Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2016, 04:10 PM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG Hybrid View Post
LOL. Those jokes went straight over your head. Its nigh impossible to observe at over 3km in Australia. Sirius is also a summer object.

The closest you can get to it is 2745m above sea level, and you'd be freezing your RRRRs off.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:29 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post

The closest you can get to it is 2745m above sea level, and you'd be freezing your RRRRs off.
Exactly also Matt.

Some people you can attempt humour at ; others not it seems.

Cheers and thanks for your welcome input.
'
bigjoe.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:49 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Title

Thought I would adjust the title, to reflect all the wonderful advice given here by many members, that would be of use , not just for Sirius but double star observing and reporting generally as well.

As usual all input most welcome for the benefit of all interested.

bigjoe.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:33 PM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
Thought I would adjust the title, to reflect all the wonderful advice given here by many members, that would be of use , not just for Sirius but double star observing and reporting generally as well.

As usual all input most welcome for the benefit of all interested.

bigjoe.
But Sirius is a special case, as the magnitude difference is a full 10 magnitudes (i.e. a factor 10000), unlike 'normal' double stars like Alpha Centauri or Alpha Crucis which are even visible in full daylight with a small scope.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:08 AM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysurfer View Post
But Sirius is a special case, as the magnitude difference is a full 10 magnitudes (i.e. a factor 10000), unlike 'normal' double stars like Alpha Centauri or Alpha Crucis which are even visible in full daylight with a small scope.

Skysurfer- it's all our MEMBERS ADVICE , most of it will come in handy for ALL other double stars in general.

EG:KNOW YOUR FIELD , PRACTISE, USE COMFORTABLE STOOL,WEAR WARM CLOTHING, APERTURE, USE OF ZOOM, DRIFTING ETC, ETC.
HOPE THIS HELPS

bigjoe.

Last edited by bigjoe; 02-03-2016 at 01:00 AM. Reason: adding-
Old 02-03-2016, 05:07 PM
Bombardon (Eugene)

Hello all Puppy lovers. Last night did not bode well for me, as even the Rigel wrestle failed However, I did enjoy the sparkling(!) Jupiter as I warmed up(cooled down) and found John B's mask really steadied the image. I spent most of the night on Corvus as I was keen to visit some old faint fuzzy friends, The Antennae etc, and will report in due course. To keep 'you know who' happy I got into some fine doubles as well and was most impressed with the lead in doubles to the Sombrero.
Tonight looks not bad so far so I had better plug in my super dooper humidity extractor soon. Just keep bowling me over with the serious Sirius attacks.
Eugene
Old 02-03-2016, 07:58 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombardon View Post
Hello all Puppy lovers. Last night did not bode well for me, as even the Rigel wrestle failed However, I did enjoy the sparkling(!) Jupiter as I warmed up(cooled down) and found John B's mask really steadied the image. I spent most of the night on Corvus as I was keen to visit some old faint fuzzy friends, The Antennae etc, and will report in due course. To keep 'you know who' happy I got into some fine doubles as well and was most impressed with the lead in doubles to the Sombrero.
Tonight looks not bad so far so I had better plug in my super dooper humidity extractor soon. Just keep bowling me over with the serious Sirius attacks.
Eugene
Hello Eugene - at least one PUPPY lover hear.

Strangely enough I was almost doing the same as yourself last night!!
VIZ: Viewing the GRS its hollow, and some other details there and was just about to go over to the Sombrero, and the wonderful IZAR before it just got too late!!

Well possibly tonight , and another go at the PUP in my 10" SCT but I'm going to see my brother who's just come back from Las Vegas were he mostly lives, so I'll have to wait and see.

PS: Hopefully Matt and some others can report on what they have seen of Sirius in their smallish Refractors!

Cheers bigjoe.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:07 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Just added another great tip for Sirius and some other bright doubles courtesy of John Hothersall!

Look at his fabulous image of Sirius A and B in another thread.

PS: you will find this in the Solar System Section.

bigjoe.

Last edited by bigjoe; 02-03-2016 at 08:10 PM. Reason: add
Old 03-03-2016, 05:09 PM
75BC (Brendon)
Always in the dark.

I have nothing constructive to add but just wanted to say how much I’m enjoying this thread.

I’m new to observing these types of objects (doubles and multiples) and there have been some great tips n tricks here.

For those with less experience such as myself this will be great resource to go back to.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:21 PM
Bombardon (Eugene)

Did I mention Joe, that if you have street lights a cowl or hood, such as those monks with the hairy legs sported in days of yore, can improve spotting really faint companions. ;-))
Old 03-03-2016, 06:10 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Brendon; you have some terrific gear there! Which I have no doubt will do the trick on Sirius, and some other very faint or close doubles when the opportunity arises for you.

So goodluck; follow all the advice of our well respected members here, and we will be adding even more tips soon enough - and welcome also!

bigjoe.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:15 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombardon View Post
Did I mention Joe, that if you have street lights a cowl or hood, such as those monks with the hairy legs sported in days of yore, can improve spotting really faint companions. ;-))

That's a great tip also Eugene!
No need for any modesty; it has to go in as a legitimate tip as good as the others! Well done once again.

bigjoe.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:44 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

A SUMMARY OF DOUBLE STAR OBSERVING TIPS SO FAR
- VIZ SIRIUS:

1: SEEING - Must be excellent.

2: ALTITUDE - Well above the horizon in
most instances.

3: APERTURE - 100mm+, Cooled and well collimated, though probably no more than 12" due to the affects of seeing on large obstructed scopes; though it now appears certain, that even a 70mm achromatic refractor of long focal length can result in DETECTION!

4: POWER - The use of it is necessary - Helps darken sky background, and with limiting magnitude ; 200x + may be needed.

5: USE A MASK - Hex , may be necessary.

6: ORIENTATION - Is your diagonal/scope displaying an upright E/W view; If not adjust accordingly.

7: PRACTISE on Rigel say - Bright, with similar separation. Know what a separation of 10" will look like in your go - to EP - VIZ - Know your field.

8: DRIFTING - Let Sirius A drift past the field stop , and disappear, as B will surely follow.

9: WARM CLOTHING , and stool if necessary.

10: PATIENCE - and lots of it - It could take many attempts!

11: LESS GLASS - Use of EP with fewer elements 4/5 max to increase contrast and detection, may be of help.

12:AVERTED AND DIRECT VISION - Go back and forth between direct and averted vision, until the companion is held in direct view.

13: ZOOM EP - Use of a good marked zoom EP, to find the optimum power for the seeing and filters if necessary.

14:HIGHLY ACCURATE FOCUS - TOGETHER WITH A NICE FLAT FIELD, FREE OF CURVATURE - this is a must also , and you may have to re-focus often.

15:VERY STABLE MOUNT - Absolutely no wobbles!

16:VIEWING AT TWILIGHT - Can reduce the glare of Sirius A - and this goes for other bright primary doubles as well!

17: HOOD or COWL; this WILL help if streetlights or other bright light sources are a nuisance -- I rarely observe without one in any case!

bigjoe.

Last edited by bigjoe; 05-03-2016 at 04:56 PM. Reason: correction
Old 03-03-2016, 06:47 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

So now I have to dress like a Monk to spot the Pup?....Out goes the warm clothing..... which I have never done for the Pup, for obvious reasons

OK so I'm going to give it another go tonight and on the Gaunt is the 6" f12 with 70mm f13 piggybacked.

Sort of last chance for me as night work starts at the end of next week

Hope to do a report later on...maybe me second ever sketch

Ahh... bigjoe has added a list while I was typing away.....not ay all convinced about the Aperture size, specially down South as we are...will see.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:13 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattT View Post
So now I have to dress like a Monk to spot the Pup?....Out goes the warm clothing..... which I have never done for the Pup, for obvious reasons

OK so I'm going to give it another go tonight and on the Gaunt is the 6" f12 with 70mm f13 piggybacked.

Sort of last chance for me as night work starts at the end of next week

Hope to do a report later on...maybe me second ever sketch

Ahh... bigjoe has added a list while I was typing away.....not ay all convinced about the Aperture size, specially down South as we are...will see.
Ha! Hope it doesn't get too hot and sweaty under the hood Matt!
You would probably look a right sight to any passer-by dressed as a Monk at the EP, but it can be a very solitary pastime....so maybe a good choice of outfit .

PS: Hope you can do a report before work sets in!

Cheers bigjoe.

Last edited by bigjoe; 03-03-2016 at 07:14 PM. Reason: add
Old 03-03-2016, 07:57 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Re minimum aperture

I too Matt am not 100% convinced of the minimum aperture needed just yet, however it is on the list tentatively, as the reports so far in the 80/85mm class have proven fruitless!

So maybe it is up to yourself Matt; or someone else with similar experience, honesty and integrity with the sub 100mm class - So let's see then!

bigjoe.

Last edited by bigjoe; 03-03-2016 at 09:43 PM. Reason: add
Old 03-03-2016, 08:06 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Here are sky conditions over Mexico....sorry Melbourne at 8pm Thursday night. Should clear up later on I hope, still might get an viewing in before too long.

At this time of the year Sirius appears over the top of my neighbours Gum tree....as does so much other great stuff like M 104 later on....I wanna move to the country.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_4530.jpg)
59.5 KB8 views
Old 03-03-2016, 09:19 PM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

You don't need big aperture. It just makes it a cake walk. Well... as long as seeing isn't bad.

Last edited by AG Hybrid; 03-03-2016 at 10:58 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:01 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Well that was quick. The 6" f12 frac and a 27 Pan followed by an ES 28 68 shows the Pup without question. The tracking was playing up which didn't help...most likely I have forgotten how to balance the mount after using the 10" Newt so often...a hard life

So the 70mm....A fleeting few sightings of the pup sitting in' between the first and second diffraction rings with a 6mm Ortho. Much the same as the other night with this. I'm surprised to see the Pup at all really with 70mm.My first night with the 70mm showed the pup inbetween the first and second rings with its own pair of diffraction rings... Kind of interesting watching the conditions change around Sirius...great one moment...a second later looking like a big ball of hair 70mm in the right conditions is doable,I reckon, but getting to the limit...luckily I have an 80mm f7.5 frac...and a 90mm f11 frac....could try the 50mm f12
It ain't over til it's over...

There is always Spring at 3 in the morning
Old 03-03-2016, 11:41 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattT View Post
Well that was quick. The 6" f12 frac and a 27 Pan followed by an ES 28 68 shows the Pup without question. The tracking was playing up which didn't help...most likely I have forgotten how to balance the mount after using the 10" Newt so often...a hard life

So the 70mm....A fleeting few sightings of the pup sitting in' between the first and second diffraction rings with a 6mm Ortho. Much the same as the other night with this. I'm surprised to see the Pup at all really with 70mm.My first night with the 70mm showed the pup inbetween the first and second rings with its own pair of diffraction rings... Kind of interesting watching the conditions change around Sirius...great one moment...a second later looking like a big ball of hair 70mm in the right conditions is doable,I reckon, but getting to the limit...luckily I have an 80mm f7.5 frac...and a 90mm f11 frac....could try the 50mm f12
It ain't over til it's over...

There is always Spring at 3 in the morning
Ha - This is just fantastic Matt, with a 6mm Ortho ; however I don't know weather to put 70mm down as the minimum recommended aperture, just yet!- I really do not know.

"It ain't over til it's over...".... Too true Matt - Maybe the 90mm will have to be recommend as the minimum that is, well easy enough, as it was not done in a TV85; but let's see !

PS: Can not wait till you try the 90mm at f/11; that could be in the easy enough class!! Question is ..Will you have enough time?

bigjoe.