Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2017, 09:57 PM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

NGC6744 - 2nd image from that night - 10 inch testing

22 shots of 2 minutes each @ISO3200 taken with the Sony A7s collector's item (sans star-eater feature) and the Royce 10 inch mirror.

HIGH REZ HERE

I have calculated the optimum sky limited exposure for this Heathcote sourced image and yes 2 mins is the correct exposure time. Gawd! But I still feel I might try some longer exposures another time to see what extra I can retrieve.

I've compared the image to a few here and am very pleased with the result, considering my remaining improvements yet to be made to the system. Especially fine tuning of the back focus and guiding. Oh and elec focus about to come into play.

This image means a lot to me, as it was the point at which the below started happening, I typed this on one of Mike's image posts, It was when I truly fell into the abyss...........Later, when I plate solved all the faint fuzzies, it was even more of a buzz!

"I have to mention my 'religious' experience last weekend. First full decent test of my 10 inch scope. At 3 in the morning at sub zero Heathcote, I was hunting around the planetarium for good targets. Fell across the Fornax region, so started aiming for various areas there. No specific target searches, just took a 20sec image (with the sensitive A7s), plate solved and peered. And peered! I ended up taking an hour to compose my shot and loved every freaking second of it! Enthralling, mystical, searching for those incredibly massive and populous galaxies. I could feel myself succumbing to the aperture and focal length bug! No.....dont order the RC Simon!!!! Well not yet anyway."
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Galaxy LR2 small.jpg)
202.8 KB82 views
Old 03-08-2017, 10:13 PM
gregbradley

Crazy good for such low exposure time. This is a dim galaxy. A bit too much red though. Its mostly bluish with a yellowish core and some Ha in the arms.

Imagine if you did 10 hours worth The rise of CMOS sensors eh?
Whilst CCD development is all but finished CMOS are becoming amazing.

Greg.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:33 PM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

Yep, amazing for 44 minutes.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:18 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I can attest to how cold Heathcote has been recently and you've done a good job with such a faint sucker. 44 minutes isn't a lot for this one, as Gregsays, hit it hard with a good 10 hours
Old 04-08-2017, 01:10 PM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

Thanks folks, your reactions are making me satisfied that the idiosyncrasies of the cam are worth enduring. At least until a decent sized Sony mono chip is available.

I just saw the new release of Pixinsight notice, so will give the easily named "PhotometricColorCalibration" a whirl on the colour balance.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:25 PM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

Well done! The field came out very nicely too. That's a good focal length for this galaxy.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:51 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Looking good Simmo!
Um, the stars around the galaxy are sharp, but all the rest appear soft, not sure what's going on there
Pretty nice setup you've got going, looking forward to seeing results when it's fully pimped up
Old 04-08-2017, 09:38 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

You need a huge scope, Simon. Don't let anybody tell you different

That's excellent for a short integration with a DSLR. NGC6744 is a challenge even for CCDs and bug scopes.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:41 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
You need a huge scope, Simon. Don't let anybody tell you different

That's excellent for a short integration with a DSLR. NGC6744 is a challenge even for CCDs and bug scopes.

Cheers,
Rick.
OI! Wotz wrong with 80mm?

VERY nice resolution there Simon!