Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2012, 11:15 PM
EricB (Eric)
Waiting for good seeing!

I spent a couple of hours watching. I had a great time! The Moon was great again and I was able to take a few picture point and shoot style with a hand held camera. Here is my second picture taken through a Plossl 15 mm.

The Orion nebulae was fantastic through the 25mm and the 15 mm.

On the down side, I could get any focus through the x 2 barlow I was trying for the first time. I can't yet figure out why...

Cheers,

Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Moon 3Feb 12 (15mm) 3.jpg)
173.9 KB35 views
Old 04-02-2012, 08:58 AM
Shark Bait (Stu)
'ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha'

The 2x barlow will result in doubling the magnification at the eyepiece:

25mm placed over the 2x barlow and slotted into the drawtube = 12.5mm

15mm placed over the 2x barlow and slotted into the drawtube = 7.5mm

This is a cost effective way to increase the magnification without purchasing more eyepieces.

You should be able to achieve focus using the 2x barlow on your rig. Hope this helps.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:44 AM
EricB (Eric)
Waiting for good seeing!

hi Stu,

I used my 2" barlow with a 2" 30 mm superview piece, slotted straight into the 2" focusser. Completely out of focus. As i have never used a barlow before I am not sure I am doing the right thing. The SP 30mm is fine used by itself.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 04-02-2012, 10:01 AM
Shark Bait (Stu)
'ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha'

Did you use the 2" adaptor as well?

This should allow you to reach focus.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:20 AM
EricB (Eric)
Waiting for good seeing!

No Stu, should I have?

Eric
Old 04-02-2012, 10:30 AM
Shark Bait (Stu)
'ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha'

Using the 2" adaptor as well and the 2x barlow / 30mm combo should allow you to achieve focus.

It is an idiosyncrasy of the Sky Watcher design that does not seem to be easily explained.

Give it a go, hope it solves the problem.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:37 AM
EricB (Eric)
Waiting for good seeing!

Thanks again Stu. i will give it a go tonight.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 04-02-2012, 03:05 PM
Screwdriverone (Chris)
I have detailed files....

Hi Eric,

The problem is probably due to the primary mirror being screwed all the way down to the bottom of the tube for transport from the factory.

My 12" and my 8" Skywatchers were both like this and on the 12" especially, I couldnt achieve in focus like you mentioned.

Try this: LOOSEN the primary mirror screws (the big ones) as much as you can without completely letting go of the bolts that protrude from the primary mirror cell by the same amount so that the primary is "moved" up towards the secondary mirror.

Then without an eyepiece in, put your eyesocket flush with the focuser and look into the scope with the front cover removed (and look at a white wall or roof - NOT outside). What you need to see when you have the focuser racked out about half way is ALL three primary mirror clips in the circle around the primary with the secondary mirror looking like a concentric circle RIGHT in the MIDDLE of the reflection of the primary circle. If the secondary looks off to one side of the centre, adjust slightly the primary mirror screws until the little donut marker of the primary is in the middle of the secondary reflection and in turn the secondary is centred in the middle of the primary reflection, basically, ALL circles should look like they are on top of each other like a stack of three with a common centre.

Then, when this is done, put in your laser collimator (I assume you have one) and then from the top of the tube (be careful of the laser, it may be shining OUT of the tube) look at the laser spot on the primary and make sure it is in the middle of the primary centre spot by adjusting the secondary using the screws (or the bob's knobs) to adjust the tilt of the secondary until the laser lives inside the little primary circle.

Then go around to the bottom of the tube, look at the silvered 45 degree reflector on the collimator and see if the laser is "returning" into the centre of the HOLE in the silvered 45 of the collimator. If it is, it will be "scattered", but if it isnt, then adjust the primary mirror screws (the big ones) to TILT the primary mirror until the laser points to the HOLE and then you will see when the primary is in the right spot.

The smaller "lock" screws of the primary can then be screwed in GENTLY to lock the primary mirror position somewhat. Be careful to not move the primary too much with the locking screws by keeping an eye on the laser and if you do move it off, just back off or fix it with the big screws so its back on target.

Once done, you should move around to the front and double check the laser is still spotted into the middle of the primary and that the return is still scattered into the collimator return 45's hole.

Now your mirror should be HIGHER up the tube and the 2" eyepiece and barlow combo should get focus, your mirrors should also be now concentrically collimated so images will be sharper too.

I found my Skywatchers both had the mirrors screwed ALL the way down to the bottom of the tube for transport and I had to do this to fix it up and get good, collimated focus.

If you arent sure as to what any of this means, check out the tutorial here which has pictures of the mirrors and clips etc and it will become clear on what it needs to look like.

Good luck

Cheers

Chris
Old 04-02-2012, 09:33 PM
EricB (Eric)
Waiting for good seeing!

Thanks a lot Chris for the detailed explaination. I will try your method tomorrow.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 05-02-2012, 06:18 PM
EricB (Eric)
Waiting for good seeing!

Well, I tried the barlow again between two showers (I can't believe it's raining in Adelaide in February...). I collimated the scope as per Chris's instructions, then I inserted the 2" adaptor, the barlow, the 1.5" adaptor, the EP and ... voila! I could focus on a distant tree without any problem. This said, having to put a 2" adaptor on a 2" focusser isn't Sky Watcher's greatest design idea.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 05-02-2012, 07:18 PM
Screwdriverone (Chris)

Hi Eric,

Sounds like you are putting a 2" barlow in the 2" adaptor THEN the 1.25" adaptor and a 1.25" Eyepiece?

You shouldnt need to do this to get focus. Having said that, obviously with 1.25" eyepieces, this would be the only way you would be able to use the barlow with those.....

I think you mentioned you had a 30mm 2" eyepiece. With the mirror now moved up the tube as per my instructions, this should easily reach focus now without the barlow??

Keep in mind also that as you have a collapsible dob, you can slide the secondary cage down a mm or three to bring the secondary closer to the primary to achieve focus, but with the primary now higher, you shouldnt need to do this with the 2" Superview or the 2" barlow or any other 1.25" eyepiece at all anymore.

Yes, you are right, the best design would have been that the focuser tube was the size of a 2" eyepiece so the 2" adaptor wasnt needed, but hey, what can you do, probably designed by a committee! As they say, a cow is simply a racehorse designed by a committee......

Good luck with it all.

Cheers

Chris
Old 06-02-2012, 09:12 PM
EricB (Eric)
Waiting for good seeing!

Thanks for the tip Chris. Yes, that what I am doing. OK, I will try with the 2". I guess I'll get use to setting my gear once I have taken the scope out a few times. I haven't been able to take the scope out at night since last week. We have been having cloudy nights lately.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 06-02-2012, 11:09 PM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

Consider getting a zoom 6 mm <-> 24 mm quality eye piece. When you are happy to spend a bit more on eye pieces get a mid range eye piece around 13, 17 or 22 mm. I get a lot more fun out of decent (Vixen LVW) eye pieces - around $200 second hand then any sort of super Plossl.

And low magnificant is great for most seeing - its only on rare nights you can up magnification. For me light grasp and sharpness of image trumps magnification every time.

Also - consider:

1. Comfortable, height adjustable chair
2. Eye patch - saves quinting or holding one eye closed for ages
3. Bhatinov mask - makes nailng perfect focus childs play
4. Warm gear for winter!

Matt
Old 07-02-2012, 12:49 AM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Hi Eric, sounds like you're having a blast!

I had trouble with my barlow not coming into focus as well. Not sure if it's the same problem as you though. In my 6" dob it worked beautifully, but when I got my 10" (same brand) the focusser tube was too short and the barlow stuck out too much and wouldn't come into focus. I wasn't happy, it's a 2" Celestron ED barlow which cost me $175! Grrrr.

Following on what Chris saying earlier about visiting the Orion Nebula....
Go back to it using a 6 or 7mm ep and dive into the Trapezium. You will see 4 bright stars. Now look closer with that high power ep- you will have split them showing another two- the E & F stars (very tiny). The Trapezium stars are baby stars only a million years old and is what lights up the Orion nebula (along with the another 1000 stars in that cluster that we can't see). Have a look here for a diagram of the Trapezium cluster.

Next... point that same high mag. ep at Sirius and split it to reveal it's tiny "pup". At first you'll probably laugh and say (as I did!) how the heck, that is so bright, but take a good look and you'll see a tiny speck sitting above it.
Splitting stars is a lot of fun and rewarding when the bright moon is out or to go for between cloud gaps.

When you're ready to buy some observing guides, let me know and I'll help you out. I enjoy spending peoples money, it's what a gal does best.

Meanwhile, don't get that mozzie spray anywhere near your mirror or eyepieces, it will destroy them. I use a fan and blow the suckers away. I found that when I was wearing repellent they still use to buzz around in the swarms around my face with that annoying noise, so with the fan they don't come anywhere near me.

Pop into the observing forum to sharpen your observing skills and get some ideas on some targets. There's a sub section for "observation reports" which is very helpful too.

And if you didn't already know this, here is an ultra useful tip....
When the stars are bouncing and twinkling like crazy, don't even bother setting the scope up (wish I'd known that in my first 6mths of first timer viewing, LoL.) You'll get good nights, great nights and lots of bad nights. On a good night, trust me, with that 10" dob you will see so much detail on Jupiter that you'll practically have to pick your jaw off the ground... those blue grey wave patterns, little storms etc it's so dynamic, in one night you can see a complete rotation of the planet (9 hrs). But don't wait until it gets too low down in the horizon - you want to view it when it's above 30 deg (the atmosphere turns it to soup at that alt.) We're starting to lose Jupiter, by March it should be gone, so when you look out now as soon as it turns evening (doesn't need to be dark) take a look while it's at its highest, as it sets fairly early in the night these days.

Also, take a look at Mars- the polar ice cap is very apparent! (I saw it very well thru a 7mm ep). And Saturn is on it's side at the moment , the rings have opened up nice and wide, you can see the Cassini Division beautifully.

One more thing....
You'll notice now that EVERYTIME you step out the door (be it visiting or getting out of your car) at night time you will automatically look up!

Enjoy Eric!

P.S. Btw, Chris & I hold the record for the looooongest posts, lol.

Last edited by Suzy; 07-02-2012 at 01:01 AM.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:20 PM
Screwdriverone (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy View Post
P.S. Btw, Chris & I hold the record for the looooongest posts, lol.

You can say that again Suzy, although I am but a mere mortal compared to the master that you are.....

Cheers

Chris
Old 07-02-2012, 12:38 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Quote:
One more thing....
You'll notice now that EVERYTIME you step out the door (be it visiting or getting out of your car) at night time you will automatically look up!
And there is the statement of the day. I thought I must be the only one. Lately I find myself cracking my cars sunroof open to have a look when I am stopped at traffic lights!

Must get out for a look at Saturn, but the nights when I can stay up late enough are a bit limited, not really possible except Friday and Saturday nights with work during the week.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:41 PM
EricB (Eric)
Waiting for good seeing!

Hi Suzy,

Quote:
Hi Eric, sounds like you're having a blast!
Well, to tell the truth, I am a bit frustrated a the moment because of the cloud cover over SA at the moment. I think it's supposed to be overcast all this week. Not to worry, the weather gives me plenty of time to surf IIS, and boy am I learning a lot (although I haven't yet ventured too much outside of the Beginners' forums).

Thank you very much for the viewing tips. The Trapezium and Vega will be my next challenge.

Last time, when I looked at Jupiter, it must have been 34-40 degrees above the horizon. Adding to this that it was fairly close to the Moon and that it had been a hot day, I now understand why the seeing wasn't that great.

I 'll report on my next viewing (should I open another post for that?)

Cheers,

Eric
Old 07-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Shark Bait (Stu)
'ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha'

Quote:
Next... point that same high mag. ep at Sirius and split it to reveal it's tiny "pup". At first you'll probably laugh and say (as I did!) how the heck, that is so bright, but take a good look and you'll see a tiny speck sitting above it.
Splitting stars is a lot of fun and rewarding when the bright moon is out or to go for between cloud gaps.
This is my new mission. Time to throw down a challenge Eric . We are both fairly new to observing with telescopes. Lets see who can observe the 'pup' first and then report back to this thread.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:16 PM
EricB (Eric)
Waiting for good seeing!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Bait View Post
This is my new mission. Time to throw down a challenge Eric . We are both fairly new to observing with telescopes. Lets see who can observe the 'pup' first and then report back to this thread.
Not fair Stu. You are way more advanced than me! Plus we are having winter in February in Adelaide! The skies are desperately cloudy night after night.

Joke aside, I am up to the challenge as soon as I can get the scope out.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 09-02-2012, 12:02 AM
EricB (Eric)
Waiting for good seeing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g__day View Post
Consider getting a zoom 6 mm <-> 24 mm quality eye piece.

Matt
How do zooms compare with single eye pieces?

Cheers,

Eric