Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29-07-2019, 06:50 AM
jeff65 (Jeff)

Machining the Antikythera Mechanism

I came across this series of videos yesterday and wasted the entire afternoon watching them. Amazing and addictive!

First in the series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML4tw_UzqZE

Also watched all of the supporting "Antikythera Fragments" videos showing tool-making and methods for the main series.

I read elsewhere that the series is paused because the maker discovered something previously unknown about the Antikythera Mechanism and is working on publishing the findings.
Old 29-07-2019, 07:07 AM
bojan
amateur

Amazing contraption, isn't it?

Some people published working models suitable for 3D printing.... this is one of them...
Old 29-07-2019, 08:59 AM
JA

Superb workmanship ! Thanks for sharing Jeff.

Best
JA
Old 29-07-2019, 09:39 AM
julianh72 (Julian)

We just came back from a holiday in Europe, including a couple of weeks in Greece. While we were in the town of Archea Olympia (the original site of the Olympic Games - an absolutely stunning archaeological site), we came across a privately run "Archimedes Museum", which features working models of examples of ancient Greek technology - including a working Reconstruction of the Antikythera machine.
https://archimedesmuseum.gr/en
http://kotsanas.com/gb/exh.php?exhibit=1301001

The museum is founded and operated by a Mechanical Engineer, Konstantinos Kotsanas, so while there might be an element of hypothesis / imagination in some of the reconstructions, they are all based upon sound engineering theory, and a good understanding of ancient Greek technology.

He also runs the “Museum of Ancient Greek Technology” in Athens, and the “Museum of Ancient Greek Musical Instruments and Toys” in Katakolo, but we didn't get to those.
Old 29-07-2019, 10:56 AM
jeff65 (Jeff)

Of course the original device is a marvel, but my interest in these videos is seeing the skill of the modern maker.

He makes the precision files, hand drill, drill bits, work vise, and goes through the marking techniques used. It's just amazing. He's not a purist in that he uses lots of modern tools, too. It's fascinating to see the range of skills involved.

I would think anyone needing to make precision parts could learn a few things from watching the series. I struggle to drill a hole in exactly the spot I want, let alone two that must align with each other!
Old 29-07-2019, 11:17 AM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff65 View Post
...... I struggle to drill a hole in exactly the spot I want, let alone two that must align with each other!
Well.. without something like shown on attached image, anyone would struggle...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_20170813_151358.jpg)
207.1 KB44 views