Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Celestial and Astronomical Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-08-2013, 07:30 AM
Liz

A better morning today with beautiful clear skies, and I managed to spot about 14 meteors in a 70 minute period. 5 of these were Perseids, with 3 quite bright smoking ones, though not as bright as yesterdays beauty.
Alas, had my alarm set wrong, so didnt get outside until 4.45, but still was a very fruitful and enjoyable morning. Might try again tomorrow.
Imaged a couple but not as many as I hoped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Perseid.jpg)
108.3 KB28 views
Click for full-size image (Perseid2.jpg)
191.4 KB32 views
Old 13-08-2013, 08:01 AM
gaa_ian (Ian)
1300 THESKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
A better morning today with beautiful clear skies, and I managed to spot about 14 meteors in a 70 minute period. 5 of these were Perseids, with 3 quite bright smoking ones, though not as bright as yesterdays beauty.
Alas, had my alarm set wrong, so didnt get outside until 4.45, but still was a very fruitful and enjoyable morning. Might try again tomorrow.
Imaged a couple but not as many as I hoped.
It is great that so many folks here are seeing the Perseids.
Sounds like you had a good morning Liz, I managed to see 1 good fireball when I finally dragged myself out of bed back here in cairns at 5:30am today !
I have just come back from 4 days at the Garma festival in Arnhem Land NT where I did Aboriginal Astronomy tours for over 200 people and a few hardy souls even ventured out with me at 4:30am to catch some Perseids.
Saturday morning was my best where I saw 1 fireball and 2 of what I call tree skimming sparklers along with about 10 other perseids. Tree skimming Sparklers=2 bright Perseids in succession going in opposite directions above the tree line

We also had 1 sporadic bolide the evening before to the north, which was seen by many.
PS: thanks for the fireball vs Bolide explanation Liz, I have been using them interchangeably

Last edited by gaa_ian; 13-08-2013 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 13-08-2013, 08:34 AM
algwat (Alan)

I had my all sky camera looking this morning. after being rained on the clouds cleared about 0400. Only caught this one meteor by the tail. Not a Perseid, as the radiant is below north horizon from Melbourne and this one is in southern quarter heading south.

regards, Alan
http://cometal-comets.blogspot.com.au/
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20130813-0446-meteor.png)
174.6 KB28 views
Old 13-08-2013, 09:29 AM
StephenM (Stephen)

Hi all,

I was out looking for Perseids from about 4am until 5:20am, and saw four of them from light-polluted Brisbane skies. I had the camera running next to me, and was able to capture the 2 brightest ones,at about 4:18 and 5:12 am (the second of these was very spectacular, but it moved out of the frame before reaching maximum brightness ).

Cheers,
Stephen
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_1215.jpg)
189.6 KB41 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_1540.jpg)
188.5 KB43 views
Old 13-08-2013, 09:57 AM
Paullus (Paul)

Hi everyone,

I was watching from 4am to 5am this morning from Toowoomba. Saw a really big one around 4:15 (might have been the same as was StephenM saw), one smaller one a few mins later, and then that was it. I unfortunately missed the first one with the camera due to operator error, but after stacking all my other frames I picked up few tiny ones. Nothing worth posting though.

That first one I saw was quite spectacular - makes me want to go out again tomorrow morning just for a great photo!

Cheers
Old 13-08-2013, 11:23 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Hey Suzy,

I didn't go out last night.

I did post one to my FB timeline the other night, but, I think it was a Southern Delta Aquariid as it was heading east. Check it out when you get the time.

Fingers-crossed for the Orionids!

H
Old 13-08-2013, 02:28 PM
Sarah84

Headed out for a look at 5am this morning - saw one absolute ripper at about 5:10am, but nothing after that. Was still worth getting up for!
Old 13-08-2013, 04:37 PM
StephenM (Stephen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah84 View Post
Headed out for a look at 5am this morning - saw one absolute ripper at about 5:10am, but nothing after that. Was still worth getting up for!
Hi Sarah,

That one you saw was the second one I captured - and it was an absolute ripper wasn't it! You could see bits coming off it as it burned up. I'm glad someone else in SE Qld saw it

Cheers,
Stephen
Old 13-08-2013, 05:25 PM
Liz

This is what is great about this shower, not a lot of meteors, but the meteors there are 'rippers' as Sarah says.

2 nights ago I saw am absolutely beauty, and last night 2 more, though not as bright they were still smokin!!

The others who have looked up here have all seen one amazing one, what fun!!

I am going to have one more go in the morning.

ian - sparklers ... I like that

Good luck to all heading out for the last hoorah.
Old 13-08-2013, 06:27 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Wow Stephen I'm so glad someone got that shot! The really bright long one that is.
I saw it too!
Just wondering, do you have your times mixed around with the photos? As I saw the brighter one too, here from Brisbane with the same angle and really long length at the same time you have at 4.18am, but you've got this one at 5.20am (I wrote the time down for 4.15 as by the time I measured and wrote in book it was 4.20, so time close enough to yours). The other shot doesn't match what I saw at that time. Or maybe there just happened to be two at the same time and I missed one.
Oh... just noticed Paul from Toowoomba saw it too.

I only caught one between 4 and 5.30am. Which sounds like the one Stephen and Paul saw. A really long and bright fireball which stretched all the way into Pisces . And it looked like it was stuck in the sky shining brilliantly forever! I measured the distance to Pisces in degrees using my hands- 50 degrees at least, I ran out of hands , and then I checked with the sky programme and it was a minimum of that. . The biggest, baddest meteor I've ever seen!
I told myself if I only see one or two good fireballs I would be extremely happy. I'm still grinning. Just seeing that one was worth it, I didn't care if I didn't see anymore. And I didn't.
Sarah, I know exactly where you're coming from!

H, I'm sorry to hear you didn't get any but at least you had a go hey.
I will go take a look at that pic.
Old 13-08-2013, 06:29 PM
JB80 (Jarrod)
Aussie abroad.

I saw 7 but had to go to bed early, I have half a dozen or so on camera but nothing too spectacular.
Also caught what might be a looping smoke trail but no meteor so I can't really tell if it is or not, I know I visually saw a couple of trails.
Also bagged a satellite doublet flaring which is a first.
Old 13-08-2013, 08:19 PM
Sarah84

Yay! I'm glad others in SE Qld saw the big one too! The time was definitely 5:10 - 5:15am. It went straight from north to south, seemed to go the whole length of the sky. I'll probably pop out tomorrow morning for another look.
Sitting here watching the episode of Big Bang Theory where they are out observing the Leonids - sooooo funny!!
Old 15-08-2013, 06:22 PM
JB80 (Jarrod)
Aussie abroad.

Well, just when you're not trying and all that I get this one last night.

Actually got another one in the very first image of the run but this is the better one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_0047z.jpg)
178.5 KB27 views
Old 15-08-2013, 06:41 PM
Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB80 View Post
Well, just when you're not trying and all that I get this one last night.

Actually got another one in the very first image of the run but this is the better one.
Ooh, very nice, right past the Andromeda Galaxy!!
Old 15-08-2013, 06:59 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

That is just too cool !! Thanks for that, made my lack of anything to see here all just a bad memory.
Old 15-08-2013, 07:26 PM
JB80 (Jarrod)
Aussie abroad.

Cheers, here is the other one which looks like it's going straight for Andromeda but not as bright.
It's straight out of the camera and was a 2 minute exposure hence ze orange.
DSS wont let me stack the two for some reason.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_0012d.jpg)
222.7 KB22 views
Old 19-08-2013, 08:29 PM
redomatic (Michael)

Stephen and Paul, could this be the same one?
I'm in Maryborough (3 hrs north) so it's much lower in the south for me.
Is it possible?
(my metadata said 5:07am, but I'm not sure how accurate my camera clock is set!!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (xDSC_2857.jpg)
166.3 KB17 views