Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18-03-2024, 01:22 PM
bluesilver (Peter)

Non Reflective Black Paint?

Hi, I have done a bit of a search for this, but nothing has come up.

I get some odd results like MTN 94 Spectral Shadow Black Spray Paint from SuperCheap Auto, but i am thinking this is not the correct paint?
Basically I am looking for some non reflective black paint.
I picked up some accessories on here a while ago, and with them, there were some machined up Aluminum adaptors / spacers, but because they are bare Aluminum they are reflective,
I was looking at painting them with a non reflective black paint.
I know some on here have used this type of paint, but I just can't find where I read it, and a search is not going all that well.
If someone can please give me the name of this paint it would be appreciated, I can then do a search and see where I can get it from.
Cheers.

Last edited by bluesilver; 18-03-2024 at 02:02 PM.
Old 18-03-2024, 02:02 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

I don't know whether the stove black may be non reflective. Keep in mind the simple trick of using a coat of....Damn, I can't remember, it helps paint adhere to aluminium, I'll go have a look at my laundry shelf, it should be in there.....Ah, Penetrol, an old painters trick.

A quick search on Cloudy nights showed this up, whether it's readily available in Aus I don't know.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ated_Base.html

Rosco Supersaturated Concentrated Base- Velour Black

I've also seen mention of blackboard paint mixed with a grit like sand, some say talc.

It's a hard subject, I've tried theoretically non reflective black adhesive felt and it looked like an entire star field when light hit it. I'd lined a 5" reflector with it. It soon got ripped out and discarded.
The other option is anodising. It can be done at home using black food colouring from what I've read and basic chemicals you can get at Coles and Bunnings.
I do believe however end results vary and it's a trial and error process.
Actually, I ran the zinc and anodising tanks at an industrial plating shop in my early 20s (too long ago to really remember), it was all trial and error, nothing requiring a good finish ran through without a few test samples first.
I myself have a few adapters I've had machined I have yet to anodise, one day....
Old 18-03-2024, 02:08 PM
Tulloch (Andrew)

Maybe this?
https://www.bunnings.com.au/dulux-1l...paint_p1400929
Old 18-03-2024, 02:42 PM
bluesilver (Peter)

Some good suggestions there.
So far all i have done is just sprayed it with flat Black paint.
I will keep on searching, but i do remember somewhere there was talk about it and there was a product most were using.
All good though, hopefully someone that has done this will chime in.
Appreciate all the advice.
Old 18-03-2024, 02:59 PM
RB (Andrew)

Peter, there was discussion in this thread.
I hope this helps.

https://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/...ighlight=Black

RB
Old 18-03-2024, 04:14 PM
ronson

I haven't used any of the following, but when researching on CN, seems the consensus was that this one is possibly the best out there: Musou Black Paint 100ml. But's it is quite expensive and also very fragile once applied.

An alternative which is not far behind, but much cheaper, is this one: Sennelier Abstract Matt 60ml 759 Mars Black.

I would only use them for the inside/internal surfaces which are part of the light path. For outside surfaces, just use any suitable for the material paint.
Old 18-03-2024, 05:04 PM
bluesilver (Peter)

Appreciated,
Yes, just found musou black after a bit more searching.
Also black 3.0 and the newest version black 4.0
At least i have something to go a look at now.
Appreciated.
Old 18-03-2024, 05:36 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Some more options -

1/ TS Optics use Berger Anti reflective paint for all their Newts and Astrographs maybe you can find it online

2/ See if Sidereal Trading might share a trade secret or some advice with their custom Astrographs

Cheers
Martin
Old 19-03-2024, 05:15 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

https://www.gerdneumann.net/english/...cal-paint.html
Old 19-03-2024, 07:16 PM
floyd_2 (Dean)

This is probably slightly off topic, but I've used Protostar Flock Board in years gone by and found it to be an excellent alternative to paint. I tried their flocking paper too (sticky on the back side), but had a scare when a sheet of it delaminated from the inside of my 14" scope at the time and landed on my primary. So lucky that it fell flock side down. Flock board doesn't have that problem though. Might be worth considering depending upon your application.
Old 21-03-2024, 02:29 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

So you nearly had a major flocking problem Dean?
Lucky it fell non adhesive side down on the 14 inch mirror.
I'd need a Packer Whacker standing by if that happened to me and I only have little 8" mirrors.

I once mentioned having a flocking problem in another astro-forum and it was swiftly edited.
I may have played on words a little to make it sound funny, to me anyway. I've long learnt not everyone shares my warped sense of humour.

I am keen on playing with that theatre black but my local Bunnings don't carry it. The lady at the counter tried to find the Dulux formula to make it, I told her it wouldn't be readily available, it would be a trade secret.
Old 21-03-2024, 03:23 PM
astronut (John)
2'sCompany3's a StarParty

I painted the inside of my 12" Truss mirror/ground box with Rustoleum Flat black.
It is black and it is Flat!!
Old 21-03-2024, 06:59 PM
floyd_2 (Dean)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo.G View Post
I'd need a Packer Whacker standing by if that happened to me and I only have little 8" mirrors.
You're right there mate. I couldn't believe it when I saw that the paper had let go. It was nearly a clean up on aisle 4
Old 22-03-2024, 08:27 AM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

I used an airbrush to paint with Musou Black a dew shield for one of my refractors. Once a couple of layers were done, I held the cylinder out in the midday December sun. It didn't even look like a cylinder any more. It looked like a 2 dimensional object in direct sunlight. Unfortunately it is a fragile finish when using a spray brush. To protect it you need to use a matte varnish. But, matte varnish is still a bit glossy because varnish.

For other flocking related projects I just watered it down and applied multiple layers for a smooth but very very black finish. Also, much more resilient when applied that way.