Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28-06-2018, 07:33 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
or maybe up to Mt Wilson to do some viewing of its own.

Last edited by FlashDrive; 29-06-2018 at 05:13 PM.
Old 28-06-2018, 07:46 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
My order from Agena (who are based in LA) has spent the past week holidaying in LA, repeatedly going into and out of what appears to be the same regional processing facility there. Must be visiting Hollywood, or maybe up to Mt Wilson to do some viewing of its own.
lol! Mt Palomar here it comes!
Old 28-06-2018, 08:08 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

Quote:
basically invisible to Australia Post.

I found the opposite when i knew customs had my item and had waited a week blindly believing they would send some info , I was able to contact aus post with the tracking no this took a bit to get the right area but they knew my item was being held by customs and were able to give me the customs referance no straight up , handed to a broker my item was on its way in 24 hours, had i waited for customs to advise it would of been 3/4 weeks , and you wonder if due to the long delay somone didn't decide the item wasnt required and they send it back from whence it came.
Old 28-06-2018, 10:42 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamL View Post
I found the opposite when i knew customs had my item and had waited a week blindly believing they would send some info , I was able to contact aus post with the tracking no this took a bit to get the right area but they knew my item was being held by customs and were able to give me the customs referance no straight up , handed to a broker my item was on its way in 24 hours, had i waited for customs to advise it would of been 3/4 weeks , and you wonder if due to the long delay somone didn't decide the item wasnt required and they send it back from whence it came.
OK, when I say invisible, I mean Australia Post has no idea what is happening when said item has been taken by customs. Australia Post was also able to provide me with a customs tracking number. It's of zero use to you though, since there is no way that I could find for an individual to ring customs, quote said reference number, and find out what the hell was going on. One word:

TRANSPARENCY

Australian customs has NONE. They are a law unto themselves. I despise government bodies that are a law unto themselves. It's a pity Australians are too stupid to allow this to continue to happen.
Old 29-06-2018, 08:36 AM
Kunama

Tunnel..................End of Tunnel...Light

My parcel must have run out of spending money overseas, so after its third stop in Hawaii, it has decided to come to wintry Australia again...

Arriving yesterday afternoon at Sydney Kingsford Smith it then diverted to Australian Customs and I received a message from Customs that the item was "being held in Australian Customs"......

I woke this morning to another message stating the item had cleared Customs and was heading to its final destination... I hope that is here in Canberra.

The parcel's itinerary on Endicia reads over two and half pages!!! I wish I could afford an overseas trip like that....
Old 29-06-2018, 08:42 AM
glend (Glen)

At least it cleared Customs before 1 July.
Old 29-06-2018, 10:28 AM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
My order from Agena (who are based in LA) has spent the past week holidaying in LA, repeatedly going into and out of what appears to be the same regional processing facility there. Must be visiting Hollywood, or maybe up to Mt Wilson to do some viewing of its own.
I thought it was well known that ALL consumer-grade astronomical equipment has to spend some time at a major observatory before it is shipped, so it can be filled with stars.

The bigger the aperture and / or the more sensitive the sensor, the longer it takes to fill up. If you need the item in a rush, you should be able to specify that it is intended for use within the southern hemisphere only - that way, they can omit the northern hemisphere stars from the download, and ship it in about half the time.

Old 29-06-2018, 10:42 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Old 29-06-2018, 12:26 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

lol!!!!
Old 09-07-2018, 12:47 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDrive View Post
I'm having problems with Aust' Post ... AGAIN

I ordered an item from OPT on the 5th June .... OPT posted it the next day .( see tracking info )

Tracking says it arrived and scanned in Australia on the 10th June this month

17 days have passed since then.

I contacted Aust' Post regarding this matter ... their answer .... never arrived... mustn't have been put on the Aircraft ... take it up with the company you ordered the item from.

She ( the Aussie Mail person on the end of the phone ) told me that the latest tracking info ( see pic ) was a ' guess ' at when it would arrive in Aussie Land , so don't rely on it.
I just hung up .... couldn't believe any of it

Anyway ... contacted OPT...they said ... have to wait 30 days before they can investigate for a claim or try and track it down and find out where my parcel is.

Looks like one cannot ' trust ' tracking anymore ... or was she ' fobbing ' me off and telling LIES

Col.

Today I received my item from OPT .... arrived in Australia on the 10th June and IT TOOK AUST' POST 4 WEEKS TO DELIVER THE PARCEL TO ME.

5 Days from the US to AU ..... 29 Days for AP to get to my mail box

There was no GST applied ( got here before the deadline ).....no wonder people are fed up with our postal system.

Col...
Old 09-07-2018, 01:00 PM
Kunama

My parcel arrived..... Tanned and exhausted.... Aloha....
Old 09-07-2018, 01:14 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
My parcel arrived..... Tanned and exhausted.... Aloha....

Old 09-07-2018, 06:50 PM
Londoner (Mick)

Australia Post must have the worst parcel delivery service record in the world.
I also have had items sitting in Chullora NSW for over a week before heading to Qld.
I had an Express delivery package that took over a week to get from WA to Qld.

Mick
Old 09-07-2018, 08:49 PM
raymo

It wouldn't surprise me if they deliberately take for ever to deliver
standard parcels, in order to get you to use their express service,
[which in my experience is pretty good]. My latest parcel took three
days to get from Adelaide to Perth[o.k.], and five days to get from Perth to me [a 2hr 45m drive].
raymo
Old 11-07-2018, 12:48 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

I've been waiting over a month for three water filters to come from Adelaide to Queanbeyan.

The dealer rang me the other day to confirm my address as it was returned to saying address unknown. I've had the same PO box for 25 years and been buying filters from him for the last ten years.

He has now resent it, currently still at Adelaide PO since Monday.

The dealer reckons this is the tenth shipment so far this year that has either been returned or lost.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:27 PM
Kunama

I now use Express Post satchels where possible, least likely to get lost and less handling...
Old 11-07-2018, 10:31 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

I have been extremely lucky both sending and receiving parcels through Australia post and have sent quite a few,Today was the first time i have ever sent one express post ,The only close call i have had was a Vixen zoom to NZ tracking said it had been delivered and hadn't so i chased it up for the buyer and it landed a week or so late after already being scanning delivered , Figure that one out.....
Old 12-07-2018, 04:38 AM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
I've been waiting over a month for three water filters to come from Adelaide to Queanbeyan.
The dealer rang me the other day to confirm my address as it was returned to saying address unknown. I've had the same PO box for 25 years and been buying filters from him for the last ten years.
He has now resent it, currently still at Adelaide PO since Monday.
The dealer reckons this is the tenth shipment so far this year that has either been returned or lost.
Ordered two text books for my son.

1) Local AU book dealer - SYD -> ADL - 36 days
2) US - Amazon.com -> ADL - 13 days

I know both went through AusPost, but honestly... can both be delivered within say... even a week of each other?