Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Mike21 (Michael)

Photography from BIG boats?

Ever since I knew that TSE's were chased by ships, I've always wondered how photographers achieved high quality astroshots from a swaying deck. I realise that these ships are BIG and that the Sun is relatively big and relatively close but surely, even in calm waters, some form of stabilization is required which I know nothing about.

Any explanations from you clever-types?
Old 17-07-2010, 08:10 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Can't remember which boat it's on, but it has a full observatory with an 18" scope that's gyro-stabilised. It's even better than having it setup on land!!! Apparently they can also compensate for the movement of the ship when tracking objects, so they can take piccies using the scope.
Old 17-07-2010, 09:58 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by renormalised View Post
Can't remember which boat it's on, but it has a full observatory with an 18" scope that's gyro-stabilised.
So the obs is the place to be when the sea turns really rough.
Old 17-07-2010, 10:22 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
So the obs is the place to be when the sea turns really rough.
I'd say so
Old 17-07-2010, 10:59 PM
Mike21 (Michael)

Thanks Carl,

I've seen those gyro set ups on tech programmes on tele. Apparently they are useful in calming the motion of smaller boats for pewkers. When the boat is anchored (and maybe at other times too I can't remember) the engines drive these massive fly wheels which actually drastically reduce the motion of small(ish) boats; smaller than ocean liners anyway.

Thanks for your answer.

Do you know anything about cruises designed for astronomers on non-gyro equipped liners? Is eclipse photography possible without the gyro?
Old 17-07-2010, 11:46 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Mike, it's not the ship that's gyro-stabilised...it's the scope

The ships is stabilised with the usual stabilisers, but the scope is isolated from the ship's movements.

Although ships can be gyro-stabilised.
Old 18-07-2010, 10:03 AM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike21 View Post
Thanks Carl,

I've seen those gyro set ups on tech programmes on tele. Apparently they are useful in calming the motion of smaller boats for pewkers. When the boat is anchored (and maybe at other times too I can't remember) the engines drive these massive fly wheels which actually drastically reduce the motion of small(ish) boats; smaller than ocean liners anyway.

Thanks for your answer.

Do you know anything about cruises designed for astronomers on non-gyro equipped liners? Is eclipse photography possible without the gyro?
I took an LX90 on a cruise ship once, for the hell of it, we had an outside balcony, fantastic for visual, sunsets and looking at shore lines etc, but a complete waste of time for photos, at anytime, parked or not, constant movement, and this crusie ship was "stabalised". Eclipses with a DSLR would be possible with very short exposures and stock lens.
Old 18-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Rob_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassnut View Post
I took an LX90 on a cruise ship once, for the hell of it, we had an outside balcony, fantastic for visual, sunsets and looking at shore lines etc, but a complete waste of time for photos, at anytime, parked or not, constant movement, and this crusie ship was "stabalised". Eclipses with a DSLR would be possible with very short exposures and stock lens.
Yep, pretty much sums it up in view of my recent experience with the July 11 eclipse. Limited to short exposures. Attached frame shows serious movement even in a 1/8 sec exposure, at 200mm. 1/40 sec was pushing it, but just OK. The ship I was on was small compared to the big cruise liners, but it wasn't exactly a tinnie either. My ship, the Aranui 3, and similar ships used by others to view the eclipse (eg the Paul Gauguin), just aren't stable enough for anything other than short exposures.

Cheers -
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_4242 1-8 sec.jpg)
60.1 KB14 views
Old 18-07-2010, 12:34 PM
DavidU (Dave)
Like to learn

I would say it is possibe. NASA has an airbourne telescope that is gyroscope stabilised.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (sofia_open_door_lg.jpg)
58.8 KB21 views
Old 18-07-2010, 08:58 PM
Mike21 (Michael)

Thanks Carl,

I did understand that you were talking about a gyro stabilized deck, not a gyro stabilized boat/ship. All I was saying was that gyros are so powerful that they can settle the whole boat (if it is small enough) to not upset the tummys of wealthy princesses who "simply have to have to be seen on the water Darling" but cannot cope with the uncomfortable gastric reactions and unsightly results. "It's just plain embarrassing Darling".

At least I know now. You either have a stabilized deck, or you take very short exposures; which I guess is an option with eclipses.

Thank you too Dave. I had wondered how the hell they managed to fly a plane smoothly enough to operate a telescope.

I will sleep happily tonight!