Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24-10-2015, 10:52 AM
xstream (John)
Grey Nomad

Malcolm, I'll also stay the Monday night if the weather behaves but won't make that call until the camp.
I'll also have Edwin in tow with me so that will be another lge aperture scope on the field.
Looking forward to catching up with old faces and meeting some new ones.
See you there guys!

Last edited by xstream; 24-10-2015 at 11:09 AM.
Old 24-10-2015, 12:01 PM
byronpaul (Paul)

John - good to see another big scope for "Dob Corner". So we're going to have at least Malcolm's 20", your and my 18" SDMs, Barry's new 16" monster, and Paddy's "little" 16" .... sorry Paddy I had to get that comment in before camp

Jen - give those Doctors hell. Whilst your health is the top priority, Camp won't be the same without Drew, Johnny and yourself. Thinking of you!!!!

Only 2 weeks to go ...... getting really itchy feet

Paul
Old 24-10-2015, 02:00 PM
Dunc78 (Duncan)

Looking forward to meeting everyone in a couple of weeks. Never been to one of these weekends but they sound great.
I am a bit of a newbie and have just been trying to teach myself astronomy this past year with some success and failure. I own a basic 6 inch dob but looking at upgrading soon so will be good to see a few different scopes in action to help me work out what I want/need. Unfortunately as i am coming straight from work and my car is full of baby seats so i wont be able to bring my scope on the weekend. I will be bringing my binoculars and tripod but if anyone can let me have a few moments on the end of their eyepiece it would be appreciated.
Hopefully my new SLR arrives also before that weekend so i will get a chance to do some nightscapes and astrophotography. Again if anyone wants to give me a couple of photography pointers I would be happy for any advice.
I'm a chef so happy to bribe people with food for some mentoring!!
Let's hope we have some clear skies and a fun weekend!!
Old 24-10-2015, 02:14 PM
JohnG (John)
Looking Down From Above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunc78 View Post
Looking forward to meeting everyone in a couple of weeks. Never been to one of these weekends but they sound great.
I am a bit of a newbie and have just been trying to teach myself astronomy this past year with some success and failure. I own a basic 6 inch dob but looking at upgrading soon so will be good to see a few different scopes in action to help me work out what I want/need. Unfortunately as i am coming straight from work and my car is full of baby seats so i wont be able to bring my scope on the weekend. I will be bringing my binoculars and tripod but if anyone can let me have a few moments on the end of their eyepiece it would be appreciated.
Hopefully my new SLR arrives also before that weekend so i will get a chance to do some nightscapes and astrophotography. Again if anyone wants to give me a couple of photography pointers I would be happy for any advice.
I'm a chef so happy to bribe people with food for some mentoring!!
Let's hope we have some clear skies and a fun weekend!!
Don't worry about your lack of experience Duncan, there will be plenty of people willing to talk to and show you their scopes and let you look through them, plenty of imagers to help with the dark side as well, just ask....

Cheers John G
Old 24-10-2015, 02:39 PM
byronpaul (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunc78 View Post
.... i wont be able to bring my scope on the weekend ....
Duncan,

as JohnG indicated, don't worry about the lack of scope.

There will be plenty of visual scopes down in "Dob Corner". Just come down and join our party.

The imaging guys usual group together up the top of the field, but they normally stroll down for a look see through an eyepiece ..... after they've given up trying to polar align and get all their gear working

The crowd at Snake Valley is very relaxed, so as long as you don't shine any bright white light in peoples eyes, you'll fit right in.

See you there.

Paul
Old 24-10-2015, 08:06 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

More than welcome to observe through my SCT as long as you like Duncan, plenty of sky to go around!

I will set up in Dob corner this time with an extension cord to keep my battery going, guess I will go to the top end of Dob corner.
Old 24-10-2015, 09:10 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

It's amazing what people can do when a crazy Astro chick storms into the hospital with her devil horns sticking out and her evil eyes having a tanty and making demands to get seen to earlier it really does work
My CT scan had been brought forward to this Tuesday woohoo wish me luck xo
Old 24-10-2015, 10:41 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
It's amazing what people can do when a crazy Astro chick storms into the hospital with her devil horns sticking out and her evil eyes having a tanty and making demands to get seen to earlier it really does work
My CT scan had been brought forward to this Tuesday woohoo wish me luck xo
They must all be quaking in their boots at the Swan Hill Hospital tonight!!

Hope it goes well Jen!!

Malcolm
Old 26-10-2015, 05:06 AM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

Now Uri and are are coming to SV, can't wait! And Jen, I'm bringing along a nice lady friend, Nerida, I think she'll be in the cabin with you, you 2 will get along like old friends I suspect!
Old 26-10-2015, 08:28 AM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimmoW View Post
Now Uri and are are coming to SV, can't wait! And Jen, I'm bringing along a nice lady friend, Nerida, I think she'll be in the cabin with you, you 2 will get along like old friends I suspect!
Woohooo awesome Simon now I just have to steal a few more Nhill campers hehehe
Old 26-10-2015, 08:58 AM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

That's Great Jen, keep attit! Hope you're feeling better now
Old 26-10-2015, 05:11 PM
Nico (John)

Got space for one more nut?

John
Old 26-10-2015, 07:27 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Got space for one more nut?

John
No problem with camping. Cabins are all booked, trying to find who can share so I can free a couple up.

Cheers
Old 26-10-2015, 08:58 PM
Nico (John)

Great thanks Malcom, I'll send the proforma am tomorrow. Looking forward seeing everyone else and especially interested in meeting others to share ideas and hopefully gain some valued knowledge along the way.

As Im yet to get my self a simple tent or something, would anyone have a recommendation on a brand/type etc. Besides the scope & mount goes what else should I bring along?

John

Old 26-10-2015, 09:50 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

John
The camp has a kitchen with plenty of cutlery, crockery and utensils. Some of the cooking gear is a bit beaten around but still serviceable. The knives are a bit blunt!!
So basically food and drink and camping gear. I am not able to help with tent brands. The one I use is a no name that I bought at Ray's.

You may need a new nickname as we already have 2 "niko's" that come to the camp!!

Malcolm
Old 27-10-2015, 11:21 AM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

Hi all,
I am down for the camp with my son. Just a suggestion Malcolm, maybe it's time for name stickers (real name and IIS member name) I will hunt around for some stationary
Bo
Old 27-10-2015, 12:21 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveller View Post
Hi all,
I am down for the camp with my son. Just a suggestion Malcolm, maybe it's time for name stickers (real name and IIS member name) I will hunt around for some stationary
Bo
Good idea I think I need to have a big purple one cause no one will guess who I am on the field
Old 27-10-2015, 12:42 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveller View Post
Hi all,
Bo
I was having the same thought. I may have some clear badges with pins that you put a card into, will let you know if I cannot find them.

Malcolm
Old 27-10-2015, 04:35 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Bunkhouses are full!

Just had a some more bookings come in today.
I am at work so don't have my paperwork with me but we are pretty much full in the bunkhouses.

If you want a cabin, it may be subject to sharing or someone switching to camping.

We have about 45 or so booked in now, will publish a list later.

Numbers for the Monday night are OK, 7 or 8 at this stage. Anyone else wanting to extend?

Cheers

Malcolm
Old 27-10-2015, 05:51 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Woohoooo
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	190083