Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28-10-2018, 09:05 AM
Graeme Bluestar (Graeme)

Apollo 11 Anniversary

As next year is the 50th anniversary of Armstrong walking on the Moon we are considering a trip to the USA June/July 2019. I'm sure there will be all kinds of commemorative events planned to mark this milestone - does anyone have any ideas as to what would be worth attending over there?

At present all we have in mind is flying direct to Houston followed by a road trip across to Cape Canaveral with a stop at Huntsville Alabama on the way. If any of you have something similar planned, or have visited these sites previously, any suggestions/tips you may have would be greatly appreciated!

Graeme.
Old 30-10-2018, 09:10 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Hi Graeme,
I recently retired in July and my wife and I spent a 5 weeks touring across Canada , down to Florida and stopped off at Hawaii on the way home
We spent 3 days at the Kennedy Space Centre which included daily admission and 2 separate tours ( KSC explore tour and Cape Canaveral early space tour )
We stayed at the Best Western Cocoa beach which was about 25 minutes drive from the KSC. We didn’t drive in the US so had to rely on cabs to get us there and back ( $30 one way ) PS:there is no public transport anywhere , it’s either a hire car or cabs
Our KSC tickets were booked 2 months prior as this place gets really busy in the holiday period
3 days was just about spot on if your doing extra tours like we did
Highlights for me were the Apollo Saturn Complex, and the Cape Canaveral early space tour ( you have to provide your passport details as the Cape area is now operated by the US airforce)
NASA do a great job running the facility and the tour guides are mostly retired or semi retired NASA staff who are very informative
The visit was a great experience for me seeing the launch sites and old rocket hardware etc. I watched most of the Gemini and Apollo launches on my parents black and white TV in the late 60s early 70s
Definitely one ticked off on my bucket list !!
Martin
Old 31-10-2018, 07:50 PM
Graeme Bluestar (Graeme)

Thanks Martin,
Your information is much appreciated, we definitely will be booking the two Cape Canaveral tours you recommend. Fortunately we have some experience of driving in the US on previous visits so the Best Western hotel sounds fine as a base to stay. The Johnson Space Center in Houston is also on our list, so need to find more info regarding the tours there. It is always great to hear tips and feedback from those who have already visited these places.
AS an 11 year old I watched Armstrong's first step on a little B & W TV in our primary school library. I can still remember thinking at the time I will live to see a man walk on Mars also - sadly that probably won't come to pass. Nevertheless it will be great to finally see in person where all this began.