Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2023, 11:55 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

Minimum weight load for a Losmandy G11 for imaging.

Hey everyone, long time no see!

I'm getting back in the game and have secured a G11 as the starting point for my new rig.

I won't have it in my hands for a couple of weeks at this point, so I'm hoping someone can help me out.

For the short term, I won't have a cooled camera or a quality scope to image with, but while I'm building up an imaging train, I was hoping to use my 200mm f/2.8 and dslr to re-hone the basics of setup and drift alignment etc.

I do fear, though, that the camera and lens won't be enough weight, as in, once I fit the counterweight shaft, the shift alone will grossly outweigh the payload due to tangent arm length.

Can anyone advise on this?

Scope wise, I was going to start with a 70~80mm apo and a 50mm finder-guider, which will still not be much weight, but I have a few machinists in my friend group so I can easily get a small counterweight made..

If it would be better to add more weight, I can go to a 80mm achro guide scope, mount that up and piggyback my dslr on that, unless someone has a better option?

Keen to hear some thoughts!
Old 02-10-2023, 11:08 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

I have a G11 and at times also imaged with only lenses and a CCD at the end. I have a small 5kg weight on the shaft side and I pack some small alu discs I got cut in thin slices from a round to counter balance and also tweak the DEC balance. I'll dig up a picture to show you.
Old 02-10-2023, 01:26 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

Awesome. That sounds positive! My idea may just be possible.