I made good pocket money from thst for a good while until the word got round and you could only enter once..no one thought of it but first srcond and third so I can fancy myself if I wanted and do this abstract thing I do or the faces and open a site and sell them ...my dignity eould not allow me to take probably less than $10,000 each.
I like doing them but I dont wont to srll them but to justify setting up the art studio I have in mind I have to at least set a value on my work ...I can surround myself with thousands of dollars of my art work and I would be rich.
If nothing else lock them in a box for my great great hreat great grand kids..you know so old they will be worth the fortune I delussionally figured I had.

But what if they started selling at ten grand a pop..ten is not enough.
So maybe my ten grand paintings are worth more than I thought.
Alex
Old 05-07-2018, 08:34 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I'm a professional bullspit artist, and I don't make a darned cent.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:02 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
I'm a professional bullspit artist.
Your not telling us anything new ....

Last edited by FlashDrive; 05-07-2018 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:01 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
I'm a professional bullspit artist, and I don't make a darned cent.
Had any experience selling art.
Alex
Old 05-07-2018, 10:41 PM
Mav

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
When I was a kid I sent painting to the country shows
Alex

Funny you should mention this as my daughter has 3 entries in the Alice Springs show which is tomorrow and Saturday. She has 2 entries in the drawing section and 1 in the painting section. Unfortunately for her she turned 16 on the 27th of June and got bumped up into the adult art competition.

I hope she gets a worthy mention if nothing else.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:51 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

There would be so much competition.
Maybe do something and enter it somewhere.

I was bored earlier hence the post I was waiting to go outside and sortta not really wanting to go outside but its not as cold as I thought.
Got the 80mm running and capturing stuff I have no idea of what I have..the small window means I hunt a confined region so if there if a hint of a glow or dust I fire away...a surprise maybe when processed. .. Saturn has not cleared the trees so corona australis is way little way off.
Why the camera is ticking over I might do a $5000 charcoal drawing...money in the bank.

One of my many brother in laws was put on a large cabin cruiser belonged to the gallery owner and could not turn them out fast enough selling out of Mosman.That gallery could sell a horse blanket ..my brother in law changed his style and fans left in droves...all over but his early work carries a price still I believe.
Alex
Old 10-07-2018, 04:46 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I figure I made a fortune this week.
I did some drawings representative of this new era in my career and heck I recon $15000each so thats $60,000 for under a week of casual effort.
So this is the only place these will be published so please get copies as goodness knows what they will be worth in two hundred years time.
Anyways does anyone like to draw and is accumulating a fortune in art work.
Please share something you have drawn and put your "in two hundred years price".
If you worry about your work hide it fot 10,000 years...
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20180710_161816-1.jpg)
160.8 KB26 views
Click for full-size image (20180710_161853-1.jpg)
116.9 KB27 views
Click for full-size image (20180710_161907-1.jpg)
134.2 KB23 views
Click for full-size image (20180710_161921-1.jpg)
134.3 KB26 views
Old 10-07-2018, 07:39 PM
kinetic (Steve)
ATMer and Saganist

Alex,

a tongue in cheek response, but half serious

sometimes I get more satisfaction just giving something as a present.

Most of my astro stuff is absolute garbage on the scale of things but, for
me, when given as a gift, I like to hope it means something personal to
the recipient.
The same with some of my terrestrial stuff.
On a personal level, I get a kick seeing framed stuff of mine on a wall
at someone's house, even if it just shows me how much I improved several years apart.
(Mars apparitions given as gifts, 2001, 2003, 2005 for example)
It can be done on the cheap too, see here:http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...7&postcount=10

One downside is, I think sometimes they get it out and hang it back on the wall when they know I'm coming over...
yeah you know who you are

Steve
Old 10-07-2018, 08:33 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Steve you are lucky I cant give mine away.
Alex
Old 11-07-2018, 01:37 PM
drylander (Peter)

xelasnave please don't give up your day job.
I haven't got an artistic bone in my body but know what I like and that everyone has different views but I like them but can't afford them LOL.
Hope the wealthy ones here rush to buy them. Oh wait its astronomy site so probably all broke too having bought scopes and accessories.
Pete
Old 11-07-2018, 01:45 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:
I did some drawings representative of this new era in my career and heck I recon $15000each so thats $60,000 for under a week of casual effort.
So this is the only place these will be published so please get copies as goodness knows what they will be worth in two hundred years time.
Please share something you have drawn and put your "in two hundred years price".
Alex
Working on this theory I ought to record my music practice. Some days you get a lot of bonus notes, other days it's more minimalist. And there are multitudinous variations on standard 4/4 and 3/4 to be experienced.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:00 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Alex
In the middle ages in Europe these would have sold like hot cakes.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:41 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

6My works are such a great investment I see no reason to sell them.
I had hoped someone would post some of their master pieces but are probably worried to reveal the wealth they sit upon.

I like drawing faces that appear before me as I draw..they hide in the paper but come out if you tickle them with a pencil tip.

On a train trip down once I was drawing a womans face and when near finished I hear a voice from behind " thats me you have drawn me" I look up and here is the human that owned that face that had appeared as I drove the pencil.. a funny coincidence...she was tickled and I explained that I had not seen her before and that I was not stalking her. Mind you she was rather attractive and worthy of stalking if not following.

So she sat down we had a pleasant chat and I gave her the drawing...I wonder did she throw it out or does it now sit well framed and loved.
And if framed and loved I wonder the story she tells about how the drawing came to her and her recollection of the artist.
Alex
Old 12-07-2018, 10:53 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralTraveller View Post
Working on this theory I ought to record my music practice. Some days you get a lot of bonus notes, other days it's more minimalist. And there are multitudinous variations on standard 4/4 and 3/4 to be experienced.
Of course you are an artist your duty is to create for others ...
I have been thinking aboit music as well...a three string rendition of something I have not thought about yet.
Alex
Old 12-07-2018, 03:49 PM
leon

Gees Alex you may not walk that well but that brain of yours never stops, every time i log in it is Xelasnave posts.
How good is that.

Leon
Old 12-07-2018, 05:11 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks Leon.
I am blessed or cursed with an active mind...but that comes from having no problems in my life or rather not seeing events as a problem.

I have a problem at the moment with the chap who I let live rent free on the old place for years.

It could be very worrying but he is not worth doing time over by gettimg upset and doing what needs to be done...I just see folk like that as unfortunate with special difficulties...

And I recon my legs are getting better ... when I had the operation they warned me that a wheel chair may be it for me and yet here I am nearly back to normal.

Keeping active in mind and body is so important as you age.

I visit my Dad most days and at 96 he is similar in outlook...I take him out shopping and get him to hunt for stuff on special which he loves doing and that gives him dignity somehow.

I am a very lucky fella everything just goes right for me.
Alex