Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2023, 04:21 PM
Startrek (Martin)

List of Narrowband Emission Lines for Nebula

As I’m soon venturing into the new world of Mono imaging and this has prompted me to ask a question about the various degree and types of emission lines in each popular Emission Nebula and Planetary Nebula.
For a OSC user it’s not as important due to using multiband filters but for a Mono imager it makes sense to get an understanding of the types and strengths of emission lines in an object.
For example, there’s no point spending hours imaging with your Sii filter if that object has little or no Sii emission. The time spent could have been used more wisely to capture more relevant emission lines.
I found this website which covers a few objects but I’m wondering if any Mono imagers evaluate an object and the filters required before imaging ? Or just shoot all 3 ( Ha , Oiii and Sii ) and process accordingly.
Seems to me waisted time , and clear sky is precious, unless your in a desert.
I realise that Ha is the dominant emission line but it would be an advantage to know the strengths of Oiii and Sii ( even Hb ).

https://www.galactic-hunter.com/post...r-expectations

Is there a chart or list out there somewhere similar to the link for emission objects in our southern skies

Most data on emission nebula ( eg: Stellarium) just say H11 region in the specs

Comments , experience and advice welcome
Old 14-08-2023, 10:10 PM
frank777 (Frank)

Good question, and one that I've also considered since moving to mono imaging a few months ago. I don't know of any resources that list the narrowband characteristics of particular DSOs. However, in response to a similar question posed on Astrobin recently, the top tier (only, unfortunately) now has an advanced search option which can filter searches for "filter type", including narrow band and many other filter types. I immediately upgraded my membership and I've used it a few times to see what others have used on particular targets.

Frank
Old 15-08-2023, 11:27 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Thanks Frank
I’m actually surprised there’s no generic table or filter chart relating to emission objects
I guess there’s so many filters types and variations in bandwidths plus varying sky conditions that it would be a monumental task to formulate ( maybe in my spare time ? )

The Astrobin suggestion looks like a good starting point

After a few years at Mono , I suppose experience kicks in like everything else in the hobby

Cheers
Martin
Old 15-08-2023, 01:31 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
As I’m soon venturing into the new world of Mono imaging and this has prompted me to ask a question about the various degree and types of emission lines in each popular Emission Nebula and Planetary Nebula.
For a OSC user it’s not as important due to using multiband filters but for a Mono imager it makes sense to get an understanding of the types and strengths of emission lines in an object.
For example, there’s no point spending hours imaging with your Sii filter if that object has little or no Sii emission. The time spent could have been used more wisely to capture more relevant emission lines.
I found this website which covers a few objects but I’m wondering if any Mono imagers evaluate an object and the filters required before imaging ? Or just shoot all 3 ( Ha , Oiii and Sii ) and process accordingly.
Seems to me waisted time , and clear sky is precious, unless your in a desert.
I realise that Ha is the dominant emission line but it would be an advantage to know the strengths of Oiii and Sii ( even Hb ).

https://www.galactic-hunter.com/post...r-expectations

Is there a chart or list out there somewhere similar to the link for emission objects in our southern skies

Most data on emission nebula ( eg: Stellarium) just say H11 region in the specs

Comments , experience and advice welcome
The study of the spectra of stars is definitely the province of spectroscopists of which there are a few onboard here at IIS. Perhaps Ken (Merlin66) if he sees this could comment (Hi Ken)

I have seen the sort of data you are seeking in tables of sorts, but unsure of a reference.

Best
JA
Old 16-08-2023, 06:44 AM
SteveInNZ2 (Steve)

Richard Walker's "Spectral Atlas for Amateur Astronomers" has spectra for a lot of stars and some emission nebulae, galaxies, planets and sky glow. It doesn't have everything you are asking for, but it does give you a good idea of what to expect from different types of objects and what's going on.

Maybe see if you can get it from a library as it may or may not be the sort of thing you're interested in.

Steve.
Old 16-08-2023, 11:06 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
The study of the spectra of stars is definitely the province of spectroscopists of which there are a few onboard here at IIS. Perhaps Ken (Merlin66) if he sees this could comment (Hi Ken)

I have seen the sort of data you are seeking in tables of sorts, but unsure of a reference.

Best
JA
That link to Galactic Hunter is pretty much what I’m after but it relates to the northern hemisphere and only has a handful of objects which we image down under
Old 16-08-2023, 11:06 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInNZ2 View Post
Richard Walker's "Spectral Atlas for Amateur Astronomers" has spectra for a lot of stars and some emission nebulae, galaxies, planets and sky glow. It doesn't have everything you are asking for, but it does give you a good idea of what to expect from different types of objects and what's going on.

Maybe see if you can get it from a library as it may or may not be the sort of thing you're interested in.

Steve.
Thanks Steve
Old 16-08-2023, 12:38 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

It's fun finding out Martin via hands on in my opinion.

I suppose it has to do with how you select an object but my approach is I select it because it appeals in some way and I may get onto it from noticing a photo or wandering around a planetarium to see what may be available in a particular region...and then reading about the object often gives a hint...if you find your list it certainly can form part of the process.

I often have a few hopefuls and I will take a single exposures at high gain for 60 seconds of each hopeful in each band if indeed I have not settled on an object ..so even if you have three hopefuls that is only 9 captures...these images are not flash but they give you an idea of what each filter will produce.. also may help in framing..from there I usually pick the hopeful that shows the best response overall...

It really does not take much time ..less than 10 minutes all up if averaged for each object ...and focus does not have to be perfect..that comes later...often the choice is between just two but even three takes very little time...and results are specific for your gear conditions etc...you can tell if you need more time with which filter...

It is a ruff approach but gives you a lot of cheap experience so not time wasted.

My bet is you won't rush past Ha as it will grab you for a while

I am very much looking forward to your results but in particular your first Ha grab.

Addition via Edit.
I find so often for what ever reason I do a run Ha, S11 and O11 and go thru the results and you find most of one channel has not come out and after culling instead of having 60 subs in each you only have 7 usable in say O11 and so the next night you find you may need another 7 Ha, 5 S11 but 43 O11 ...but as O11 has been elusive you may go for 100 of it and just a few more for the others...to me it is like a jig saw puzzle and you put together the bits you can and keep looking for more of what you don't have.

I am not an expert but if you use my approach to build upon it may be of help starting.

AND keep notes....record steps ..I am old but the complexity should not be over looked even by you young fellas and just dont rely on remembering ...it is so easy to find yourself asking..what filter am I on now...and probably expect three nights to get all you want...sometimes..well most times.

alex

Last edited by xelasnave; 16-08-2023 at 12:56 PM.
Old 16-08-2023, 04:52 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Thanks Alex,
Appreciate your comments
Yes , Agree at the end of the day is all about experimenting, having fun and gaining experience
However, if an object has super weak Sii signal what’s the point of spending hours using your Sii filter when you could capture more Ha and Oiii etc…,
A table or chart on emission and planetary nebula would be a good way to maximise sky time and as we all know that sky time is precious to us ( retired or not )
I suppose my mind set to maximise the data on a capture stems from being a OSC imager for years where you just point and shoot ( filter or no filter ) and now with Mono , maximising your filter selection on specific objects would improve efficiency and outcomes.
I guess you could say I’m a bit of a control freak

Probably after a few years imaging Mono , the above would have less significance due to gaining experience with objects and processing.

Nevertheless it’s all exciting stuff and a sort of a privilege owning a 2600MC and 2600MM , not too many folk can afford such luxury

Best
Martin
Old 16-08-2023, 09:18 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Martin I totally agree ..a short high gain capture will tell you I feel is my point..only a minute or two and you will get a feel if hours will be a waste of time...
AND if you want control you really can benefit by being specific and determine how your gear and particular filter work by implementing a simple test run.

But find your list it will help if nothing else to satisfy your need for control.

alex
Old 18-08-2023, 09:48 AM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

Cloudynights had a really good thread on the top 100 targets for narrowband imaging and their emission spectra - looked at that about a month ago!
Old 18-08-2023, 12:47 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by g__day View Post
Cloudynights had a really good thread on the top 100 targets for narrowband imaging and their emission spectra - looked at that about a month ago!
Thanks
Do you have a link ?
I tried CN and couldn’t find that thread , just posts with discussion about Narrowband filters and some discussions about observing
Cheers
M
Old 18-08-2023, 01:46 PM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/499265-narrowband-imaging-targets-for-the-summer/

is a good start - but there were 2 or 3 excellent threads like this one - Google cloudynights narrowband targets or all the key links are at the bottom of the first post

Small excert
M8 Lagoon Nebula (90')
M16 Eagle Nebula (35')
M17 Omega Nebula (46')
NGC 6820 Sh2-86 (40')
M27 Dumbbell Nebula (15')
NGC 6888 Crescent Nebula (20')
IC 5068 (80')
IC 5070 Pelican Nebula (80')
NGC 7000 North American Nebula (150+')
NGC 6960 Western Veil (70')
NGC 6992 Eastern Veil Nebula (60')
IC 1396 Elephant Trunk Nebula (150')
NGC 7293 Helix Nebula (20')
NGC 7380 Wizard Nebula (30')
Sh2-155 Cave Nebula (60') Note: either full narrowband or HaRGB is possible
NGC 7635 Bubble Nebula (40') Note: widefield views can include M52
NGC 7822 (60')
NGC 281 Pacman Nebula (40')
Old 18-08-2023, 01:48 PM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5...aging-targets/

IC 1805 Heart Nebula (150')
IC 1848 Soul Nebula (120')
NGC 1499 California Nebula (145')
IC 405 Flaming Star Nebula (30')
M42 Orion Nebula (66')
IC 434 Horsehead Nebula (60')
Sh2-261 Lower's Nebula (45')
NGC 2174 Monkey Head Nebula (40')
IC 443 Jellyfish Nebula (50')
Sh2-275 Rosette Nebula (80') Note: The Rosette Neb has several NGC numbers, so I use Sharpless
NGC 2264 Cone Nebula (80'+)
IC 2177 Seagull Nebula (120')
Abell 21 Medusa Nebula (11')

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/508257-narrowband-imaging-targets-for-the-fall/

IC 1396 Elephant Trunk Nebula (150')
NGC 7293 Helix Nebula (20')
NGC 7380 Wizard Nebula (30')
Sh2-155 Cave Nebula (60') Note: either full narrowband or HaRGB is possible
NGC 7635 Bubble Nebula (40') Note: widefield views can include M52
NGC 7822 (60')
NGC 281 Pacman Nebula (40')
IC 63 Gamma Cass(10'+) Note: w/ IC 59; bright star Gamma Cass will be in frame and makes this challenging
IC 1805 Heart Nebula (150')
IC 1848 Soul Nebula (120')
NGC 1499 California Nebula (145')
IC 405 Flaming Star Nebula (30')
M42 Orion Nebula (66')
IC 434 Horsehead Nebula (60')

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5...aging-targets/

Has a formatted list of excellent advanced targets

an aggregated link is https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5...wband-targets/
Old 18-08-2023, 02:54 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Thanks Mathew,
Some great information
Cheers
Martin
Old 23-08-2023, 10:53 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

I generally don't bother looking for data on objects to work out what filters to use. I just take a couple of test images with each of HA-Oiii and Sii to see what I get, and go from there.

I probably wouldn't have much luck with lists anyway, I find myself hunting for less commonly imaged objects on the whole.