Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-01-2015, 11:28 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

EOS - how to disable it

This is one for the DSLR (EOS) folks. And particularly for those running BackyardEOS or similar.

How can I stop EOS from butting in? BackyardEOS doesn't connect to the camera when EOS Utility is running. Fair enough. If you right-click on the icon in the bottom bar, there is a checkbox you can activate which says "Do not load EOS automatically when camera is connected" - terrific - only it doesn't work. It just keeps on coming back and I can't kill it. I tried uninstalling it but of course I lost my camera drivers along with it so that's not an option. Anyone got any idea about this? Last night and tonight (the only clear nights for months) I've had to prematurely terminate my imaging sessions because BEOS lost contact with the camera and wouldn't re-find it either and both times, I found that EOS Utility had crept back and I had to go back and re-quit it.

This is going to drive me batty.

Peter
Old 17-01-2015, 07:58 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

I uninstalled mine quite successfully for the same reason. Drivers are still available to run the camera from BYE.
The oher thing you might need to do is set the camera to stay on, not go into a timed shutdown state. That might be triggering the EOS restart.
Old 17-01-2015, 08:32 PM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

What windows version are you running Peter?
I run BYEOS and EOS utility side by side at times and never had an issue. I run a Win7 64 Bit.
When I plug in my DSLR and power it up, the EOS utility opens up, but I can just let it sit idle and open up BYEOS. Then I can choose to hover over the EOS utility and close it using the X button on the top right hand corner of the icon.
Bo
Old 18-01-2015, 02:42 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Hi Brent. You said:

"Drivers are still available to run the camera from BYE."

Are you sure about that. After I uninstalled EOS Utility, I could not load my 40D in BYE at all.

Hi Bo. You asked about versions - I'm running 7/64Bit. But when I start BYE, it tells me EOS Utility is already running and I should close it first.

Peter
Old 18-01-2015, 09:08 AM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrid View Post
Hi Brent. You said:

"Drivers are still available to run the camera from BYE."

Are you sure about that. After I uninstalled EOS Utility, I could not load my 40D in BYE at all.

Hi Bo. You asked about versions - I'm running 7/64Bit. But when I start BYE, it tells me EOS Utility is already running and I should close it first.

Peter
absolutely close it and make sure it never starts, you might have to manually make sure - i have to
Old 18-01-2015, 09:13 AM
rmuhlack (Richard)
Professional Nerd

BYE can be installed and will operate correctly on a PC which does not have EOS utility - BYE will install the relevant drivers if they are not already present as part of the setup process. Therefore, perhaps what you need to do is uninstall both BYE and EOS utility, and then do a fresh install of BYE.
Old 18-01-2015, 09:57 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

I've found a way to stop EOS Utility from auto-loading. You go into the Control Panel, open "All Control Panel Items" (i.e. the old-fashioned look) and one of the first items is "Auto-Play ". Open it and scroll down to the Canon EOS items and you'll see your cameras listed. For each instance of your camera, choose "Do nothing". That should stop the pesky little blighter. Otherwise it behaves like a stray cat - once fed, it won't ever leave.

Peter