Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2020, 03:16 PM
graham.hobart (Graham stevens)
DeepSkySlacker

my covid project

Although not being totally furloughed due to work continuing, I have had a few days off and finally managed to get my arse in gear and make this RC plane. From a Balsa kit from Aeroflyte- the Hustler III. I believe the rights and plans were sold to a company in Adelaide which has since burnt down. It has taken me about four months working very slowly. I am just now waiting for the long rubber bands to come to hold the wings on as they were sold out at my local model shop.
It has 3 servos and an electric motor. Covering is heat shrink film but I ran out of the same colour hence the tutti fruiti appearance.
I just need to balance it then-when the local flying field opens, take it there to allow someone who knows what they are doing crash it first!! Has been great fun.
Ladies and Gentlemen- call sign COV-19!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_2365.jpg)
121.5 KB97 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_2337.jpg)
120.2 KB91 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_2336.jpg)
107.1 KB105 views
Old 01-06-2020, 04:03 PM
leon

Hey Graham, great job, have to admit they are fun projects, hope yours flies better than mine did so many years ago.

I made a model as well with a small propeller motor, anyway on completion i took it across the road to a large open space, I had lived across this space for many years, but didn't think to look up this time.

It took of and straight into high voltage electricity wires, blew up the plane and put the neighborhood into darkness on Christmas Eve for a while.

I bolted inside never to fly again. and watched as the SEC Trucks came around the corner trying to figure out how this power cut occurred

Leon
Old 01-06-2020, 04:09 PM
DeepSkySlacker

Covid

Hi Leon- great story!! that is why I am waiting for the RC club to open, I know it will be a sod to fly even for experienced peeps as it is not quite square- comes with building it on a tiny table!!
Old 01-06-2020, 04:09 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
It took of and straight into high voltage electricity wires, blew up the plane and put the neighborhood into darkness on Christmas Eve for a while.

I bolted inside never to fly again.

Leon
LOL Leon, that made me laugh.
I can just imagine, the following September there was a mini baby boom in the ‘hood’

Old 01-06-2020, 04:29 PM
DeepSkySlacker

Covid

Hi Leon- great story!! that is why I am waiting for the RC club to open, I know it will be a sod to fly even for experienced peeps as it is not quite square- comes with building it on a tiny table!!
Old 01-06-2020, 04:38 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Very cool. I see you have two very excited little helpers. Did you tension the wings and fuselage skin with acetone? You can get a really nice smooth finish with no kinks. Best done outdoors though of the whole family will be on an ISO high.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:52 PM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

Hi Graham, Both my son and I had the original Hustler and it was a great flying plane. Very well known and liked design. Most trainers had flat bottomed wings but the Hustler had a semi-symmetrical foil which handled a lot better(especially in wind) We had .40 sized glow motors in ours which made it a fair bit overpowered and gave vertical performance. I think the recommended was .25 from memory. Have fun
Cheers, Richard
Old 01-06-2020, 06:13 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Had a .40 in mine too Richard.

Very forgiving to fly.

Enjoy,

DT
Old 01-06-2020, 07:17 PM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

Yeah a classic David. My son still has his in his shed ready to fly(along with about 50 others ). Also has a full size Skyfox in a hangar at Mt. Gambier airport
Cheers, Richard.
PS Graham , A lot of newsagents stock the rubber bands you're after (or stationary shops). Also make sure you balance the plane accurately. Very important!

Last edited by croweater; 01-06-2020 at 07:24 PM. Reason: added info
Old 01-06-2020, 07:27 PM
leon

Glad you enjoyed that RB, but at the time things seemed a little different, after i carried the wreckage home, burnt to a crisp.

Leon
Old 01-06-2020, 07:32 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Glad you enjoyed that RB, but at the time things seemed a little different, after i carried the wreckage home, burnt to a crisp.

Leon
Been there, done that, Leon.
I won't elaborate....

BTW nice plane Graham.
Probably the only one flying during Covid.

Old 01-06-2020, 10:40 PM
DeepSkySlacker

Very cool. I see you have two very excited little helpers. Did you tension the wings and fuselage skin with acetone? You can get a really nice smooth finish with no kinks. Best done outdoors though of the whole family will be on an ISO high-
Not thought of that-
I got it pretty tight on the wings with the heating iron. I have some acetone as I cleaned a corrector with it recently- plus I superglued my fingers together and had to use it!!
Will have a look and a play.
Thanks folks- good to read your experiences.
It has been a great time doing it and now thinking of another one- maybe bigger!!