Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2015, 08:44 AM
alphanull25 (Niall)

Alignment Confusion

Hi. I have a HEQ5 Pro and I am wondering why the following problem happens. I set it all up correctly balanced etc and go through the SynScan procedure for a two star alignment. I chose Sirius and Canopus. Then I do a polar alignment using Canopus. This is repeated a few times and I got an accuracy of 0 on both axis. Now I decide, this is great, and tell the scope to go to Jupiter. This is where the problems begin. Jupiter is way off target. I tell the scope to find Canopus again. It is again way off target. I do another two star alignment and I am told that it is out by several degrees. I don't understand how I can get a good polar alignment and then it is totally off when I go anywhere else in the sky.
This has been going on for months and no amount of study, advice and practice makes any difference.

Location Beenleigh QLD
Scope Skywatcher 8"
Mount Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro SynScan v3.37
Old 11-05-2015, 08:51 AM
BeanerSA (Paul)

Polar alignment is not the same as SynScan alignment.

You polar align by aligning your mount in the home position towards the south celestial pole, and then perform your SynScan alignment. Is that what you are doing?
Old 11-05-2015, 09:36 AM
alphanull25 (Niall)

Hi Paul. Yes I am doing that. Align the N leg as close as I can to 169 degrees (for Brisbane) then start everything up. I do the 2 star alignment, then choose the polar alignment option. I accept that this will only be rough alignment as I want to achieve, eventually, a good enough alignment for astro photography. However, at the moment I am just getting the first steps right
Old 11-05-2015, 09:45 AM
BeanerSA (Paul)

Do you have the date set correctly? US date format (mm/dd/yyyy)? Latest software on the handset?

I don't understand this bit
Quote:
I do the 2 star alignment, then choose the polar alignment option.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:50 AM
Larryp (Laurie)

Hi Niall
After you do your polar alignment, you need to re-do your Synscan alignment, because you have moved your mount in azimuth and altitude for your polar alignment from the original position of the Synscan alignment. This is why your Synscan is telling you it is off by several degrees. Re-doing your Synscan alignment will of course, not change your polar alignment because you do not touch your altitude and azimuth adjusters for a Synscan alignment.

Last edited by Larryp; 11-05-2015 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:54 PM
alphanull25 (Niall)

Thanks guys for your advice. I am going to try out the alignment again tonight. Cheers
Old 11-05-2015, 01:48 PM
BeanerSA (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphanull25 View Post
Thanks guys for your advice. I am going to try out the alignment again tonight. Cheers
I think you need to re-read the manual and follow it step-by-step too. (That doesn't sound very friendly, but it was meant in a friendly way!)
Old 13-05-2015, 08:25 AM
BeanerSA (Paul)

Any joy with your setup?
Old 13-05-2015, 09:08 AM
jjz (Joe)

What version of synscan software do you have? I have a v4 controller and I had a similar issue and I found out it was flipping my GMT settings from positive to negative.

I had to save the GMT as +0 then it would store positive values again after a restart

Jjz
Old 13-05-2015, 01:13 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

I always finish off after the polar alignment with a 2 star alignment. I also switch between stars on the PA routine.
Old 19-05-2015, 01:28 PM
alphanull25 (Niall)

Hi. I didn't realise the thread was continuing lol. Yes I have had success but it is a bit strange. Firstly, I am using Synscan v3.37. I follow each polar alignment with a 2 star alignment. If I return to, lets say Arcturus, and polar align until I get zero in both axis, this is great. I do a two star alignment to finish up then I decide the move the telescope to Canopus. I would expect that Canopus would be in the centre of the eypiece, but the Synscan is telling me that I am 1 or 2 degrees out. I don't understand how the Synscan can tell me there is no misalignment pointing at Arcturus in the NE and be out of alignment in the SW. And to a previous thought, I have been reading the manual and every forum I could find for 10 months. Thanks anyway

Last edited by alphanull25; 19-05-2015 at 05:14 PM.