Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2019, 07:53 PM
Paul Haese

Spindle and Wagon wheel

Hello all,

This is an image of the galaxies NGC3347 and NGC3358. Two galaxies of completely different morphologies and each quite interesting to look at. I find it hard to determine which I like the most. However, I think NGC3347 holds the most interest. Mainly because it seems to have some interaction with the smaller galaxy (NGC3358) which shows a stream of blue stars appearing to be connected to each other. If you look around the field there are a myriad of fainter smaller galaxies to be seen too.

The image contains around 23 hours of data which 3 hours in each colour. It probably should have double of that to get those fainter interactions showing up brightly.

Click here for larger image

I hope you enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC3347 LRGB 830 190 190 190.jpg)
95.2 KB154 views

Last edited by Paul Haese; 06-04-2019 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:58 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
Hello all,

This is an image of the galaxies NGC3347 and NGC3358. Two galaxies of completely different morphologies and each quite interesting to look at. I find it hard to determine which I like the most. However, I think NGC3347 holds the most interest. Mainly because it seems to have some interaction with the smaller galaxy (NGC3358) which shows a stream of blue stars appearing to be connected to each other. If you look around the field there are a myriad of fainter smaller galaxies to be seen too.

The image contains around 23 hours of data which 3 hours in each colour. It probably should have double of that to get those fainter interactions showing up brightly.

Click here for larger image

I hope you enjoy.
Link to larger image doesn't work for me Paul?
Old 06-04-2019, 06:39 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Great little group of galaxies, nicely framed and well processed Paul, that faint bridge reminds me of the faint bridge in Burbidges Chain near NGC 247

Mike
Old 06-04-2019, 07:49 AM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Very nice Paul! Don't think I've seen these before.

You said "The image contains around 23 hours of data which 3 hours in each colour. It probably should have double of that to get those fainter interactions showing up brightly."

Did you mean double the amount of colour to bring out faint colour on the galaxies, or double the total amount of data?

Ron: Here's the appropriate link: http://paulhaese.net/NGC3347.html
Old 06-04-2019, 09:24 AM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Great little group of galaxies, nicely framed and well processed Paul, that faint bridge reminds me of the faint bridge in Burbidges Chain near NGC 247

Mike
Thanks Mike, yes that one is quite faint, I found it hard to see, but it is there. This one might come from out more with further integration but I have decided that this will be fine for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroron View Post
Link to larger image doesn't work for me Paul?
Yes it didn't for me either Ron. It is fixed now though. Sorry about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post
Very nice Paul! Don't think I've seen these before.

You said "The image contains around 23 hours of data which 3 hours in each colour. It probably should have double of that to get those fainter interactions showing up brightly."

Did you mean double the amount of colour to bring out faint colour on the galaxies, or double the total amount of data?

Ron: Here's the appropriate link: http://paulhaese.net/NGC3347.html
Thanks Lee, yes I meant the later. I think a deeper integration with my system (11002 sensor is quite an old tech now) overall would be better. I could see the bridge of stars in the blue channel and in the luminance, so I think doubling the colour and the luminance overall would produce a brighter look to the interaction stream of stars.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:34 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Nice work Paul. I particularly like the colours....and given the consistently high standard of your images, your site must be on is way to 6 million hits by now eh?
Old 06-04-2019, 09:49 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Lovely field their Paul - looks great!
Old 06-04-2019, 09:53 AM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
Nice work Paul. I particularly like the colours....and given the consistently high standard of your images, your site must be on is way to 6 million hits by now eh?
Thanks Peter. I don't know how many people have come through my website other than those on the little spinning world. It only registers a distinct hit once from that user. I only instituted that a few years back. I suppose it is probably around one hundred thousand distinct hits since I have had the website, I don't know.

If you're referring to Mike's 3 millionth visitor, I think that is entirely likely. He has had his site up for quite a few years longer than me, his work is appreciated by many and his images might be counted by the view. Good on his images for reaching that many people, it's only good for astronomy. A dispute over page views is not something I want to get into really.

Anyway thanks for your comment on my image.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:10 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post

If you're referring to Mike's 3 millionth visitor, I think that is entirely likely. He has had his site up for quite a few years longer than me, his work is appreciated by many and his images might be counted by the view. Good on his images for reaching that many people, it's only good for astronomy. A dispute over page views is not something I want to get into really.

Anyway thanks for your comment on my image.
Mike who?

I have noticed your recent images have a smoother/more colourful look to them. Different processing? Anyway a nice change-up ..

Last edited by Peter Ward; 06-04-2019 at 10:20 AM.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:12 PM
marc4darkskies (Marcus)
Billions and Billions ...

Beautifully executed shot Paul! Nicely framed with beautifully balanced colour.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:32 PM
DJT (David)

Lovely image Paul. An interesting field and Really well handled, Great colours etc.

Well done
Old 07-04-2019, 05:39 AM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

Awesome triplet of galaxies Paul, exquisitely captured and presented. Each of the two big ones is brilliant on its own.

The bridge between the top two is compelling.

Best,
MnT
Old 07-04-2019, 09:23 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Exquisite Paul! The detail and colour in the galaxies along with faint galactic bridge
Old 07-04-2019, 06:54 PM
CosmicEcho

Fine result Paul.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:28 PM
gregbradley

Love these deep galaxy images that show tidal streams of stars.

Good one Paul.

Greg.