Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-08-2005, 07:56 PM
Turkish

HI all

Hi guys and gals, newbie just checking out the scene and really enjoying "evesdropping" on some of the discussions here. Excellent forum you have here, lots of good, friendly and knowledgeable banter.

Being new to the hobby I having been reading all the advice i can on this forum , most of the questions are kinda being asked already on this forum. ie what scope should i get, what to avoid, how much to spend when starting etc...
I finally decided to stick my face out on the boards and say hi after reading most of the posts, and get more serious about the hobby.

As for me my first purschase was i pair of binoculars 11 x 70 saxon's, now i need to get a scope, hard to know what to get and where to get it from.

well thats all for now
got get back and trying to decide what to get and how much i need to spend. all these sites selling scopes

cheers
Turkish
Old 17-08-2005, 08:00 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

and Turkish. Glad you've come out of the cupboard.
Old 17-08-2005, 08:33 PM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

welcome, my signature at the bottom gives you an idea of what costs can be. I believe you can get into it for around $1000 and under. galaxies, planets, clusters etc. Once you start wanting to imaging ie tracking and all the extra goodies, you can add another $1000 to $1500.

an 8" or 10" or 12" dob (newtonian reflector with dobsonian mount) is a very signifcant piece of equipment and there wouldn't be a lot of reasons wo want to replace or upgrade that tube.

i hope you have as much fun as i have with all the guys. They are great sounding board. Always ready to help! Ask as many questions even if you think it is stupid. Being aussies, there will be some stirring, but most importantly an overwhelming human response to help.
Old 17-08-2005, 08:47 PM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

G'day delight! (sorry mate..I couldn't resist!) hehehe! Welcome to the forum.

Your doing good, your first purchase being binos.

Being some-what familiar with this forum already, you already know the standard reply to the question: "what scope do I buy!?" Then again, you may have a budget of 20K?? We may be able to suggest something else for a change?

Welcome Turkish!
Old 17-08-2005, 08:58 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Welcome Turkish, whatever your budget I'm sure you'll enjoy the jounrney..
Old 17-08-2005, 09:05 PM
seeker372011 (Narayan)
6EQUJ5

welcome Turkish
yes get the 8 inch Dob first unless you want to get into astrophotography and have $$$$$ to spend
Old 17-08-2005, 09:09 PM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

Welcome Turkish. L.
Old 19-08-2005, 06:52 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Turkish, nice of you to sign up and say g'day!

How did you hear about us?

Looks like you've been doing your research, which is great. Look forward to hearing the excited posts from you when you make the decision of what to get!

Oh also, you're in Melbourne, are you coming to the ballarat star camp?
Old 19-08-2005, 12:48 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

hiya turkey

I'd say that a 8" dob is a good starting point too. plenty of apperture to chase DSOs and planets
It all depends on what you want to do tho. if you want to take pics the you'd be better off with something that can track. tracking with a dob is done by hand and is not accurate at all.

ps: is seens to me that alot of ppl who buy a dobs wants to take pic anyhow.... weird huh. andrews have a 6" reflector on an eq5-6 that would be great for that sorta work for just a bit over a 8" dob price.
gs-500 $499
http://andrewscom.com.au/images/prod...ctor/gs500.jpg
gs-680 $399
http://andrewscom.com.au/images/prod...nian/gs680.jpg

welcome aboard
Old 19-08-2005, 05:26 PM
elusiver
i like lookin at stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asimov
Being some-what familiar with this forum already, you already know the standard reply to the question: "what scope do I buy!?"

turkish. GO THE DOB!

el
Old 19-08-2005, 07:01 PM
Turkish

thanks

thanks for your welcoming posts, and the advice.
looks like a reflector is the go for me. Dob or EQ ?
(need to learn collimate? and clean?)

i heard about the site when going thru astronomy online forums and saw this link and jumped on board, and really like a site for aussies and able to discuss locally.
as for the Star Camp sorry won't be able to go, since being new to the hobby and don't know anyone in the astro community. as for research iceman you guys are about to see my L plates in posts as i am very much a beginner, sorting out Dob's from Mak's?'

won't be into astrophotography, but you never know
hey asimov it's cool after i logged on i was waiting for it, and issac is one of my fav authors. i won't be accepted if i didn't cop my fair share.

I went to andrew's lee's site and was very excited with offers there but being in sydney i would be stuck for support and help down here,not to mention assembling the gear myself .

batsc was where i got my binos from 4 months ago v.v. helpful

My price range is 650-800, more into deep sky stuff nebula's and the like but i guess planets will be ok with a reflector, more of an all rounder i what i am after, aka Kapil Dev

Dobs could be the go, elusiver

"Delight"ed to be on "board"
Batsc 2morrow morning (Sat), and will have a chat to the ppl there and may buy something there and then
My problem is i want to start now and have no patience.

Please feel free to give advice on traps to avoid and the good oil on what to get and where.

thanks gang
Turkish
Old 19-08-2005, 07:31 PM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

Hi "Young turk!" (If your not a Rod Stuart fan, you won't have a clue?)

With a max of $800 to spend, perhaps the 10" dob from Andrews is the way to go. Although if you get the one with the crayford focuser & BK-7 primary, that only leaves you $100 (less postage) for any accessories you might want.

Also thinking an 8" dob may be suitable too. I suppose thinking along the lines of "biggest aperture for your budget" The 10" is more appropriate..
Old 19-08-2005, 07:38 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Quote:
as for the Star Camp sorry won't be able to go, since being new to the hobby and don't know anyone in the astro community.
You know us, and many of us will be there!

Not knowing anyone in the astro community is the perfect reason to go to the starcamp. Where else are you going to learn from looking through other people's scopes, see what they're like and get to know people?

I'd highly recommend making an effort to go along - you don't have to stay overnight, just come for the viewing.
Old 19-08-2005, 07:48 PM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

I was in your position Turkish a long time ago..& I still am: Not knowing anyone else into astronomy...But my reason was being in a remote location. Get your butt along to a viewing night of some description to give you an idea of what your in for.